FZ6 or FZ8

Rich007

Looking at either the 6 or 8, I know the 8 is a little bit more expensive but I like that the 6 has a bit more wind protection for freeway riding.
Does anyone know if there is that big of a difference in performance and handling between the 2 for daily summer driving and freeway driving?
I have had in the past a Honda Shadow 750 V twin that was weak as hell in my opinion and now looking for a sportier bike to ride on nice days and weekends.

Superzoom

Do you mean FZ6 or FZ6R? Lots of differences.

FZ8 is incrementally better than the FZ6R in many ways, the most significant of which is slightly more power and obviously torque. Not a lot more, but enough to feel like an upgrade.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
They are both great. They both handle great in town and in the twisties. Wind protection and looks are going to be the biggest decision points. It does have a bit more power, but the 6 is no slouch itself. I personally prefer no fairing/screen.

Over 80mph you can really start to feel the wind on the 8. So if you are doing a lot of 80+ freeway cruising.... :confused:

So it comes down to which you think looks better and if wind protection is that big of an issue for me. Insurance will be a bit more as well. Shares a few parts with the FZ1 so that is good too.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Rich007

I think Yamaha screwed up not giving us American riders the Fazer 8, that one I would buy.

06330i

If you're planning on getting a 2013 fz8, then go for it. Comes with adjustable suspension, which unfortunately the fz6r still lacks. I owned my fz6r for a little over a year and loved the bike, great for long trips, short trips, and tearing up the back roads, but after riding my buddies fz8 for a little over an hour, I liked that bike so much better. The power comes on strong, handles nicely, always managed to put a smile on my face. I guess my question is are you an adrenaline junky? Do you feel like after a year you would find yourself upgrading to something with more power? Or are you the type that holds on for a while.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Hellgate

Get a clean, used FZ1 and be done with it. If you buy an FZ6R you'll sell/trade it within 18 months. If you buy an FZ8 you'll pay stuid money for used FZ1 suspension part (they all do, for some reason they thing the FZ1 shock is a god send...) and not have anywhere near the motor.

I've owned and FZ6 and an FZ1. Both modded to the hilt.

Or, you could buy a Tuono V4R APRC and not need to update anything. :)

Hellgate

Lots of things to think about.
FZ8 is more power, adjustible suspension, nice looking (IMO) exhaust and a nice looking bike.

FZ6R is a great bike and still has plenty of power that will more than get you into legal trouble. Looks good. Windscreen and some aftermarket options. Dont know about ability to put something on the FZ8. But you are stuck with stock suspension and to upgrade is expensive unless you can do labor yourself.

Check out Yamaha-motors.com and check the try a bike option. Maybe they will list a place where you can testride the FZ8 and 6R to compare.
Greg - The FZ8 has a fully, non-adjustable suspenion. Hence all the boys going to POS, used FZ1, rear shocks. It is a sharp looking bike however.

JSP

Super Moderator
Greg - The FZ8 has a fully, non-adjustable suspenion. Hence all the boys going to POS, used FZ1, rear shocks. It is a sharp looking bike however.
2013 has adjustable.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

If you prefer the wind protection Australia retails the FZ8S
Shop around the net you may be able to find the parts to mod

2013 Black

2013 White

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

.... I wish I could mod the fairings on the FZ6R to look more like that or the FZ1... Basically I guess it would be the XJ. But cant find info on if able to get those fairing parts here, and if able to put on the 6R correctly.
Sorry to say but they are more like the FZ6 fairings -almost identical,
which is vastly different in mountings etc to XJ6,

XJ6F are identical to FZ6R fairings
XJ6S (mine) are mid fairings -can be exchanged, but requires changing ALL fairings, mounts, headlights etc
XJ6N -has been explored by many threads and like above requires extensive removal/ exchanging of fairings, mounts etc.

Hellgate

2013 has adjustable.
Looks like they finally woke up. The GEN1 is a bit of a POS. Oh wait, if it's the same suspension as the FZ1 it's still a POS suspension.

Brock Kickass

I think Yamaha screwed up not giving us American riders the Fazer 8, that one I would buy.
If you want a Fazer 8, find someone converting their FZ1 to the naked setup and buy their fairing, headlight, etc... and it should all go on an FZ8 without much modding. Or just buy an FZ1, which is pretty much an FZ8 plus. Same frame, better suspension, more power, blah blah blah and it already looks like a Fazer 8 for you.

For the OP, hit up a Yamaha demo day and see what suits you best. Some people hate naked bikes for touring. I love mine, but everyone is different. The 6R is plenty of power for the street, and nice to tour on, but lacking a bit in features and the suspension is not very sophisticated. The FZ8 is a step up in features and suspension, and it has enough power to play around a bit more. A 6R will drag your *** from A to B fast enough, the 8 will do it and lift the front wheel a bit along the way. The FZ1 is another step up from that. The suspension is more sophisticated still, and it is a seriously powerful bike.

On the flip side, the FZ6R is very inexpensive to run. It's great on fuel, doesn't require a ton of maintenance, and tires are fairly cheap. Insurance is pretty good on it, too. Moving to an FZ8 or FZ1 means less fuel economy, more expensive tires and you will wear tires, chains, sprockets, and other parts more quickly. Insurance companies are all different, but all 3 of these bikes are in the same class so expect costs to go up with engine size. The more it costs to buy, the more it probably costs to run.

Lots of people will tell you any stock suspension is total crap, and it pretty much is total crap if you're an advanced rider, but the 6R has the most basic setup of the bunch. You will notice the difference moving up to an FZ8 or FZ1. People put FZ1 suspension on FZ8's because it's a step up from the stock setup, and because there are lots of FZ1 suspensions available from all of the FZ1 guys and gals putting R1 suspension on their FZ1's, which is a step up from stock, and because there are lots of R1 suspensions available from all the R1 guys and gals getting Ohlins stuff... (see where this goes?)

Any of these bikes will be a huge difference from your Shadow. They're completely different animals. When the tach passes 5 it doesn't fall off, it gets more frantic and builds revs and keeps getting even more unruly all the way to 12k. It's a rush, and a lot different from a cruiser. I would recommend getting as much test/demo time as you can and going with what feels best. Safe and happy riding to you!

Bert-Aus

If you want a Fazer 8, find someone converting their FZ1 to the naked setup and buy their fairing, headlight, etc... and it should all go on an FZ8 without much modding. Or just buy an FZ1, which is pretty much an FZ8 plus. Same frame, better suspension, more power, blah blah blah and it already looks like a Fazer 8 for you.

For the OP, hit up a Yamaha demo day and see what suits you best. Some people hate naked bikes for touring. I love mine, but everyone is different. The 6R is plenty of power for the street, and nice to tour on, but lacking a bit in features and the suspension is not very sophisticated. The FZ8 is a step up in features and suspension, and it has enough power to play around a bit more. A 6R will drag your *** from A to B fast enough, the 8 will do it and lift the front wheel a bit along the way. The FZ1 is another step up from that. The suspension is more sophisticated still, and it is a seriously powerful bike.

On the flip side, the FZ6R is very inexpensive to run. It's great on fuel, doesn't require a ton of maintenance, and tires are fairly cheap. Insurance is pretty good on it, too. Moving to an FZ8 or FZ1 means less fuel economy, more expensive tires and you will wear tires, chains, sprockets, and other parts more quickly. Insurance companies are all different, but all 3 of these bikes are in the same class so expect costs to go up with engine size. The more it costs to buy, the more it probably costs to run.

Lots of people will tell you any stock suspension is total crap, and it pretty much is total crap if you're an advanced rider, but the 6R has the most basic setup of the bunch. You will notice the difference moving up to an FZ8 or FZ1. People put FZ1 suspension on FZ8's because it's a step up from the stock setup, and because there are lots of FZ1 suspensions available from all of the FZ1 guys and gals putting R1 suspension on their FZ1's, which is a step up from stock, and because there are lots of R1 suspensions available from all the R1 guys and gals getting Ohlins stuff... (see where this goes?)

Any of these bikes will be a huge difference from your Shadow. They're completely different animals. When the tach passes 5 it doesn't fall off, it gets more frantic and builds revs and keeps getting even more unruly all the way to 12k. It's a rush, and a lot different from a cruiser. I would recommend getting as much test/demo time as you can and going with what feels best. Safe and happy riding to you!
That is the best explaination for any graduation discussion re: moto's I have ever read on this forum -Someone should stiky that spiel, me thinks

Timbo64

I agree 100 percent with jacobdahl. about the difference between a cruiser and a sport bike.

My new 2011 Yamaha V Star 650 Custom was a dog on the interstate. At 80 mph it felt like the engine was going to self destruct. I know a few people who have over 50,000 miles on their V Star 650s and do a lot of solo interstate riding on them. However, I could not stand all of that vibration at interstate speeds. Of course the handling sucks too on most cruisers.

The Yamaha dealership I bought my FZ6R at has a couple of new FZ8s on the floor. Personally, if I were several inches taller I would have bought a new FZ8.
However, the FZ6R fit my short stature body better than any 600-650cc motorcycle, non cruiser of course, I've ever sat on so I bought one.