Front Sprocket and Chain

Kayo7

So since I am looking into replacing the front sprocket and chain (red), I decided to take a closer look at how much chain free play is set from the factory, 1.77-2.17 inches of play!! I feel like if I leave it that loose, I hear to much chain slap. So personally, I set my free play on my factory chain to about 1-1.25. Does anyone have any info about what they set there's to or should I set it back?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Stick with what Yamaha wants. You do not want a snapped chain or bad output shaft bearings from being too tight.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

JSP

Super Moderator
The proper range will be in your user manual and I believe on the side of your swingarm as well.

Make sure you are measuring the slack correctly too. Slightly push up AND then down. That is the measurement. And ON the side stand in neutral.

Kayo7

I got the spec right out of the owners manual, just like Martin says, 45-55 mm (1.77"-2.17") And I did make sure in was on the side stand and go up and down :)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
I got the spec right out of the owners manual, just like Martin says, 45-55 mm (1.77"-2.17") And I did make sure in was on the side stand and go up and down :)
I think when I had the 6R I always had it right at 2". Never an issue.

Kayo7

So what do you guys think for the rear sprocket? Aluminum or Steel?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Yes, I would always try to find steel if you can. Last much longer.

bloodypulp

I've been told 1.3 - 1.77 inches. It's about where I have mine.

I just started using Maxima Clear Spray Lube and it works pretty damn nice. Going to test it out more this weekend.
Let us know, cause the suzuki s-moly i use is a freakin mess.

JSP

Super Moderator
Let us know, cause the suzuki s-moly i use is a freakin mess.
I use Dupont Teflon lube. No mess, goes on wet and dries almost like a wax. Used it on all my bikes.

Tatty uses something else I cannot remember what he said, but his chain always looks really nice.

bmw675

+1 on the DuPont Teflon. I'm on my second cans and love it, especially over my previous blue label.

And kayo, since you've mentioned about heading to the track this year, they want you to have it set near the loose side of the recommended range. Remember as the suspension travels under acceleration, the slack will lessen.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

abyss1406

I use Chain wax and Chain cleaner mainly cause i live by the beach so it aint too bad

bleedinblue

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited: