First bike questions

Which bike should I get?

• 08 FZ-6

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 11 FZ6R

Votes: 31 96.9%

• Total voters

GoWild

I am looking at buying my first bike and I found two local shops that have the fz6 available. I originally was looking at buying a cruiser but now I am looking at street bikes with bolt on bars. Both these bikes are about the same price just different years and miles. I only know the basics as far as CCs, liquid cool and fuel injected. Which of these two bikes would you choose?

2011 Yamaha FZ6R | Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Simply Street Bikes

http://www.citiesedge.com/2008-fz-6-inventory.htm?id=633726&used=1

Please let me know any opinions or ideas or technical reasoning. My decision will probably result from the outcome of this thread.

latony007

I dont know much about the FZ6 when i started riding it was already discontinued i guess but they are both low miles. I would get the FZ6R, its fully faired, 3 years newer, and looks better. For performance i cant speak to it. The FZ6R will be a handful for your first bike so be careful. I started on a cruiser and then sold if after about a year and got this bike, then wound up buying another so i could have both cruiser and sport. Look on this site you might be able to get a better deal from someone selling theirs, also check out the thread what did you pay for you fz6r you might be able to get a new one for an extra 1000. also check cycle trader in your planning to pay cash.
Good luck!

pkoko

FZ6R--> 65-70 hp
FZ6 --> 90 hp
R6 --> 100-105 hp

As a first bike... The FZ6R is plenty of power. Anything more is borderline too risky. That especially true if the bike has no electronic aides (like ABS, TC, power modes etc). Stick with the FZ6R and learn how to ride.

Heck, when I upgraded to from FZ6R to GSX-R750; I stayed on "B" power mode (reduced engine power) for almost a week just to get used to extra power (125 hp).

Last edited:

iaminsider

Welcome to the forums. I grew up in Minneapolis and live just south of there now.

As for which one... The FZ6 has more power and looks are subjective... What really matters is which fits YOU physically, which YOU like as far as looks go and which YOU can ride SAFELY. Neither bike is really appropriate for a beginner. Getting a 250 would be the best choice for a beginner then moving up from there.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

yillbs

My first bike

my first bike was a 2006 yamaha Fz6. I loved everything about it, it was a HORRIBLE idea to make it my first though. I gave it a few weeks on my own, i had driven bikes ( my parents have harleys and they would let me ride with them ), and that sound and power ratio was great for me! even learned to ride two up that way. Well.. two up on a bike like this with 90HP is bad, i did a wheelie with my fiance at the time on the back! it's got amazing power. I never once dropped it, because i'm really anal with stuff.. but it's just to much power for someone that's under 200 pounds as a first bike. It's extremely heavy, and even more so, very less forgiving with the grips.

BUt.. lets be honest, the fz6r looks better , it's on par with some super sports, and it's still going to beat just about any production car off the red light... so when it comes to choices i'd highly focus on whatever looks better to you, because in the long run.. that's what you have to look at. The speed.. their all fast homie :)

lark

I like the fz6r because it's so smooth and easy to handle while riding. If I had had it as my first bike, I probably would've dropped it since it's so heavy and I'm not very tall. I'm glad I had a beater Buell that I toyed around with before I got the fz6r. It let me know how truly nice the fz6r is, everything from how comfortable the bike is, to the handling, to the acceleration etc. I vote fz6r! :D

latony007

well i didnt want to come out and say it but since everyone else did i will chime in with them, this bike is fairly heavy and if your not a huge guy i would recommend exactly what Mr. T said, get a cheap Ninja 250 or even a 600cc cruiser and ride it for 6 months or a year and then sell it and get the FZ6R. They are easy to sell because they dont need a massive cash outlay. In fact you will find a lot of low milage 250's that have had 3 or 4 owners already because after riding a few thousand everyone wants to upgrade. The guys that take a bath are the ones that buy the 250 or 300s new. The final added plus is you buy a cheap 250 your not going to be heart broken when you drop it in the driveway :)
However if you dont do that i still say go with the FZ6R.

GoWild

Im 5'10" 250lbs with a muscular build so I'm not too worried about the weight. I sat on both of them and even the FZ09 which is the bike that got my interested in the bolt on style handle bar sport bike and they all felt good even though my feet aren't completely flat on the ground. I'll be riding 40 miles a day all highway and plan to do a lot of practicing before I venture out and take a MSC. So many choices out there!!! I like the price points of the 250s but know I'll want to upgrade as soon as I get used to it. I want the FZ09 but buying a new first bike doesn't seem smart. Thanks for all the inputs. The miles doesn't deter anyone???

Alex6

Im 5'10" 250lbs with a muscular build so I'm not too worried about the weight. I sat on both of them and even the FZ09 which is the bike that got my interested in the bolt on style handle bar sport bike and they all felt good even though my feet aren't completely flat on the ground. I'll be riding 40 miles a day all highway and plan to do a lot of practicing before I venture out and take a MSC. So many choices out there!!! I like the price points of the 250s but know I'll want to upgrade as soon as I get used to it. I want the FZ09 but buying a new first bike doesn't seem smart. Thanks for all the inputs. The miles doesn't deter anyone???
Obvious vote for a full faired bike - FZ6R.

Nmexico

I would go for the new Yamaha R3, looks like a boatload of fun.
470pds for a first bike is a lot to me. The FZ's weight is not its strongpoint.
The forgiving nature of the bike is awesome if you do eventually go for the FZ6R.

anson650

Either bike will serve you well, and they are both low milage. Motorcycle Consumer News preferred the FZ6R to the FZ6 when the '09 FZ6R first came out. The FZ6 is a little high strung, you have to get up in the revs to make it work, and the 6R has more torque down low where we spend most of our time. Both are good looking bikes (I prefer the all Red 6, and the 2010 all raven 6R). You'll be fine if you take it easy for the first year.
Good Luck,
Anson

buzzbomb

Elite Member

GoWild

Checking my ego

I've been looking at the 300cc bikes now. And will look into the 250cc more. I can afford a more expensive bike but I am cheap lol so as I research I've slowly found reasons to get a lesser expensive bike and lower cc bike. A 250 is probably the wisest choice. Thanks for talking me off the ledge!!

iaminsider

As everyone has said, you will grow out of the 250cc bike however unless you greatly damage it, if you buy used you will make your money back when you resell it.

anson650

Yes. Take the MSC first. There are 1000 things you need to know to be safe. This class can keep you alive long enough to learn some of them. And safe is a relative term. Riding motorcycles safely is about controlling the risks.
Take the course,
Anson
p.s. Besides the course could help save you money and not just on your insurance. It might help you choose the bike that is best for you.

lark

Yes. Take the MSC first. There are 1000 things you need to know to be safe. This class can keep you alive long enough to learn some of them. And safe is a relative term. Riding motorcycles safely is about controlling the risks.
Take the course,
Anson
p.s. Besides the course could help save you money and not just on your insurance. It might help you choose the bike that is best for you.
Taking the MSC first helped me feel more comfortable once I bought the bike and took it on the ROAD where stupid people like to drive their cars. also, if you drop their bikes who cares ;)

GoWild

Does anyone know if its actually cheaper to buy in the winter months vs the summer. Or is it better to buy in the summer since there will likely be more people selling their bikes. :banghead:

latony007

Your right you will want to get rid of the 250 in 6 months or a year but thats the point of them. I agree against buying new your first because until you get on and ride one for 3 months you wont know what bugs you and what doesnt. I like the FZ09 it is massive power for the $ but its too much power for a new rider and has no wind protection at all, your doing 40 miles a day on the highway i dont recomend it. But Marthy will :)
But to answer you question does 8000 miles on an 11 FZ6R worry me? HELL NO, barely broke in. tons of guys on here with 75-80k miles