GoPro Camera....or?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Spunky99

So I have been wanting to get a GoPro camera for a while. I am not sure, because the price tag is steep. Here is the one that I was looking at:

Motorsport Racing On Board Camera: HD Motorsports HERO

What do you guys think? I was really not looking to spend so much, but I do rides a lot and photos and video would be great to have. Opinions and other options are considered. I am un-familiar with motorsport cameras, so I need help here. Thanks in advance guys.
The GoPro 1080 and Contour 1080 cams have the same resolution and frame rates. There are differences in field of view and color saturation but are essentially the same. I've asked several GoPro owners with cams attached to the top of their helmets about going really fast and they all say they wouldn't go above 60 mph with the cam.
I have gone well over 100 mph with the contour mounted to the side of my helmet without any aerodynamic issues or worries. In fact I forgot about it.

Lots of complaints of rattling buttons on the GoPro and no complaints on the Countour 1080. GoPro has the edge in mounts but Contour is catching up.
I have the lens adapter ring so I can put any filter, adapter, wide angle accessory for standard filter ring mounts on the Contour.

To be honest, I only see GoPro cams at the race track and I'm the only one with the Contour cams. My cams work flawlessly and I've never had any issues at all. They mount the GoPros to the motorcycle for higher speed runs, not the helmet. The Contours go on eBay for $229.00 all day BIN and the GoPros go for $235.00 for the motorsports model.

Go Pro HERO GoPro HD 1080 Motorsports Camera - eBay (item 150582426160 end time Apr-24-11 11:42:05 PDT)

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Sage

I've gone only about 80-90 with it mounted on my car with no problems, but I do get wind noise at any speeds above 55, but that may be just because I use the waterproof mount for everything?

Spunky99

What about audio Spunky? I have read that the GoPros are good up to about 80 without wind noise.
Audio on both cams is noisy stock with wind noise. I do notice a big difference in the mic between both my Countours and am adjusting them for sensitivity via the software. I don't know if the GoPro sensitivity is adjustable. I have a very fine level of adjustment in my audio sensitivity. They used to put tape over the mic but they changed the mount to the bottom and the laser warning film/tape covers it so they added a software interface for sensitivity. I think wind noise will still be a problem tho.

I do have a mod to add a mic jack that turns off the internal mic when plugging in the external mic on the Contour but haven't done it yet. That way I can put a mic inside my helmet and you can hear me huffing and puffing while racing...not really that interesting but the helmet will eliminate all wind noise.

When making a movie, I usually turn down most of the sound and add music anyway. At least bring the audio down to a low roar....

bjs045

The GoPro HD is what I have. I've gone 100+ mph without obnoxious wind noise that overwhelms the audio. Although it takes minor customizing with good quality electrical tape. Cover both mics and shutter button with a small strip.

I have mine mounted on the top of my helmet just above the shield when fully risen. If not in the tucked position I do feel turbulence at 90+ mph. But at that speed I'm usually tucked anyways.

I've not mounted the camera on the side of the helmet, so I cannot comment on that. I do not like the view angle it produces.

Other video cams I've researched are the Drift 170 HD and Contour HD. I chose the GoPro over them because of physical side and already known ways to fix the wind noise. Another reason is the LCD screen attachment and tripod attachment which allows me to use it as a normal video camera. One ability the others have over the GoPro are picture leveling. The Drift has remote too.

Spunky99

FYI, the Contour has always had a standard tripod mount called a Universal Mount.
[/IMG]

They have a picatinny rail mount for airsoft and when used with the filter ring adapter and a tempered UV filter is almost impervious to 350 to 400 FPS shots at close range and none of the controls are exposed to fire.

Since the front lens and cam turns 90 degrees, you can use the low profile, helmet or adjustable mounts on the top of your helmet.

The GoPro HD is what I have. I've gone 100+ mph without obnoxious wind noise that overwhelms the audio. Although it takes minor customizing with good quality electrical tape. Cover both mics and shutter button with a small strip.

I have mine mounted on the top of my helmet just above the shield when fully risen. If not in the tucked position I do feel turbulence at 90+ mph. But at that speed I'm usually tucked anyways.

I've not mounted the camera on the side of the helmet, so I cannot comment on that. I do not like the view angle it produces.

Other video cams I've researched are the Drift 170 HD and Contour HD. I chose the GoPro over them because of physical side and already known ways to fix the wind noise. Another reason is the LCD screen attachment and tripod attachment which allows me to use it as a normal video camera. One ability the others have over the GoPro are picture leveling. The Drift has remote too.

bjs045

FYI, the Contour has always had a standard tripod mount called a Universal Mount.
[/IMG]

They have a picatinny rail mount for airsoft and when used with the filter ring adapter and a tempered UV filter is almost impervious to 350 to 400 FPS shots at close range and none of the controls are exposed to fire.

Since the front lens and cam turns 90 degrees, you can use the low profile, helmet or adjustable mounts on the top of your helmet.

oh I knew they had a tripod adapter for the contour. But there isn't a view finder or viewscreen to see what I'm shooting.

What I meant to say is I liked the fact that LCD screen + the tripod mount I can use the GoPro as a normal video camera. :D

bjs045

oh I have a friend that mounted his contour to his paintball gun. If I ever get back into paintballing I'd get the Contour for sure!

Spunky99

oh I knew they had a tripod adapter for the contour. But there isn't a view finder or viewscreen to see what I'm shooting.

What I meant to say is I liked the fact that LCD screen + the tripod mount I can use the GoPro as a normal video camera. :D
Yeah..agreed, no viewfinder. They have 2 red laser beams that you use to aim the cam. With a 135 degree view, it's not that hard to get the cam on target.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

bjs045

Contour wearable GPS video camera from CES 2011

I think the Contour GPS Model is an amazing piece of technology for track and canyon riders.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trSVv14icZ0"]Contour wearable GPS video camera from CES 2011[/ame]

Spunky99

I think the Contour GPS Model is an amazing piece of technology for track and canyon riders.

Contour wearable GPS video camera from CES 2011
Since I already have a Forerunner GPS wristwatch that I use for inline skate racing and training, I didn't need the GPS video feature. I have a bicycle watch mount that is mounted on my race bike to hold the GPS unit and I run twin cams going while racing.
If I didn't have the GPS watch, I'd love the GPS cam. It is only about 80 bucks more too.

NoDoze

If you're on a tight budget, I would suggest the 2011 Tachyon XC HD ($179.99) - all though it only does max of 720p compared to the Contour and GoPro.

Helmet Cam and Helmet Camera | Tachyon XC - Worldwide Shipping on all Helmet Cams

Here's a sample vid:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cBYZ6VUrYA]YouTube - Dumont Dunes atc70 Regatta 2011 Tachyon XC HD[/ame]

I'm actually thinking of getting this camera to capture the ride/commute for the just in case moments.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

72racer

Elite Member