FZ6R vs FZ1

cloudfire

Ok, so I was dead-set on getting the new 2011 Copper FZ6R, got to the dealer and they had none, but they had a steal of a deal on an 2009 FZ1. And I do mean a steal! FE, Leo Vince GPPRO EVO II SS Exhaust and Power Commander, and only 3800 miles for less thank $6k. Took all the will power I had not to ride the bike off the lot right then.

Here's the thing, one of the biggest reasons I liked the FZ6R was the full fairings. I just like the SS look. The other reason was my price window. I hadn't even considered the FZ1 because I could never find it under $8k which was my upper limit.

Anyone know if there's fairing kits for the FZ1? That would make my day!

So what do you guys think? If you could get either one for the same price, which would you go for?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

I would take the FZ1. I wouldn't want to pay the extra insurance, but the $ saved would cover the difference. That sounds like a real steal!

I should have qualified this. Yes, if this is your first bike or you don't have much experience, go for the FZ6R. The FZ1 is too much for a newer rider. I was speaking to what I would do.

Last edited:

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Is this your first bike??? The FZ1 is a freakin monster.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I'll take it! LOL Can't quite afford any bike swap right now. My wife quit her job to go to school... but I should be done paying my cage very soon? I could give her the 6R and get myself a beast!
for your high speed straight line roads? :surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender:

lol

Rookasaki

for your high speed straight line roads? :surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender:

lol
The FZ1 would kill the 6R in a straight line. But Corners my friend are a different story!
I have a 09 6R - my buddy just got a 2010 Fz1. It's a great bike. The thing pulls almost twice as hard, but I'm faster in the corners with my 6R. I'm 100% confident with my riding ability with my 600... Do I have enough experience to upgrade? Yes, I think I do, but I just really enjoy my bike. I know I can take my bike out and ride it past it's limits... That's what makes it fun for me... The choice is your's brother. My little saying is "It doesn't take talent to buy a motorcycle and twist the throttle'

cloudfire

I would take the FZ1. I wouldn't want to pay the extra insurance, but the $ saved would cover the difference. That sounds like a real steal!
This is one of the things that really surprised me. I got an insurance quote and it was less than for the 2011 FZ6R. The only thing I could figure was that it was because it is an older bike???

yfz6r

Besides looks, the FZ1 is an all around better bike. I had one. I loved it. It was a gen1. It will kill the 6r on a straight, track, or cornering. Handling is much better IMO. Suspension is better, seat is better and the seating position is awesome. I only got a different bike because I made a lot of money on the sale and found a great deal on an 09 6r that will get me through my last two years of college hassle free. Get the FZ1.

The bikes are as hassle free as they get. Especially an 09. Many FZ1 owners have over 100k on their bike and a lady with the alias FZ1girl has 190k on her fz1. Pay a long visit to yamahafz1oa.com

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Deanohh

I have had a 09 FZ1 and also a 09 FZ6R. The FZ1 is superior in every way I can think of. The power is controllable... you don't have to use it, but when you do it does pull very hard. No contest... get the FZ1. Its even costs less... and in a year or 2 it still will be worth more than the FZ6R if you sell it. All the fairing does is make it twice as hard to change the oil.

Fizzer6R

I'd get the FZ1 (prev. gen1 owner), if not, I'd try to find a used FZ6R before buying new.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ndfz6r

I have had my FZ6R for three months now and this is my first bike. I had my 600 mile checkup and there was an 08 FZ1 used for $5900 in the showroom. Very clean with about 6000 miles on it. I sat on it and found the geometry very similar to our bikes and liked it. I would have taken a beating on the trade in so I didn't do it. I know it's a lot of bike for a novice rider, but I like the acceleration more than the twisties. Also I weight 250 pounds and think the 6r works pretty hard for me. I am a weight lifter and due to multiple shoulder injuries am going to trim down to 210 or so. Will that make much difference for the bike? I get a good bonus every spring and will probably find a liter bike and keep the 6r for my commuting. Just this guys 2 cents. Where I live, not much in the way of curves, but will never own a cruiser.