First Day. Three close calls

Spunky99

Roaddawg

It is a lot better than it use to be , that said , look out for them (cagers) because they don't look for you .
Countermeasures is a good word , be ready to take/make countermeasures for the ones that don't look . Being seen and heard is the key as everyone knows .
Oh when racing dirt bikes , I never used the clutch that much , just to start and stop mainly , maybe on some corners , lot less idiots pulling out in front of you on a closed course .
Today I still only use the clutch for starts and stops and a occasional corner , using the clutch wears it out faster . :thumbup:
Countermeasures, eh?!? This is what crossed my mind when you said that :D...hwy, I may be on to something...I just found a new reason for the 'dummy' button on the left grip!!:

Roaddawg

Disagree, but to each their own. Just don't know if riding around with an itchy clutch/front brake finger is wise (depending on speed mostly). I know sometimes obstacles present themselves without much warning, but hovering over top of the levers won't do much to speed up your reaction time... it's not like they're that far from the bar anyway. It's not like you'd drive a car with your foot hovering above the clutch and and your hand on the E-brake, would you?

The point of not having them over the levers is that if you were to hit a bump or something, you won't unexpectedly clamp down on the brake or clutch lever - causing a whole new safety problem you could have controlled.

And you're right, our horn does suck - which is why I have the TBR and tend to clutch in and rev it a bit to get my point across.
I hear what your saying and I'm not trying to get in a debate here, but I don't think Dart's saying have your fingers putting tension on the levers, but simply having a few fingers extended on top of the levers ready to go. I usually cover only the clutch lever and then either "all hand on throttle or all hand on front brake, but not both" (that advice is coming from a few motorcycle cop buddies of mine). I do this all the time when I'm splitting through traffic or riding in highly congested cross street traffic. And, no, I don't ride like that all the time, only when I'm in more hazardous traffic condition where I'm likely to have some idiot cut me off or whatnot. Being ready to clutch, brake and/or steer out of the way of a hazard is gonna do you a hell of a lot more than a couple angry chipmonk 'beeps' on your horn. I also use the "exhaust salute" when needed as well, but more of an after-the-fact as in "Hey dumbass, I'm right here!" or "Thanks alot idiot!". :D You gotta do what's comfortable to you and gives you the confidence to ride safe. :thumbup:

Spunky99

Countermeasures, eh?!? This is what crossed my mind when you said that :D...hwy, I may be on to something...I just found a new reason for the 'dummy' button on the left grip!!:
I'm a little more aggressive. Countermeasures are too late for me. I prefer being ahead of the game. Now if I can figure out how to mount this on my bike there won't be anything left of a cager cutting me off. He'll be cut off...LOL

creggur

Only point I disagree with is that the time it takes to reach out for the front brake isn't important. At 60MPH we're traveling 88 Feet Per Second. If I get on the brake 1/10 of a second faster, I've saved 8.8 feet of stopping distance. That can be the difference between stopping behind a car or winding up in the back seat:eek:...

Of course, physics isn't my strong suit, so I could have that all wrong... YMMV:thumbup:

I say go with what works for ya:)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Spunky99

Does he fire that thing with his junk?
Very cool photo.

I stick one finger out (first) to cover the front brake and 2 fingers over the clutch when riding in congested traffic. Screw hitting the horn unless you have lots of reaction time and then it's a moot point isn't it? Like an after the fact rev....
I have the shorty levers on and the brake set to #2 so it's easy to get full brake with 1 finger and the clutch is all the way out so I can get a full clutch release at a stop. The SS brake lines and scintered brakes also help front and rear to adjust my speed in a hurry. Sticky tires don't hurt either unless you tour or commute and then the mileage gets to be a trade off.

redwing-2001

I'd love to see this mentioned in drivers ed classes. I only took drivers ed 6 years ago and I am pretty sure not a word was mentioned about motorcycles. If people had a bit more of an idea that a bike might be around them, they might actually take an extra second and look... Then again like all of you said, talking on the cell or doing their make up comes way before taking an extra second to make totally sure no one is in the lane next to you.
thanks to all the my fellow RiderCoaches chiming in and explaining some of the fine points of what is covered in the basic class. It is a basic class, often with new riders that have never ridden before the class. We have to treat them differently. So, as you progress, little subtle things should change and improve as well. Keep educating yourself (from good, valid sources).
Now, about mentioning this in Drivers Ed classes. MSF has a series called Host an Event. One of the events is
Intersection - Motorist Awareness Kit
Intersection is MSF’s newest approach to enhancing motorist awareness of motorcycles. The program combines personal stories and character development with a dramatic new look at a crash scene that’s all too common. The DVD contains three separate 13-minute versions to appeal to teens (via driver education classes), adults (via traffic schools), and commercial drivers (via employee orientation). Includes Leader’s Guide, ten Participant’s Guides, and 25 Quick Tips brochures.
go to Motorcycle Safety Foundation for more details.

ry-mac75

Yeah - I hear ya. I keep forgetting you California guys can lane split and what not, which leads to a whole different set of problems. Honestly, when I was there two months ago, I almost clipped some guy on a 600RR that was lane splitting at a high rate of speed. Not being from an area that allows that, it was a bit of a SURPRISE! moment. After that, I was a bit more mindful - like looking for cyclist in a bike lane here, only at like 90 mph.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

I hear what your saying and I'm not trying to get in a debate here, but I don't think Dart's saying have your fingers putting tension on the levers, but simply having a few fingers extended on top of the levers ready to go. I usually cover only the clutch lever and then either "all hand on throttle or all hand on front brake, but not both" (that advice is coming from a few motorcycle cop buddies of mine). I do this all the time when I'm splitting through traffic or riding in highly congested cross street traffic. And, no, I don't ride like that all the time, only when I'm in more hazardous traffic condition where I'm likely to have some idiot cut me off or whatnot. Being ready to clutch, brake and/or steer out of the way of a hazard is gonna do you a hell of a lot more than a couple angry chipmonk 'beeps' on your horn. I also use the "exhaust salute" when needed as well, but more of an after-the-fact as in "Hey dumbass, I'm right here!" or "Thanks alot idiot!". :D You gotta do what's comfortable to you and gives you the confidence to ride safe. :thumbup:
I'll have what he is having , countermeasures :

If Chuck can do it , so can I . Don't mess with Chuck !
Another way to be safe :

Last edited by a moderator:

ksanbon

I wear yellow, but I find it helps to assume that the cagers won't see me. It keeps me alert, and, because there are fewer surprises, my blood pressure stays level. I've also learned to appreciate the "good" drivers.

Last edited:

Spunky99

That how I ride. Just resting my 2 fingers on the levers if there's traffic around me. I'm not grabbing the levers, just resting my fingers on it. I also use the crampbuster. So my hand rest almost flat on top when I ride on freeway.
I will use the Crampuster if I am going on a long freeway cruise only. When I am in town in traffic or hit the twisties, the first thing I do is remove that death plastic from the bike.
I don't know how many times I've accidentally blipped the throttle with the CB on the throttle. It could ruin your whole day when in the twisties and you blip it and do a lowside or blip it when trying to do a delicate maneuver in traffic.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member