Dumping into neutral while in gear???

JSP

Super Moderator
Went out on a ride at lunch and took off from a stop. Shifted from first to 2nd and went up to about 10k. Right at 10k before I could even touch the shifter or clutch to shift, the bike dumped into neutral on its own :mad: Hope it didnt hurt anything.

I am switching to the Rotella 5w-40 synthetic tonight. Hopefully that will help make better shifts.

Anyone have this happen? Why did it wait until 10k to drop back into neutral on me. Could it have hurt anything? I didnt notice anything out of the ordinary...

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Went out on a ride at lunch and took off from a stop. Shifted from first to 2nd and went up to about 10k. Right at 10k before I could even touch the shifter or clutch to shift, the bike dumped into neutral on its own :mad: Hope it didnt hurt anything.

I am switching to the Rotella 5w-40 synthetic tonight. Hopefully that will help make better shifts.

Anyone have this happen? Why did it wait until 10k to drop back into neutral on me. Could it have hurt anything? I didnt notice anything out of the ordinary...
It has happened to me a few times. It is a result of sissy shifting or short shifting. What I mean is that if you don't pull up hard enough or full enough on the shifter lever, it doesn't go completely into 2nd gear. I haven't had it happen between any other gears, just 1st and 2nd.

JSP

Super Moderator
It is a result of sissy shifting or short shifting.
WHO YOU CALLIN A SISSY!?! :D :justkidding:

Yeah, I figured something like that maybe. I'll try to be a little more manly in my shifts. :cheer:

1st and 2nd give me the most trouble like you said. All other gears are great.

fz6rwolf

Have only had it happen couple times and that's been in traffic when something unexpected happens during shift (like sudden brake lights in front of me in middle of shift and I'm shifting, starting to brake at same time I might lightfoot the upshift).

mfischler

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Anyone still having this issue??? I've only had it happen a slight few times since I first posted this. Each time I can almost call it when it will happen because I can feel I pussy footed it. Giving it a solid shift and holding the shifter up until I let the clutch out never gives me any problems.

Detrich

i'm not doing it as much nowadays that i've been riding more. it did happen a couple times when i first got the bike... but, like i mentioned on the other thread, even after the 600 mile oil change i didn't really notice a night/ day difference with the shifting smoothness like other ppl have experienced... =\

bmw675

ive dont it a couple times, and i knew it was from my own fault. i knew i didn't go through neutral completely.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Detrich

yah, it ends up being a powershift in order to compensate sometimes, which is kinda fun actually- since it's a quick high-rev throw into 2nd... vroom VROOM! hehe

mchury

i have had this happen to me once but it was while i was riding on the back wheel. lol scared the crap out of me thought i blew the gears out on the pull up. But its deff just the fact of not shifting "manly" as jspansel put it lol

bmw675

ive done it between 5th and 6th when speedshifting on the freeway, i back off throttle slightly and kick up shifter then lay on throttle, (as per my understanding of speedshifting), it usually works great with no issues but once or twice it reved the crap out of the engine as if in neutral, when i ease off throttle again it seems to sit into gear... freaks me out, i pretty much quit speed shifting because of it
i had this exact same thing happen once to me. didn't understand how until now.

mtucker

It's happened to me a few times, especially when hitting high rev's in first. I almost lost the bike one day because of it doing a small wheelie in first!:(