go pro hero 3 - wavey video

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Sometimes when I get above a certain speed the video becomes wavey...any one else have this problem...or a solution?
its due to your mount point absorbing vibration and sending it through the camera mount.

JSP

Super Moderator
Yeah, it happens at certain vibration levels. I never have much of a problem with the suction cup mount, but hard mounted especially on this Bandit, I get pretty wavy crap for video... I have the HD2.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BoneJj

you basically need a rubber mount somewhere in the system to help absorb the vibration. you can get some cheap thin rubber sheeting at homedepot, I forget the section that normally has it. just wedge that into the mount below the camera and tighten it down good enough that it wont move but not so much that it destroys the rubber. It will pretty much eliminate the vibration induced rolling shutter issues.

JSP

Super Moderator
you basically need a rubber mount somewhere in the system to help absorb the vibration. you can get some cheap thin rubber sheeting at homedepot, I forget the section that normally has it. just wedge that into the mount below the camera and tighten it down good enough that it wont move but not so much that it destroys the rubber. It will pretty much eliminate the vibration induced rolling shutter issues.
Have a picture? Having a hard time picturing where to put the rubber...

BoneJj

Put it where the RAM mount meets the handlebars.. you can use a rubber hose or foam too.
You could do that or sandwich it between the 3&2 prong connections where you insert the screw to tighten it in the right angle. That will help absorb vibration there.

I don't have any pictures as I don't have any gopro mounts but I did this for a friend not long ago and it worked pretty well.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

BoneJj

It didn't work. Video is still wavy at highest resolution.
okay, here is a question for you.

What is your frame rate at high resolution vs 720

Are you using 30fps at 1080p and 60fps at 720p?

If so, that's your culprit right there. The faster the frame rate the less the camera is moving between frames so less wave effect possible.

mashuga

No way around jello vision...
I don't know how go pros have blown up the way they have with the so so hardware.

Maybe it's the cool factor or the false sense of quality with the price tag...and packaging that looks like it took longer to develope than the actual camera...

Not to hijack your thread too much, but this was my experience with them.

I Bought 2 hero 3 blacks this week, and returned em 2 days later.

Between the jellyvision (rolling shutter issues) and the battery life I feel like they are a complete scam.

Switching between wifi remote and using the the gopro app to view what the cameras would look like was a cluster effff.

The gopro app would allow you playback 5seconds of preview with a 5-10 second delay, so you had to be very patient..and you can't use a wifi remote and app at the same time, so you have to switch to one or the other and it's just not as simple as it should be. So while you are trying to get it going it just eats up battery.

Also had a problem where it would blink red saying it was recording but when I got home, there was absolutely nothing on the micro sd card. And not being able to see files or review footage just sucks..

Tried upgrading and downgrading firmwares but they are just super buggy.

One of them stopped working all together. Would not respond to any button presses even after swapping batteries..

And the 20 min battery life recording anything over 1080p 24fps is nonsense.

The rolling shutter is unavoidable, it's the nature of the cameras sensor. You don't really notice it in any of GoPro marketing videos because they use quick cuts. So you don't notice the jelly vision.

For 399 each, it's just not worth it.

If u do decide to get one, get the cheapest model you can find. Or buy a lot of batteries.

Recording at 2.7k and 4k was worthless. Battery just sucked.

But the footage did look a lot better when importing into premiere and and down resing to 1080p. A lot sharper but still too much jelly.

Tried all sorts of frame rates but to no avail...

After returning them to "test buy" I googled the issues I was having and was amazed at how many other people were having issues and failures.

I really wanted to like them, but it didn't happen..

BoneJj

No way around jello vision...
I don't know how go pros have blown up the way they have with the so so hardware.

Maybe it's the cool factor or the false sense of quality with the price tag...and packaging that looks like it took longer to develope than the actual camera...

Not to hijack your thread too much, but this was my experience with them.

I Bought 2 hero 3 blacks this week, and returned em 2 days later.

Between the jellyvision (rolling shutter issues) and the battery life I feel like they are a complete scam.

Switching between wifi remote and using the the gopro app to view what the cameras would look like was a cluster effff.

The gopro app would allow you playback 5seconds of preview with a 5-10 second delay, so you had to be very patient..and you can't use a wifi remote and app at the same time, so you have to switch to one or the other and it's just not as simple as it should be. So while you are trying to get it going it just eats up battery.

Also had a problem where it would blink red saying it was recording but when I got home, there was absolutely nothing on the micro sd card. And not being able to see files or review footage just sucks..

Tried upgrading and downgrading firmwares but they are just super buggy.

One of them stopped working all together. Would not respond to any button presses even after swapping batteries..

And the 20 min battery life recording anything over 1080p 24fps is nonsense.

The rolling shutter is unavoidable, it's the nature of the cameras sensor. You don't really notice it in any of GoPro marketing videos because they use quick cuts. So you don't notice the jelly vision.

For 399 each, it's just not worth it.

If u do decide to get one, get the cheapest model you can find. Or buy a lot of batteries.

Recording at 2.7k and 4k was worthless. Battery just sucked.

But the footage did look a lot better when importing into premiere and and down resing to 1080p. A lot sharper but still too much jelly.

Tried all sorts of frame rates but to no avail...

After returning them to "test buy" I googled the issues I was having and was amazed at how many other people were having issues and failures.

I really wanted to like them, but it didn't happen..
I have the Contour+2 and it's a world of better than what you describe. I haven't had many issues at all, just as soon as I got it I updated the firmware, it works well with my phone to change settings on the fly, also changing settings is done via bluetooth so it sucks less power when bluetooth is going. The battery only lasts about 2 hours but that's still pretty decent.

I do need to get an extra battery.

As for wavy I haven't had much issue with that at all. I generally run it at 720p@60fps and it works pretty good like that.

Check some of my video here:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qbf4pcP0fk]BoneChill sunny but raining - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDxC9I7bEOQ]BoneChill Ft. Myers bridge and a couple cops. It's funny how they multiply. - YouTube[/ame]

The first was one of the first videos that I did, i believe the stock video was 1080p@30 for that one and the second was 720p@60

Let me know if you see any problems.

If you are mounting the cameras to the bike then you will have issues with waves/jelly as the vibration from the bike will cause problems. You will need to rubber mount the camera somehow or mount it to yourself as I've done with the videos you see here.

Rich007

I also got sucked into the Gopro and I am not impressed at all.
When you go to edit the video with Movie Maker it takes forever to see the video so you can edit. Then it also breaks the 2 video's that I do have into a bunch of random scenes, What in the hell is up with that?

BoneJj

I also got sucked into the Gopro and I am not impressed at all.
When you go to edit the video with Movie Maker it takes forever to see the video so you can edit. Then it also breaks the 2 video's that I do have into a bunch of random scenes, What in the hell is up with that?
That is a fault of windows movie maker, not actual video file. When you encode the video it will be one single file. The scenes are meant for when you are making a DVD from a video file that you have.

Rich007

That is a fault of windows movie maker, not actual video file. When you encode the video it will be one single file. The scenes are meant for when you are making a DVD from a video file that you have.
SO is there a fix to this or should I try and use CineForm Studio?