Grooved pavement is a nightmare

Osoreru

So spring is finally here, and while I rode quite a bit during the winter, I'm finally back out just joy riding with friends. Went down an old familiar road, heading out to a good stretch of what is normally completely empty country highway, only to find out that they're right in the middle of repaving. There was heavily grooved road for miles, along with tons of dirt and gravel (they were widening the roads from the looks of it) and I about had a heart attack more than once when I started fish-tailing across them. Had to drop speed down to ~30mph in a 55, with really impatient traffic right behind us.

How do the rest of you deal with situations like this?

JSP

Super Moderator
It sucks. We were going at a pretty good clip and ran into freshly chip sealed highway. All of us fishtailing like crazy, rocks flying all over each other. Scary stuff. Slow down for sure. People behind you can wait. Its not worth wrecking over.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

It sucks. We were going at a pretty good clip and ran into freshly chip sealed highway. All of us fishtailing like crazy, rocks flying all over each other. Scary stuff. Slow down for sure. People behind you can wait. Its not worth wrecking over.
did you have to go home and change your drawers?

JSP

Super Moderator
did you have to go home and change your drawers?

Nah. Just had to drain the boot. A MC boot can hold a good amount. If you are good and can hit the split, you can fill both boots at the same time. Free foot warmer. ;)

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

DragonBlu

Bridges with steel grating are fun also. Slow down a little and be careful. Don't make any sudden moves and all will be good. :)

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

there is some grooved pavement that never goes away on one section of highway 94 by monticello(mngreg prolly knows about it) idk what its there for its these deep lines in the road....doesnt look like for any reason but it trips my eyes out and I feel like I have zero traction on it. goes for about 1/2 mile. Been there for about 5 years?

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

it looks like its meant to be there....but it doesnt seem to have a purpose?

BoneJj

Bridges with steel grating are fun also. Slow down a little and be careful. Don't make any sudden moves and all will be good. :)
I guess the stuff they have outside of florida must be really wide grids, I went over several draw bridges over the weekend with my vulcan 900 and didn't have one issue at all...

But yeah the chunked up roads are a royal pain in the butt, but they use a different machine down here than most other places. They actually make like a elongated checker pattern on the roads here and it's not nearly as much of an issue.

CrazyCawi

wonder why they do it differently down there

FazerWest

Too bad for those who sit on the back; your knees are higher than your hip, so you just end up sitting in your pee. Unless you stand up. Which would make the situation worse.

Alright, I'm through. Sorry for the urine focus.
LOL true I prefer to be on back on the meanstreak do u know how uncomfortable the fz6r backseat is?? Ick....lol

CrazyCawi

Too bad for those who sit on the back; your knees are higher than your hip, so you just end up sitting in your pee. Unless you stand up. Which would make the situation worse.

Alright, I'm through. Sorry for the urine focus.
Im not sorry...more story please

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member