First Trackday, Gear or Protection?

Which one should I get?

• Gear! You might not get a suit at the track since its limited.

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Track Fairings! Protect those expensive street plastics.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MikeN02

Going to (hopefully) be doing my first track day here around February with my local dealership and personal friend.

Money is tight for me so I have to decide which one to get beforehand so if I can't get the other in time.

I can either, rent their track suits, boots, gloves and get track fairings for my bike.

OR

Get track suit, boots and gloves and tape off my headlights, tail lights etc.

Which one should I do?

I'm leaning more towards tracking my fairings since my bike is my daily, if something happens I can sell my street plastics, make my track plastics street legal and fix the broken stuff with the money.

bmw675

I'll be doing my first track day in the spring.

I will be getting my own suit and racing boots. For now, I am going to stick with my stock fairings. I'm going to try and keep the new gear at or under a thousand, but you know how that goes.

My bike isn't my daily driver, but i do commute on it maybe 30% of the time.

MikeN02

I'll be doing my first track day in the spring.

I will be getting my own suit and racing boots. For now, I am going to stick with my stock fairings. I'm going to try and keep the new gear at or under a thousand, but you know how that goes.

My bike isn't my daily driver, but i do commute on it maybe 30% of the time.
If I get my gear I can keep it under a thousand, just the entry level gear for now since I'm going to be in the novice class. But as time progresses when I move up I'll step my gear up too.

Where you going for the track day?
Jennings GP in North Florida.

Heineken

Elite Member

bmw675

? What? I wanted to see where bmw is doing his first track day. Maybe I'll be there too
thinking autobahn first. Haven't looked at dates yet (don't know of any that are out yet).

I've heard STT is a good group to go with....

Heineken

Elite Member

bmw675

If I get my gear I can keep it under a thousand, just the entry level gear for now since I'm going to be in the novice class. But as time progresses when I move up I'll step my gear up too.

Jennings GP in North Florida.
That track just looks fast. alot of turns bunched up, and alot of open track from turns 14-1 and 1-3.

I wouldn't skimp on gear. you can crash just as hard at 110mph as you can at 160. a decent suit that i'm considering is in the $6-700 range. you can easily spend $2-300 on boots and another $100 on gloves.

I had a very good time with STT, let me know when your going, maybe I'll be there too :). North Course on ACC is pretty good, you'll love it.
will do. always nice to have someone around that can point out that you are riding like a little B1tch. :D

Heineken

Elite Member

Detrich

i'd say protective gear trumps bike cosmetics any day- period... that is always go for the gear first. if ur bike breaks, u can always repair it later on. but, if ur body breaks, everything in life comes to a screeching stop- ie work, school... etc.

that said, u should also be completely honest with yourself and self-evaluate how aggressively you intend to ride... i've never been to track, but i've read and heard a lot from the forums & from friends who've gone.

it seems like most new track go-ers who crash out usually do it exactly like how jon ker said- ie they receive some good instruction at the track, begin improving & getting comfortable- but then they start pushing the limits a bit too fast... there needs to be some adjustment time and skill building time in the learning process.

some ppl see crashing as "part of the learning process" and it's no big deal. tape up the fairings, and they're back out there the very next day or week. but, some ppl- like myself- see crashing as a wallet cruncher and major bummer... <lol>

i think that since your bike is also your transportation, i'd be extra cautious. sometimes crashes don't only damage the fairings. your forks, handlebars, brake/ clutch pedals are all vulnerable to some degree... so, even if u splurge for track fairings, you are still vulnerable to damage in other places...

so, think about what scenario is best for you... u should be able to have a great time and learn a lot while being safe. :)

MikeN02

That track just looks fast. alot of turns bunched up, and alot of open track from turns 14-1 and 1-3.

I wouldn't skimp on gear. you can crash just as hard at 110mph as you can at 160. a decent suit that i'm considering is in the $6-700 range. you can easily spend $2-300 on boots and another $100 on gloves.
Yeah does look more straights then your average tracks.

For boots I'm planning on SIDI Cobra's $250, Entry level track gloves A* SP-2, and for track suit around $600 like you. Easily under $1k.

Good points Gerry. Though I would like to see how far my limits go, this is going to be my first trackday and I'm sure plenty of others will follow. No need to get impatient and get into a wreck. I know other things can break and if I do get track fairings I can sell my street fairings to repair the broken parts.

Stop working etc. I work for my friend's company (friend who is coming with me) so he understands if I don't show up to work because of it, need money to replace it, or can't do something at work. I wrench on his bikes also. My first wreck he offered to replace my bike and me pay him slowly but I didn't have that.

Last edited:

Heineken

Elite Member

Hellgate

If money is tight, rent the gear. If you get into it then buy the gear.

If you buy anything buy very good gloves, not the $100 ones. The cheaper ones tend to blow out during a fall, the more expensive ones less so.
Also buy a back protector if they don't rent them.

If you are riding novice just go have fun, don't worry about the plastics and going too fast, they'll control your speed.

Have fun! :thumbup:

JonKerr

Elite Member

JustKatie

Have you considered buying some gently used gear on ebay? My husband has bought 2 pairs of Sidi boots for under half price of brand new and was completely satisfied.

MikeN02

Have you considered buying some gently used gear on ebay? My husband has bought 2 pairs of Sidi boots for under half price of brand new and was completely satisfied.
I have but I'm REAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLYYYYYYY small so I don't fit into most used gear.

5'4 and 140ish lbs. size 9 US shoes.

Skin grows back, steel doesn't!

Just kidding, I'm convinced to buying gear now. I decided on teknic boots and gloves, but don't know what track suit I'm going with yet.

JonKerr

Elite Member