flashing fuel gauge

swanlake647

Hi all!
I just had my bike lowered and when I went to pick it up and took it for a test ride the fuel gauge was flashing- I was low on gas when I dropped it off so filled it up and drove about 3 miles before I got back to the shop but the fuel guage was still flashing...

I left it with them to try and resolve but I am wondering if anyone has heard of what may cause this on a full tank?

The main mechanic was already gone for the day but we did take off the seat and gas tank and looked at all the wiring around where the link was installed, everything looked good/connected...

just wondering if anyone has any ideas?
thanks!!

Would check out the fuel sensor in the gas tank. Bikes usually don't have fuel gauges, just used to have to count your miles, then there was a reserve fuel light, and now fuel gauges. They aren't exactly accurate so I heard, they just give you an estimate.

I would check that out.

It has a self diagnosis system... If it thinks there is a problem in the circuit, it will flash 8 times and stop for about 3 seconds, then start again.

When you shut the engine off did it give you any fault code in the lower left of the display? The dealer should be able to read it and see exactly what it thinks the problem is..

They lifted your gas tank all the way up or removed it. There are 2 connectors under the tank. One is the gas gauge and the other is the reserve.
I lifted the tank and ripped the wires loose from the reserve connector. I was able to put them back like stock except soldered instead of crimped and you can't tell. Either they didn't reconnect the reserve connector or they stressed the wires and one has come loose in the connector.

This is why I do my own work. I make some of the same mistakes as the dealer but I double check and make sure I correct any mistakes before I am finished.

Thank you John- I think you are right.
We did lift up the gas tank and verified everything was connected but it makes sense that they could have stretched a wire or broken it where I couldn't see since that is the exact area they were working

Thanks again! :)

Back