For everyone that wants a 180 tire on STOCK rim.

blkbrd

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Bert-Aus

That things going to pop off the bead. There's a thread on here somewhere that started just like this a couple of years ago. A few weeks later it ended with the guy admitting he wrong and that the bead popped while he was riding and he crashed, hard. DO NOT DO THIS. The bike was meant for a 160. Put a 160 on it.
AS soon as I read the Thread Title I was going to post those exact words...

Just because a tire is wider it does not equate to greater grip!

Years ago you could NOT find tires wider 160 and that included the MotoGP 500cc twin strokes,
they simply did not exist for moto's

adamo3957

AS soon as I read the Thread Title I was going to post those exact words...

Just because a tire is wider it does not equate to greater grip!

Years ago you could NOT find tires wider 160 and that included the MotoGP 500cc twin strokes,
they simply did not exist for moto's
Exactly, theres no need for it...

And a tyre that wide is only going to be at some incredibly steep angle. So now you have a motorcycle that the rear leans faster than the front... aka a bike desperate to crash.

take it off before you hurt yourself... and next time instead of buying a tyre that doesn't fit. Buy something grippy instead.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
Last edited:

Chucker

The rim is definitely designed for a 160, so why install the wrong size tire? There are no pros, and lots of cons.

At the same time, bikes are designed to perform as a unit. Making significant changes to the tire size, suspension travel, or even handlebars and position of the forks in the triple tree won't necessarily make it better, and more than likely will make it worse. The suspension on this bike is designed to perform with a 160 tire on the back. A larger tire won't make it handle better.

Now, if you're doing this because you think the bike looks better with a huge tire on the back and that is more important to you than the way it handles, get a rim that will fit the bike and the tire, for safety reasons. OR, buy a bike that comes with a 180 rear tire.

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Who the hell is the tire installer that did that for you? :eek:

Pretty dangerous. Just like stated before, someone did this and then quickly regretted it.