Do you run red lights?

redwing-2001

Soooo what do you recommend? Wait indefinitely until someone shows up that can trigger the sensor? Or are you pleading the 5th?
sorry, but I didn't notice the question before. My point was that someone speaking in an "official" MSF capacity, in this case while teaching a class, would not advocate intentionally breaking the law. What I recommend is to make a right on red then a u-turn, moving around until the light is triggered, shut down and start back up with the side-stand down, waiting for another vehicle to trigger the light. Now, if a motorcycle consistantly gets trapped at that light, report it to the local DOT and they can adjust the sensitivity.
Also, write your representatives to draft a law for motorcycles to treat the traffic actuated signal as a stop sign.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

kevin8198

Elite Member

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

redwing-2001

Original question: Do you run red lights?

Every freakin day.

Sometimes because I know my bike won't trip the loop and sometimes because I can.

Red lights are fascist.

And here in GA its legal as long as you come to a complete stop first.
Might want to double check on that in Georgia, I am pretty sure that bill did not pass (actually it didn't even come to a vote). Currently the only way to proceed through a red light in Georgia is a complete stop then right (only).

rhnatyk

Yep, happens all the time at advance left turn signals in Atlanta. If I can, I move forward as far as possible to allow a car into the sensor zone. If no cars join me I just make the left turn when it's safe.

ariaswan

running in red lights

Many people are running in red lights. Especially those who are in states that running in red light is legal. Nebraska is thinking about the bill that would allow motorcycle drivers to run red lights under certain conditions. Opponents say the move is too great a safety danger. You can read more about the article.
Running Red Lights. Buy here, pay here, car lots for your situation.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

SurfJunkie

If you approach the light correctly, you can usually get a green.

as you come up to a light, you will notice 3 rings on the ground. ( depending on signal, sometimes they are 1 big ring. those are the pain in the ass ones. )

If you ride over the left or right corner of all 3, and STOP with your front wheel directly on the last one, you can usually get it to cycle green WITHOUT having to purchase the bullshit magnets that do nothing or run the light.

As stated above, those large single loop ones suck. There is one in my path every day at the meter light for the freeway and Im usually the only traffic. I gave up stopping for that one weeks ago. I don't even sit and wait for it anymore. just throttle up and merge.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Spunky99

I ran one today.
Pulled up and centered the stupid sensor just after the light went red and waited the nearly 2 minutes for the left hand turn signal to trigger.
It didn't.....
No cars behind me and nothing to trigger the stupid left turn. 2 lanes to the right straight and a 3rd to make a left turn. Not legal to do a right and figure another way.

So I waited until it was safe and made my turn against the red light.
I could have been there 5 minutes to an hour before a car triggered the light.

DragonBlu

I ran one today.
Pulled up and centered the stupid sensor just after the light went red and waited the nearly 2 minutes for the left hand turn signal to trigger.
It didn't.....
No cars behind me and nothing to trigger the stupid left turn. 2 lanes to the right straight and a 3rd to make a left turn. Not legal to do a right and figure another way.

So I waited until it was safe and made my turn against the red light.
I could have been there 5 minutes to an hour before a car triggered the light.
Hey,,if no one saw you ,then did you really run a red light? Kind of like the old "if a tree falls in the forest".

Spunky99

Hey,,if no one saw you ,then did you really run a red light? Kind of like the old "if a tree falls in the forest".
I used that argument at lunch today with my workmates. LOL it didn't work but who cares.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

godwearsblack

I've done it once, been presented with the problem often though.i always try and wait for about 2 min. if theirs no traffic I'm down to take it as a stop sign and go.