Help, Is this transmission issue?

DaveTheCanuck

When the wind is blowing you around you need to stay loose on the controls. "Holding on for dear life" is only making things worse.

You control the bike by counter-steering with your arms. If the wind is blowing you around, your arms are moving around. The stiffer you are, the more of that movement gets transmitted into the bike.

Stay loose.

When you shift, preload the lever with your foot and shift firmly. If you don't press the shift lever all the way up/down, the gear selector cam doesn't rotate enough to lock into the next position, which can allow the transmission to drop down a gear.

tho9504

What do you weigh and what's the rear spring pre-load set at? What's your tire pressure? Standard tire pressure is 33F/36R and I would stick with that. Is your gauge ok or crap? If you're around 175 lbs, I'd go with a pre-load of 3 or 4. I wouldn't go to 5 unless you're over 200 lbs. Whatever the wind has in mind for you, push for countersteer. Easy peasy.
i weigh only 130 lbs.. 5'6". The tire pressure is 33F/36R. I never messed with the spring pre-load, it is whatever the factory default setting was.

My ideal speed would be 60-65 mph on the highway but everyone around me was going much faster, so i had to speed up. Anything above 65 mph is when i start to feel the resistance and any bump tends to throw me off the seat for a second.

Everyone is going to hate me for this, but i was going around 78 mph and i was hoping there was a traffic jam ahead of me on the highway so, everyone could slow down. :D

DaveTheCanuck

Great video showing how a motorcycle transmission works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EMIdGgsQ68

Excess oil won't cause a clutch/transmission to slip (though it's still not good for the bike). Excess oil is sucked up by the bike's positive crankcase ventilation and dumped into the airbox. There's a drain hole in the airbox just for this, with a clear plug capping it off allowing you to check for oil. You can see it if you peak between the frame and the gas tank on the left side of the bike.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

SixRFixR

i weigh only 130 lbs.. 5'6". The tire pressure is 33F/36R. I never messed with the spring pre-load, it is whatever the factory default setting was. :D
There you go. 130 is lighter than most, so your pre-load should be less than most. Standard is 3. Try 2 or even 1.