Fz1 Handlebars=Agressive OEM Fit

Captain_Kev

In the quest for the most aggressive riding position possible on this bike (not much to work with...) I installed Bikemaster Superbike bars about 3 months ago. Their quality reflected the $22 price tag, and although the riding position felt better than the stock bars, it was still lacking.

Due to an incredible amount of hot oil spilled by a broken bus 3 weeks ago, these bars were bent considerably in a low speed crash, so I decided to pick up a pair of FZ1 bars for $30 and give em a go.

They are significantly better than the stock or the Bikemaster bars. They have very little sweep to them and lay almost completely flat with virtually no rise (this is with the risers flipped btw). For the first time I feel 100% confident pushing through the twisties here in Colorado... the previous bars never felt quite right and led to hesitation in the corners.

For anyone wishing for a more aggressive riding position, I highly recommend FZ1 bars. Not only are they the quality you've already experienced with the stock bars, but they're OEM Yamaha so everything slides on and fits quite nicely... only one hole to drill and one to plug up with some silicone. Plus they've got the threads for the stock 17mm bar ends, which is really nice :)

Captain_Kev

Just realized this should probably be in the mods section, but I don't know how to move it... moderators, feel free to boot this into the correct section

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Captain_Kev

Ugh I knew those bouncy sign-holding smileys would come up...

I'll take some pics tomorrow :rolleyes:

So let me get this right. Did you have to turn the risers to the fwd position or can it go either way?

I have seen this on 1" risers but not on stock.
You can flip the stock risers around so you have the handlebars slightly more forward... the little arrows on the bar clamps end up pointing down instead of forward.

Last edited:

CrazyCawi

Ugh I knew those bouncy sign-holding smileys would come up...

I'll take some pics tomorrow :rolleyes:

You can flip the stock risers around so you have the handlebars slightly more forward... the little arrows on the bar clamps end up pointing down instead of forward.
Next time be proactive not reactive...lol :justkidding::justkidding::justkidding:

Briguy453

I'd like to know where you got the stock FZ1 Bar, I've been looking and can't find one, unless you bought it off ebay. I try to avoid ebay when it comes to things like used handlebars. I'm currently using a renthal ultra-low and I'm not really a fan of it. I havn't moved the risers yet, I'll probably try that, but I'd like to try the fz1 bar as well.

Hellgate

Just google Yamaha parts. There's a million places out there, and they all pull parts from the same Yamaha North American warehouse. I usually order from Stadium Yamaha in Dallas, or Xtreme Yamaha in Oregon.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Captain_Kev

Here are a few pics of the finished product

The last one shows the hole that needs plugging

Wonder if these would work?

FZ1 Yamaha Handlebar
Don't think they would, at full lock the levers would hit the fairing near the mirrors.

I bought mine off of yamahaofsi.com for $30

Attachments

Last edited:

Detrich

those look good, but still very high. i think the clip-ons under the triple are prolly the lowest and most aggressive position possible. search for Guido's thread on how he did his. his bike looks like the lowest handle bars i've seen on a 6R.

Captain_Kev

those look good, but still very high. i think the clip-ons under the triple are prolly the lowest and most aggressive position possible. search for Guido's thread on how he did his. his bike looks like the lowest handle bars i've seen on a 6R.
I think DakineChick was the first one to install them under the triple...

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/clip-ons-under-triple-why-yes-way-21211/index2.html

But I agree, this is definitely more aggressive than the FZ1 bars, and if one has the money and time to lower the forks and whatnot I think this would definitely be the way to get the most aggressive riding position possible.

But for $30, this aint bad :)

Btw, here's a side-shot, sorry bout my buddy's Shadow in the background

Attachments

Detrich

true, true...

here's some more food for thought... i know it's all "relative," but compared to super sports, the 6R is 475lbs wet weight- ie 50lbs heavier. and the weight is more noticeable on top. in this scenario, elevated handle bars actually makes it easier and less effort to steer the bike- namely because you're not forced into shifting your body weight to move the weight of the bike into each turn the way you would have to with a forward leaning riding position.

so, my counterpoint is that lowering the bars on the 6R may "look" more aggressive, but it actually makes the 6R much more difficult to ride and less responsive- given its 'top heaviness.'

super sports are only about 420 lbs and not top heavy. so, they easily fling to the left and fling to the right effortlessly. and, in a forward leaning riding position, u look + lean in the direction u wanna go, and the bike just miraculously goes there. not so much on the 6R...

it's really hard to describe, but i hope u guys get what i'm saying. maybe mike or jay can help sound in. but, my point is that, modding the bars to look more aggressive is going to be mostly cosmetic and not really help much in improving handling with this bike. just my .02 anyways....

Captain_Kev

Oh absolutely. Our bike was not designed to perform like a supersport, only resemble one while at the same time giving us an everyday ride and comfort that no supersport can hope to match.

That said, the lower bars to help cornering in the twisties (at least in my experience). I have noticed a significant difference in the ease of initiating and holding turns with the new bars... whether this is a legitimate physical advantage of the lower bars or a psychological advantage I have no idea. All I know is that I like them :D

Detrich

yah- i've noticed that lower bars do turn faster. but, it also depends on the center of gravity and weight of the bike- both of which feel higher. i think initially it might be an adjustment getting used to it. but, once adjusted, it should be easier to turn, as you would compensate for the weight of the bike... the 6R just doesn't flick left & right on a dime because of its weight, which erodes some of the advantages of having lowered bars.

Funkmaxtor

I find that the stock bars are rather awkward when you are hanging off the side of the bike in the corners. Instead of counter-steering I feel like I'm trying to pry the bike to the pavement with the grip. Lower bars would definitely help with that. However, I am concerned about the clearance between the bars and the top of the fairing. Any feedback about the clearance?