Handlebars For An Old Guy

Superzoom

Hey All!

I am going to convert my FZ6R into a standard and wanted some of your excellent help in changing out my handlebars.

Right now I have stock bars with 1" up and back risers from Twisted Throttle. They put me at a very slight forward lean.

This will upset some of you :eek:, but I want my handlebars to allow me to sit bolt upright. But I would like to also accomplish this without having to get longer brake and clutch cables. I don't mind if the bars have to be a little narrower to allow this.

Can anyone recommend any bars that would allow me to sit fully upright? I really don't care if this ruins the looks of the bike.

Chucker

I doubt you'll be able to do this without replacing the cables and brake lines.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

latony007

I use the Renthal 787 and they are very comfortable for long ride. I had to re route the cables out of the middle bracket to make it work and the brake line need to be swap around, meaning it need to go from the master cylinder to the RH caliper then left. The throttle cables need to go behind the bars (between bars and tank) Might have a pic of the set up somewhere...
Marty don't your renthals give you a lower riding position, not a more upright one? i put on 2" pivot risers because im short and even with that the brake line had to be replaced. i dont think your going to be able to get it any farther without replacing a line or two.

Superzoom

Thanks for the routing info Marthy.

What if I cut an inch or two off the ends to make the handle bar width narrower? Would that allow me to use handlebars with more rise (and not have to replace the cables)?

If I did have to get longer cables, could anyone tell me very roughly what the cost involved would be?

Thanks!

latony007

Thanks for the routing info Marthy.

What if I cut an inch or two off the ends to make the handle bar width narrower? Would that allow me to use handlebars with more rise (and not have to replace the cables)?

If I did have to get longer cables, could anyone tell me very roughly what the cost involved would be?

Thanks!
i dont know exactly but i paid my dealer to install the risers they sold me. They could not pivot back at all because the cables were to short so they got me a steel brake cable and replaced it at no cost so i have to assume its not to bad.

Superzoom

i dont know exactly but i paid my dealer to install the risers they sold me. They could not pivot back at all because the cables were to short so they got me a steel brake cable and replaced it at no cost so i have to assume its not to bad.
You, sir, have an amazing dealer!

latony007

You, sir, have an amazing dealer!
I read them the riot act for selling me risers that required longer cables without telling me and for making me come back because they had to order the cable. :)

My other incident was when i first got the bike it took days for battery to go green on my charger so i told the dealer there was something wrong with the battery. They said it was fine. i said if it died right after warranty i was going to explode on them. guess what it did, but i took it back to them at just over 1 year and they replaced it so they are pretty good.