From FZ6R to Liter Bike

Spunky99

So you have some information that maybe I don't have.
Did BMW change to a different fastener/bolt or whatever or forget to use Loctite on the 2012 models or is your bike next on the recall list?

I'd hate to be paying monthlies on a bike that I won't be able to take delivery on for a couple or 3 months. Insurance for a bike in a garage getting mauled by some junior wanna be mechanic or rushed through by an overworked factory mechanic making mistake after mistake. Sounds like they need to start shipping engines from Germany and make the VIN changes to the paperwork at the dealer.

Cmltoe

Did BMW change to a different fastener/bolt or whatever or forget to use Loctite on the 2012 models or is your bike next on the recall list?
I haven't read the 70+ pages of threads on the subject because it pertains to 2012's but from what I've gathered, the issue surfaces within the first few hundred miles (2011's are good to go ;)) and it was actually experienced by a BMW factory race team.

For those of us who are involved in innovation and producing cutting edge technologies, it goes without saying that there will be defects.... That's why I'm a "late adopter".:cool:

CrazyCawi

I haven't read the 70+ pages of threads on the subject because it pertains to 2012's but from what I've gathered, the issue surfaces within the first few hundred miles (2011's are good to go ;)) and it was actually experienced by a BMW factory race team.

For those of us who are involved in innovation and producing cutting edge technologies, it goes without saying that there will be defects.... That's why I'm a "late adopter".:cool:
you sir.....are a smart man

Cmltoe

you sir.....are a smart man
If I have to be completely honest, I only went with the 2011 because I like the motorsports color better than 2012 and the insurance rates were lower. Everyone who bought a 2012 (and me) believed that because there weren't significant enhancements vs. 2011, the reliability would be the same. I guess it doesn't take much....

Blue Cat

Beautiful, congrats! How many miles did you log on your 6R before making the move up, and over what period of time?

ksanbon

Congrats!
That's not just any liter bike, it's a best-buy superbike! Thanks so much for the insightful write-up.

Brock Kickass

Congrats! Very cool bike. I saw one last week when I was out for a ride and spent 10 minutes staring at it. Moving from a 6R to a liter bike is a huge jump. I jumped to an FZ1 this year, and can't believe it. The BMW must be so much more startling (I think my FZ1 is about 130hp?) of a jump. Definitely agree that starting on an FZ6R is a prudent choice. Although I am completely satisfied with my upgrade, there are lots of things I truly enjoyed about my FZ6R. Of course, an FZ1 is a lot closer in feel than that rocketship of a BMW is. Enjoy your new ride and be safe!