Grass is greener on the other side?

frelay

I just saw the new Kawasaki Z1000SX candy green (by accident!)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciGFyTLEamo&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - 2011 NEW Kawasaki Z1000SX official video[/ame]

When I will be ready for a more powerfull machine, I will seriously consider this one! While riding with a couple of friends riding respectively a 750cc and 1300cc, I was no match with our bike in hard acceleration. Even flirting with the red zone did not do it.

Any opinions on this grrrrreen machine? :D

Halon

I looked at the z1000 as my first bike TBH - in the end I went with the yamaha because I was scared of the 1000cc at the time, and it cost more by a good margin. I like the look of the naked version in the orange/white a little more. personally! Its a hot bike, and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Detrich

Well, it's completely subjective... But, imo 1000cc super sport should really be for advanced and well-seasoned riders.

1000cc super sports have explosive power delivery, can go almost 200MPH, and can go to almost 90MPH in just 1st gear... This is not really the safest choice for a first upgrade after the 6R, imo...

For intermediate upgrade for us, a 600cc+ super sport might be better & more sensible. My 6 year outlook is the 6r for at least 1 more year- maybe 2. Then a 600cc ss... And, 2 years after that, if and only if I feel I can handle it, then a 1000cc ss...

But, again- it's very subjective. But, respecting the power of the bike is part of being a safe rider too. ^_^

Just my .02

frelay

I agree that a 1000cc is a lot of bike for new riders. That is why I went with a "regular" 600cc like most of us. This Kawa is not categorized as a SS. At least not here in Quebec. That alone makes a big difrence in the registration fees. Regular bikes pay $680 CAD while SS cost over $1400 CAD per year regardless of the engine size.

I too believe that no one should start on an heavy and powerfull bike. I am a responsible rider (no burnt bulbs:innocent:) and I scared myself several times this past summer. Most of the times in curves, entering to fast or just missjudging its angle. There were also times the rear wheel slided under me in curves (little rocks and on soft asphalt used to repair pavement cracks). What saved the day and my a$$ was the fact that the FZ6R is a lighter bike that I can fight and manage its weight.

Detrich

Amen... Me too

JonKerr

Elite Member

creggur

Jon hit the nail square. It is all about the rider...

Having said that, most don't have the natural ability, nor self control, to start out on a liter bike. It's been done, but really it's just asking for trouble. Too light; too powerful; too much temptation for most.

There are no hard-and-fast rules about what bike is right to start on or progress to - it all comes down to the rider. Most are better off playing it safe IMHO...

RandiZ

When I went looking for a new bike, on paper, the FZ1 was for me. Knowing that the throttle was in my hand, I had no doubts about the power. Then I went and sat on the liter bikes. They were just too tall. I'd rather avoid lowering if at all possible. Saw and sat on the FZ6R, and it felt perfect. Next, I priced insurance. OMG, $800 per year! But the FZ6R was just over $300. So basically, I weighed out what I was getting for another $2000 plus insurance costs. For me, having the ability to accelerate faster at the green light was not enough. I know that was my decision and may not suit someone else's riding style or priorities. To each his own. :)

JonKerr

Elite Member

Stephenfz6r

Frelay, when consider the price of our speeding tickets in Quebec, getting a Kawasaki 1000 or any other superbike will break the bank and scrap your license for an extended period of time real fast. I have had both a Suzuki GS1100 and Kawasaki 1000 and these bikes are idling at 100KPH, if you happen to lower your right elbow 200KPH appears so quickly that it's only the lamp posts going by like a picket fence that remind you of how fast you are going. Oh, did I mention the first oil change and rear tire change are done at the same time. All this being said it's still a lot of fun albeit expensive.:surrender:

frelay

Hello all,

Very interesting point of views. I assumed this bike was heavier than ours. The FZ6R is my first bike and I want keep it for at least a couple of years. I spent too much on it as it is!:D I am not into racing but, when my friends apply power on their "regular (no SS)" 750cc and 1300cc, I get a bit frustrated for not being able to launch myself as quickly fr0m 0 to 60MPH.

I never went beyound 70MPH and don't intend to. It's the same thing with cars, any car can reach 100MPH +. I rarely see Porchses and cars alike high speeding. Can not say that about Civics.... :spank:

Roaddawg

I never went beyound 70MPH and don't intend to. It's the same thing with cars, any car can reach 100MPH +. I rarely see Porchses and cars alike high speeding. Can not say that about Civics.... :spank:
I was thinking Prius drivers....they're either hauling ass or driving with the head up it!! Seriously, what's with those damn cars.... :surrender: (sorry if I offended any owners here :) )

2wheelie

Interesting topic. We tend to think that something we don’t own is probably better that ours. That’s normal curiosity until we try it. When we buy a car, we can test drive it around the dealership’s neighborhoods, but that’s also by far not enough to get familiar with the car. With bikes we don’t even get this (besides the BMW’s certain models they offer to test ride), so how can we know which bike is for us? Yes, we can read forums, ask around, but unlike other things, bike is more of the individual fit. You have to find a bike to fit specifically for YOU. Even it may sound as a perfect fit for others - it doesn’t mean that you’ll feel the same way. Maybe that’s why we change bikes every so often…

Now, 1k cc bike is not a first bike at all, no matter what you say. Aside from the danger factor (and it is a big one too), even if you’re so disciplined to respect its power – it is a bad way learning to be a good rider. When you start playing a musical instrument, you don’t start from heavy cords, but rather from simple notations. Because if you do - it will be much harder, more frustrating and longer to go over the learning curve, and even than without having simple basics techniques, it won’t be the same. Exactly the same applies to the bikes.

As for our bikes, they’re in no way slow bikes. Of course 600cc ss bikes are faster, but try to take them on a longer ride without stopping here and there, or on several days/weeks ride. I don’t think you’ll want to do that. This bike I can ride for days and won’t even a bit be tired. I ride for 9+ years and still love the way this bike performs. I never getting bored of it and it’s always fun. I can take it even some off-roading sometimes. I put 16 tooth front sprocket for longer shifts and it still pulls just right. It is not intimidate as faster bikes, and still has good power delivery.

Before I had other bikes including Ninja ZX6R. Yes it is sweet bike, responsive, fast, tons of fun especially if riding “slightly” illegally, but after a while you get tired and would like to find yourself in somewhat more upright position. I would still probably keep it as additional bike for a track days or just releasing an adrenaline excess, if not for a mechanical problem.
But with FZ6R you won’t accidentally lock the rear on downshift, or spin the tire on exiting thru the corner and yet it is not boring in any way. It is good commuter, long distance sport-touring, or just one day ride on rural backroads. It is not a racetrack bike, but I don’t know of any an all-in-one type...

I do would like to check out the Ninja 1000 though, but 503lb’s dry weight kind of puzzling. Add liquids and it will be close to 100lb’s heavier than ours (470lb’s wet).

To summarize – I think there’s always be another (or someone else’s) “better” bike. Yep, the grass is always greener… isn’t it our nature? :)