Dual sport engine size?

What size engine would you get in a dual sport?

• 250cc or less

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • 400cc ish

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • 650cc ish

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • 900cc or larger

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

RoadTrip

The WR250R would be my top pick, KTM 500 EXC would be second, 650's are considered too heavy to be fun by many.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Guy i used to work with had klr 650 and his girl a klr 250. He ejoyed hers offroad more and his onroad. Said his was too heavy to really be fun. But hers was a bit of a drag slabbin the pavement to the trails.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member
Last edited:

BoneJj

My thing is that I want a 2 cylinder dual sport and no one seems to make a 400ish bike with 2 cylinders..... or anything more than one cylinder for that matter...

the only dual sport with anything other than a single cylinder is the Triumph tiger but that's 800cc which is a big extreme and excessive for offroad use. They need to make a 500cc version or anything from 400-500cc. That and it comes in at 473lbs, that's just excessive for a dual sport bike. that needs to be trimmed down a lot.

Last edited:

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member
Last edited:

BoneJj

why? torque is key for off road =P more cyl basically just lets you go faster
"The number of cylinders gives you a more even application of power, and the smaller cylinders allow higher RPMs for much greater power -- but for brute twisting grunt torque the single cylinder rules. Which is why dirt bikes, where torque is at a premium, are mostly singles."
yes, but I like the lack of sever vibration at highway speeds when I want to commute on the bike, so a nice 2 cylinder setup for a dual sport would work great for me in that regard.

What was one of the biggest decisions when I was buying my current bike, not having vibrations or as little as possible. Try riding a DRZ400SM on the interstate for while. The thing will vibrate like a SOG.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

BoneJj

If you buy one I better get a finders fee.I accept integrated tail lights as currency btw.

Aprilia
okay now those look like a nice set of options but I would probably have to drop the bike about 3 inches in order to be able to ride it. At a seat height of 36 inch I wouldn't even be able to touch the ground even with the tip of my toes at a light. Thy have 12.5 inches of ground clearance and even if I brought it down to 8.5 with a 4 inch drop that would be plenty for the majority of the riding that I would do down here and give me a nice working seat height for everyday riding.

I can't seem to find the weight of the bike though, I must be missing something...

Looks like a really promising bike. I always forget about them when I'm looking at bikes, probably because I don't have a local dealer for them.