Flush mount DIY + turn signals in air scoop

travisH3

Ok so I was in a bind and wanted flushmounts but still wanted turn signal visibility from the dront of the bike. I may end up buying protons later down the road but i will wait and see how bright these are. I had a budget of $60 from selling my kawasaki jacket that matched my old bike. SO here is what i did and spent UNDER 60 bux.

What I bought
-LED flush mount turn signals(generic ones, bought them on ebay for $15)
-LED flush mount stick on turn signals( bought on ebay for $15)
-CustomLED ELFR-1 Flasher relay to prevent hyper flash and messing up my integrated tail light( ebay for $22.99)

total cost: $53 :D

Start by removing the front fairings, dont forget to take off the piece by the front tire first(there is another thread on here on how to take off the fairings so i dont want to be redundant)
should have something like this

remove the air damn and find a good flat position for the stick on signal to adhere to and still point in the direction intended

here is how i positioned mine before drilling the little hole for the wires to go through, once ya get it where ya like it, mark it and drill for wires. REMEMBER: measure twice cut once, hole is under turn signal so you cant see it anyways. Remove back and stick the turn signal onto air damn, and reinstall air damn with wires running out the bottom.

Next, cut the turn signal plug off the factory turn signal(i was on a budget so i did not buy new plugs. strip the black wire( ground) and the green wire(turn signal), the blue wire is running lights and since both signals are not running light equipped, i just left it and capped it with electrical tape

next, install the flush mounts into fairing and run the positive to the green on the plug and ground to the black on the plug. I then used spade connectors and clamped the female connectors to hold these tight. these connectors will connect to the turn signal in the air damn so that you still will be able to take the fair off without having to take the air dam out too.

after that is done you are ready to reinstall the fairing back onto the bike and make sure ya have the wires hanging out and not pinched anywhere. You should have a mess that looks like this hanging down. go ahead and connect the factory plug, and crimp the male connectors onto the air dam turn signals and plug them in. The ground goes to the black wired female connector and the positive goes to the female connector that has the green and yellow tied together.

once ya got everything plugged in, use electrical tape to seal everything up and hide the wires from the elements(i used zip ties to keep them held up)

You will follow the exact same steps for the other side, the only thing different on the "driver side" is the color of the factory plug and the wire colors, Blue is still running, black is still ground, but the turn signal wire is brown on this side

here is what your plug to flush mount connection will look like( yellow is positive for the flush mount)

The FINAL step is to get rid of that annoying hyper flash.

1.remove rear seat
2. find your factory flasher relay here

Last edited:

travisH3

3. remove the relay from the rubber holder and unplug the relay and get your led flasher relay

stock vs the new one

4. plug the new relay in

5. zip tie it into stock location

ALLLLLLLL DONE!!!!!!!!!

pics installed is what your waiting for.... :D

before

After

Michael Wilson

Fancy work man good job!

travisH3

Thanks, I will get some shots up tonight or tomorrow night. I think it turned out really good, I knew I was buyin the cheaper stuff so I was surprised for it actually to turn out pretty bright.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

travisH3

Looks good, I was thinking of doing something similar in the ram air ducts. I have 11 led triangular flushmounts which are a little more visible IMO then Protons from the front but still less then stock. Looking from the side the LED's are much better. I may do this in the offseason. Next light mod is HID upgrade.
Same here. I was gonna do the bulb and stock housing but I'm thinking I'm gonna send mine to a member on here doing projector retrofits wih an hid in the projector. Hid's are alot brighter but in the reflective housing it makes it not as bright because the light is scattered everywhere, where a projector focus's it. Only thing I feel you lose with a projector is it isn't as noticeable during the day time for another thing to make drivers see you. Idk

JSP

Super Moderator
Good job! .

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

travisH3

im taking some today with my camera, and will have some off night tonight in the driveway, maybe do a video so ya get the full effect. so far i have done a walk around of my 6r, gopro vid, and a video on the integrated tailight so i guess a flush mount will be the next one for youtube :)
KFXtravis's channel - YouTube

travisH3

Alrighty, as you wished. here are more pics of it in the day time, night time and a video at night. I have a really nice nikon camera and when i was trying to take the night pics, it kept making it look light out even without the flash on. Idk but anyway here ya go

FZ6R Flush Mounts - YouTube

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

StarZero81

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

travisH3

I haven't looked into it but the gsxr mirrors have turn signals in them, I wonder if they would fit our bike or how much modification is needed. I may try to do something like that. Overall I'm happy the way it turned out.

By the way, the motodynamics tail light is completely awesome. I have yet to find another led tailight that is as bright as it. I was wanting to order one for a friend of mine because he has a cheap one on his 650r and the only ones available for his 06 are the cheap ones that dont look very bright.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

StarZero81

Elite Member