First Trackday, Gear or Protection?

Which one should I get?

• Gear! You might not get a suit at the track since its limited.

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Track Fairings! Protect those expensive street plastics.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MikeN02

I just bought these gloves.
Teknic Xcelerator Gloves - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Absolutely love them. As for a suit, you need to try a lot of them on if you have a local store. Different suits fit differently.
Yep, that's what my friend recommends me. Also the Teknic Chicane boots.

He recently got into a bad accident going around 45 into a guard rail. Said his gloves still held up fine and he's going to be reusing them, same with the boots, no rash or anything. Teknic is a overlooked brand.

The only store around here is Cycle Gear which offers their A* Brands, in house BiLT, Sedici, and Dainese.

Sparkxx1

Mike did you check the r6-forums. Lots of gear I have my eyes on there but have close to no cash right now. Might be soemthing of use. I'm about your size too just taller. I'm 5'8'' and 140-145 lbs

Might wanna make an offer on Varna's boots or pay the 215$ he is asking. He is clean and I'd trust his stuff, I rode with him last spring when I was starting out.
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149628

Last edited:

MikeN02

Mike did you check the r6-forums. Lots of gear I have my eyes on there but have close to no cash right now. Might be soemthing of use. I'm about your size too just taller. I'm 5'8'' and 140-145 lbs

Might wanna make an offer on Varna's boots or pay the 215$ he is asking. He is clean and I'd trust his stuff, I rode with him last spring when I was starting out.
Sidi Vertigo Boots - Black size 43 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum
Yeah I have been checking the R6-Forums, eBay, weraforums, and sportbiketrackgear.

Just saw that ad today. Friend convinced me to get the Teknic boots as it saved his life recently ($160), before that I was going to get SIDI Cobra ($250) and before the cobra the Vertigo's.

Thanks for the look out.

Heineken

Elite Member

MikeN02

I like Teknic a lot, decent price for good quality products.
Yeah that's what he was telling me. That Teknic is a overlooked brand and he swears by it now.

Also, he was wearing a 1 pc Fieldsheer leather suit and he had no rash or anything from that except some broken internals from the guard rail.

Personally, since I haven't heard many people talk about it I figured it was on the entry level/lower brand. Kind of like how you never really hear people talk about AGV gear (helmet aside), Speed and strength, Cortech etc.

It's all about Alpinestars, Dainese, RS-Taichi, etc.

Heineken

Elite Member

Detrich

fieldsheer is definitely a budget-brand. but, any named-brand suit w/ ce armor is always better than without. ironically, i've noticed that the padding on my cheapo Fieldsheer suit jacket actually wraps around my forearms better than my new Pilot Evo jacket... i know that Pilot gear is used in AMA racing and constantly crash tested and crash-worthy. but, it's interesting to see that a low-level brand like Fieldsheer has really good impact padding in key areas on their leather products. just food for thought.

Hellgate

Be sure to check out the type of armor.that is used. The cheaper suits use a dense foam, whereas the better brands use a two layer armor with the outer be hard.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

MikeN02

Be sure to check out the type of armor.that is used. The cheaper suits use a dense foam, whereas the better brands use a two layer armor with the outer be hard.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk
Will do.

I noticed that my Cortech Air Mesh jacket that I got for free has cheap armor in it. It's not even "hard" armor just some cushions and what not so I'm more weary about checking it now.

Hellgate

Will do.

I noticed that my Cortech Air Mesh jacket that I got for free has cheap armor in it. It's not even "hard" armor just some cushions and what not so I'm more weary about checking it now.
If there is a Cycle Gear near you compare the Dainese armor to what is in Bilt. It's night and day.

Also remember you want the fit to be snug for the track. To get out of my leathers I need someone to pull on a sleeve to get the process going so I can get out.

I see new riders at track days with baggy leathers all the time, like two to three sizes too big. If you to fall loose leathers will not keep the armor in place, and the shifting leather can cause friction burns on you.

Finally, when you try on leathers wear you back protector. That way you know for sure you've got the right size.

Good luck and have fun!

MikeN02

If there is a Cycle Gear near you compare the Dainese armor to what is in Bilt. It's night and day.

Also remember you want the fit to be snug for the track. To get out of my leathers I need someone to pull on a sleeve to get the process going so I can get out.

I see new riders at track days with baggy leathers all the time, like two to three sizes too big. If you to fall loose leathers will not keep the armor in place, and the shifting leather can cause friction burns on you.

Finally, when you try on leathers wear you back protector. That way you know for sure you've got the right size.

Good luck and have fun!
Yep, compared my Cortech to my Dainese leather jacket.

Bloke

Will do.

That's not armour, that's just filler some jacket manufacturers put in to say "you know you can fit CE armour here if you want".

My jackets and trousers use dense foam. Though that's just for impacts, for your back you want a rigid board type protector as well so that if shit goes south, your back is already packing it's own splint.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Bay area rider

Invest first in good, inexpensive gear if money is tight. Get a reliable helmet, decent suit and boots with gloves, and definitely a back protector. In any track, they will always emphasize personal safety... and never mention track plastics as important at all.

Just have lots of fun out there. They always say you're not in a race, so take it
easy and ride at your own pace. You will love it!

My very first time on the track I was hella slow. The only rider that didn't pass me was me!:D

But I've enjoyed going back. I know your concerns about your bike... but if it comes down to a choice, I'd pick personal safety over track plastics any trackday of the year!:wav: