Got taken out by a car (NSFW)

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

JimmyC

GLAD YOUR OK...too bad about the bike!

D

Deleted member 9794

So after you're all healed up and riding again do you think you'll continue to lane split?

Last edited by a moderator:

KeysRider3

That's gonna be a killer scar, and I think the story you have is the story you should tell! Glad you're okay, and hope your bike can be restored without too much grief. Thanks for sharing your adventure!

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

b_who

Thanks for all the well wishes guys. Truly awesome forum :thumbup::wav:
and thanks spunky for that bit of information, helped calm my nerves a little as this is a whole new world for me with insurance and what not.

So after you're all healed up and riding again do you think you'll continue to lane split?
To be honest, I probably will :squid: i thought i was pretty defense when i commute but I'm gonna have to step my game up big time god willing everything pans out.

Fizzer6R

bummer but the ol saying, it could've been A LOT worse.

PS: chics dig scars :p
PSS: chics dig exaggerated stories about how you got a scar :cool:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Spunky99

Based upon your summation of the dangers of lane splitting, I suggest you sell your motorcycle.
90% of cagers say that riding a motorcycle is "stupid" and "insane".
So based on your logic you are both stupid and insane to even ride a motorcycle.

I'd also suggest not to swim in the ocean or drive a car over 55 mph or walk across a street as that is considered stupid and insane by some people as well.

Riding a motorcycle is VERY dangerous. I think we all can agree on that.

As long as we know the risks and take steps to minimize the danger we can remove some of the danger. Anyone who has never lane split before may think it is extremely dangerous and you are entitled to your opinion although the opinion is based on nothing more than ignorance and lack of personal experience. To those that live where lane splitting is legal and do it, it becomes very normal and natural and is in fact no more dangerous than any other type of riding. It is safest when the cars are stopped as you only have to watch out for car mirrors or someone intentionally trying to squish you. Most drivers don't assault motorcyclists intentionally tho.

I previously posted my sorrow for your hurt, my cheerfulness that it wasn't worse, and my hopes for your well being. All are true. To the very bottom of my heart.

I so often play devil's advocate. I'm going to do it again, here. Lane splitting just seems kind of stupid. Nothing against you, personally. Seriously. There was a time in my life, I would have done it. But knowing what I do now? It just seems insane.

Just because we can do something, doesn't mean we should. Honestly, lane splitting is nuts. There are so many ways that it can go wrong that it boggles the mind.

I've driven vehicles all over the world. Literally. Don't tell me about traffic. I've been in traffic that was so stuck, there were vendors on the side of the road selling snacks. (No lie.)

I still can't comprehend the need to lane split, unless it's just for the rush. Or just because you can. I know you're not the only one who does it. Not even on this forum. But, DAMN. Seems to me it's just askin' for a hurtin'.

DragonBlu

I hope you heal fast. As for lane splitting,not legal in Oregon and I don't think I would roll the dice, although I have seen it done many times in Beaverton here. The thing I would worry about is some logger opening his door to spit out his chew or dump out his cold coffee. that goes on a lot here also.:D

buzzbomb

Elite Member
D

Deleted member 9794

I beg to differ. Imagine how bad that wound would have been without the leathers!!!!......
Yo, B, after really looking at it, it's been bothering me. I wonder if a textile jacket (NOT MESH) would've held up better:

That leather doesn't look thick, although that could just be me. What model AGV jacket was that? Was it a thinner leather for warm weather?

I know leather is more resistant to abrasion but does anybody know about puncture resistance between the two?

b_who

Yo, B, after really looking at it, it's been bothering me. I wonder if a textile jacket (NOT MESH) would've held up better:

That leather doesn't look thick, although that could just be me. What model AGV jacket was that? Was it a thinner leather for warm weather?

I know leather is more resistant to abrasion but does anybody know about puncture resistance between the two?
the typical leather jacket is 1.2 to 1.4 mm thick. i have a mesh jacket that i used before my leather and I'll never go back. I've personally seen mesh in a low side and see it melted into the guys arm and etc. . i doubt the mesh has better tear resistance, the whole thing i weaved together so I can't really see it being tear resistant at all.

also the leather WAS thicker expect after the crash i slid on my upper back and arms 15 feet and ive also low sided at about 40 before that which didnt help.
i think what cut me was the right side mirror as there were huge sharp pieces on the rode. an glass when broken can be sharp as a razor blade. I'm confident if i didn't have the leather jacket my wound would of bin deeper and done serious damage to tendons and ligiments and lead to not being able to use my left hand. My ER doctor said the cut was "INCREDIBLY clean like a knife wound".
hope this helps

Sander Koop

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member