Going overseas for a year...sell or keep the bike?

Jay S.

Well the Air Force is sending me to Korea for another year. (I was there for a year in 2001-2002)

I really don't like the idea of storing the bike for a year but I have the 6R built/modded EXACTLY how I like it. Do I keep it since it is built to my liking or just sell and get a new bike after my tour is over?

Discuss...

Last edited:

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Jay S.

I had been riding for 10 years, all on cruisers, before my 6R. I bought it as an entry-level sport-touring bike with every intention of moving up to an FJR or Concours after a year or two. However, now that I have done some serious touring on it, it fits my needs perfectly. I have also ridden an FJR since I got the 6R and it was so big and heavy, more touring than sport. Now (before the orders to move) I intended on keeping the 6R for a very long time since it does what I want.

Tough decision. Plus it's paid for. Hmmm...

My gut tells me to sell it and instead of an FJR when I get home, perhaps a Ninja 1000 or Suzuki GSX-1250F.

:confused:

danieljardim

I had been riding for 10 years, all on cruisers, before my 6R. I bought it as an entry-level sport-touring bike with every intention of moving up to an FJR or Concours after a year or two. However, now that I have done some serious touring on it, it fits my needs perfectly. I have also ridden an FJR since I got the 6R and it was so big and heavy, more touring than sport. Now (before the orders to move) I intended on keeping the 6R for a very long time since it does what I want.

My gut tells me to sell it and instead of an FJR when I get home, perhaps a Ninja 1000 or Suzuki GSX-1250F.

BEWARE OF THE INSURANCE ON NINJA AND GSX 1250. :eek::eek::eek:

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Jay S.

insurance goes by cc's correct???
Depends on the company. State Farm has lower rates for a bigger bike. I remember years ago being pissed that my rates went up when I sold my Shadow 1300 and bought a Vuclan 900. Thier logic is that a larger, heavier bike, with more power, is safer. I'm not too worried about the insurance to be honest. I'm almost 40 and my driving/riding record is clean. Plus I've been with SF for over 20 years so they take great care of me.

:D

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
From what you say, You want to keep it. Why sell it? There is nothing wrong with properly storing a bike for a year. Same as winterization. Clean the thing up, put it on a battery tender. Top the tank off with fuel and add stabalizer, fresh oil change and DO NOT start the bike after changing the oil. Few little other things maybe but thats about it.

Keep it bro!

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

RooKie

From what you say, You want to keep it. Why sell it? There is nothing wrong with properly storing a bike for a year. Same as winterization. Clean the thing up, put it on a battery tender. Top the tank off with fuel and add stabalizer, fresh oil change and DO NOT start the bike after changing the oil. Few little other things maybe but thats about it.

Keep it bro!
Don't forget to put the bike up on front and rear stands to avoid flat spots on the tires and a nice cover to keep the dust off.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

corwin06

Not necessarily. just checked a bunch of bikes for a possible trade in.

I have rider insurance.

Ninja 1000 = 3700
R1 = 3800
R6 = 1300
Hayabusa = 3300
Suzuki 1250 = 3200.00
FZ1 = 600.00
DIAVEL = 604.39
$600 for a fz1? and $1300 for an r6? i just checked the trade in on mine and i said $3,700.....mine is an 09 with under 2000 miles

Fizzer6R

go with your gut.

where were you and going same base or different this time? was at Osan here in 90's. "you buy juicy?" :cool:

Jay S.

go with your gut.

where were you and going same base or different this time? was at Osan here in 90's. "you buy juicy?" :cool:
I was at Kunsan last time, going to Osan this time. I heard they got rid of all the Juicy Girls in 2005...whatever will I do with my free time/money?

:D

KeysRider3

Keep it. It's not hard to "store" for a year, you'll be able to think about riding it while you're in Korea, and it'll be easy to lube, gas and ride once you get home.