FZ6R - How to install NO Cut Frame Sliders

MikeN02

Hey all, just got done installing my Frame Sliders for the first time and I had a little difficulty so I just snapped some pictures while I was doing it to help people who had problems or are scared to do it themselves. Task is pretty easy all you need is a couple of tools:

- Hex Key/Allen Key (To Take off the fairing)
- Socket Wrench/Torque Wrench (To take off the engine bolt and install Frame Sliders)

First, I ordered the Intuitive No-Cut Frame Sliders because T-Rex was on back order and I had many close calls.

No Cut Frame Sliders should come with:
1 M10 x 50 bolt
2 M10 x 40 bolts
3 M10 flat washer
1 M10 x 70 bolt
1 bevel slider for Left Hand Side
1 notched slider for the Right Hand side

Make sure the engine is cool when you start this process, otherwise you'd burn your hands on it or the hot engine bolt when trying to remove it!

Step 1:

Take off this lower cowling at the bottom of the front of the bike

It's held on by 4 screws that need a hex key to take off. After you have the screws off, take off the plastic piece.

Step 2: (You can start working on either side of the bike, I'll just post this side first and later on I'll post the other side. Also refer to the Owner's Manual if you are unsure about how to take off the fairing)

Start taking off the screws of the fairing on the left hand side, make sure you work on one side at a time so you don't mess up the screws or lose parts.

There are 3 screws on top, another on the right which is bigger than the ones on top and the two screws on the bottom.

>>Important!! Make sure you have something close to the bike or underneath it so you can rest the fairing on it! Otherwise you'd scratch the fairing with the pavement. In my case, I used my motorcycle cover.

Now when I took it off, it looked like this:

The fairing was still hooked on by the turn signal wire and the screw at the bottom of the fairing, be careful not to slam it hard or it'll break off.

Step 3
Taking off the engine bolts, installing the frame slider

There are two engine bolts you need to take off on the left side of the bike to install the metal plating for the frame slider to rest on since it's a No-Cut.
When you take them off and install the metal piece that came with the Frame Slider kit make sure you see the little cut, it looks like a slant cut, it should look like this on the left side:

Now I put some extra washers between the metal piece and when it makes contact with the bike. That's just because I felt like it, I don't think you really have to.

Now install the left side of the frame slider

Screw in the bolt with your hands then use the socket wrench then torque it to manufacturer specs. Afterwards Put the fairing back on and you're done with the left side!

Step 4
Right side of the bike (easier)

All you need to do for the right side of the bike is unscrew the engine bolt and screw in the frame slider.

I just took off that one screw holding the fairing in place, lifted it a little to fit the frame slider in and screwed it in.

After that screw everything back on!

There you have it! Something to save your motorcycle when it goes down from all the ladies tugging at your jacket trying to touch you!

ArkAngel06

Figured I would post these pics of what may or may not be the new T-Rex sliders....They are what I got when I ordered them about a few weeks ago. They said they had been out of stock for awhile, and had just got them in.

In the box, they had instructions for what looked like the old kit. A slider with a notch, and whatnot. The ones I got didn't have a notch, but they still worked, and installed fine.

Last edited:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
T-Rex Frame Sliders: Okay FYI I used the original engine bolts to mount the slider brackets. They were plenty long but that also eliminates the washers They are not lock washers so it's what ever your comfortable with. I did use thread lock on the bolts. Out of the package you have two replacement engine bolts. I used those to secure the pucks to the mounts and use the washers with them. I did NOT use the 90 bolt as it is so freak'n long I have no idea why it is included. The 50's are plenty for that application.

Even if someone says I installed them wrong.. Well I don't care they are not going anywhere. The instructions are lacking at best.

Now on to the alarm system... ROBERT!! LoL
Man, you put your decals on backwards!!

:justkidding:

One of the easiest and best mods out there for a motorcycle.

MikeN02

So I got the chance to use them unfortunately...

Was working on my bike (with both side fairings off thank god) and I lost my balance and tipped it over on the right side.

Only rash on the right slider, some on the mirrors (which i'm going to replace with R6S mirrors) and some on the bar ends (which I can have an excuse to get some)

Needless to say I was super pissed, grabbed it by the handlebars and lifted it back up.

Detrich

Thanks for this write up Mike :) I have the same type of sliders- since that's what the Yamaha dealer put on. They are slightly more expensive I guess, but they work well. I'm going to replace my left one, because I had a minor mishap recently too... :( Tipped to the left going too slow- typical newbie brain fart. But, fortunately the slider took the blunt of it- with some very minor rashes on the mirror, bar end, engine cover and reat seat handle. I touched up what I could with Forever Black. And, the damage is really not obvious unless you're standing 3 feet away from the bike and looking at those specific areas...

Like a friend told me... "The only way to keep your bike 'pristine' is to never ride it. But, what's the fun in THAT?!!"

I whole-heartedly, agree... :)

what is the factory torque specs for each side, I forgot, i had to take the right side fairing off to check the coolant level now don't know the specs to tighten it back on

Steviet

what is the factory torque specs for each side, I forgot, i had to take the right side fairing off to check the coolant level now don't know the specs to tighten it back on
In general the 6mm bolts should be tightened to ~4.3 ft-lbs, I believe that is what holds the fairings on.

TrueBlue

Just put on a pair of T-Rex sliders this afternoon, this "How To" was very helpful for an idiot like me, thanks! :)

corwin06

i just got my sho gun frame sliders today. they didnt come with that metal bracket thing but they say they are no cut and for the 09-10 fz6r

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

k6gad

Thanks for the write-up. Installed mine this morning and it took about 15 minutes. Easy peasy.
Gary

MikeN02

It's recommended yeah. But you need loctite or thread locker as well. Engine vibration can cause the bolt to come loose.

Raven_6R

I already had the threadlock, but I guess I well have to buy the torque wrench. Probably for the best anyhow.
Thanks.

slaythoven

This is a great tutorial but I am such a horribly visual person that I still kinda don't get it. I just got my T-Rex sliders today and I'm confused which adapter goes L or R (one is flush, the other has an extension), which frame slider is L or R (one's short, the other's long) and which one gets the 45mm and which one gets the 90mm.

I know this should be easy, but I'm much better with video than text...

bmw675

This is a great tutorial but I am such a horribly visual person that I still kinda don't get it. I just got my T-Rex sliders today and I'm confused which adapter goes L or R (one is flush, the other has an extension), which frame slider is L or R (one's short, the other's long) and which one gets the 45mm and which one gets the 90mm.

if they are still the same as when i got mine when they first came out, then:

the slider with the cut notch in it goes on the right, bolts directly on with the notch fitting around the fairing.

the slider without the notch goes on the left with the offset tab. the longer bolt would go on this one b/c it has to go through the offset tab as well.

i had a small clearance issue with it wanting to hit the cover, but i put a washer or two (i think) under the spacer to get it to clear.

iSpoolin

Offest bracket goes on the right

slaythoven

the slider with the cut notch in it goes on the right, bolts directly on with the notch fitting around the fairing.

the slider without the notch goes on the left with the offset tab. the longer bolt would go on this one b/c it has to go through the offset tab as well.
Offest bracket goes on the right
Wait, offset bracket goes on left or right? I'm guessing the longer slider will be on the the left though.

@bmw, T-Rex must have updated their line as both sliders have 2 notches cut in them.