Fuel Vent Line Issues

ChUcK

Whenever I go out to the bike to ride there is always a drip of gas underneath the gas tank vent lines, and one of the lines is starting to degrade. I don't really have any other info yet, but does anybody know if it is normal for this to be occurring?

Dimefan

I have a little drippage under my bike as well, and one of the tubes looks to be "melting" a bit at the tip. I don't think it is gas, but I am not sure. It would be nice to know what's going on, though.

ChUcK

Those are the gas tank vent lines. It sounds like you have the same issue.

Deanohh? Anybody?

Deanohh

Maybe the chain is flinging off something under there and looks like its leaking? I don't know. If the fuel tank is very full maybe it could slosh out a little. The coolant overflow is down there somewhere too. Not familiar with the construction of the 6R tank but in some tanks the vent lines run internally in the tank and if they crack or leak inside, fuel will get inside the vent line and leak out. Can't check anything now because my kid has the 6R and he will probably keep it. I'd clean the bottom off real clean and put some paper underneath to try and see exactly where it comes from and what the material is. Taking it in to the shop is another possibility.

Don't know what would seem to melt the hose ends??? The one I had never leaked a drop of anything so you got me on this one.

Last edited:

frelay

Yeah, I got that! The vent line was leaking fuel and the dealer told be that this was normal... Well, it only happens when the bike is parked under the sun when the tank gets very hot, the fuel evaporates and drips from the vent line. Thera ya go! :wav:

JSP

Super Moderator
Its not an issue, its normal. That is why the tube is there. There are other tubes as well. It is for venting. The vapor will re condense and drip. Nothing to worry about, every bike I have owned drips a little. There is a crankcase vent, fuel, battery, and another I think.

ChUcK

Hmmm, I don't park my bike in the sun, but it does get parked in an enclosed (on 3 sides) carport that might not offer much air circulation to help cool down the bike. Maybe the hot engine is causing the fuel tank to vent built up pressure?

I know the breathers are supposed to do their jobs, I've just never seen it do its job so well and so much. Sorta like if your Roomba starts to wear holes in the carpet, is it malfunctioning or is it just so damn good at its job?

JSP

Super Moderator
The drips are no issue, but it shouldnt be deteriorating the line...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

msmrdr

Yeah, I got that! The vent line was leaking fuel and the dealer told be that this was normal... Well, it only happens when the bike is parked under the sun when the tank gets very hot, the fuel evaporates and drips from the vent line. Thera ya go! :wav:
I'm having the same problem..they told me it was normal and that the fuel tank is building pressure then venting thru the down tube and condensing into a oil?gas like fluid. Not happy about it but they say there is nothing they can do about it..

JSP

Super Moderator
I'm having the same problem..they told me it was normal and that the fuel tank is building pressure then venting thru the down tube and condensing into a oil?gas like fluid. Not happy about it but they say there is nothing they can do about it..
Tis normal... That is how they are all designed.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member