Direct Ignition?

Frinksbonkers

A thought just popped into my mind, i had a scooter that i tuned every part on, one of the parts i touched was the ignition coil, and by that i mean swapped it for a direct ignition. Like this:

http://www.scooterworks.com/Blog/image.axd?picture=2011/10/feature_0900-1075.jpg

It changed the responsiveness, the engine ran better and started straight away on one crank.

i have seen the same things on high performance cars and was wondering how good they would be for our engine? or has anyone seen anything similar on bikes?

Once my cash flow calms down from buying my XJ6 I will probably end up fiddling.... :)

pilninggas

quite a few bikes have pencil coils now - my 08 zx6r had them.

i think yam have stuck to two coils (with wasted spark) as it is quite a bit cheaper. Pencil coils are less prone to damp - the standard coils should be good for at least 6 years or 50000miles before they need replacement.

Retrofitting pencil coils probably isn't an option as they usually require a bolt-down point to ensure they sit on the plug properly and are adequately secure.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

how does it affect performance? Im not sure the function of direct ignition

BoneJj

This thread is interesting. Any good links to explination of this?

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

CrazyCawi

but how does that give you any performance addition?

pilninggas

but how does that give you any performance addition?
The idea is that leads can leak to earth, due to wear and tear, ozone damage etc, causing more misfires and potentially worse emissions and performance.

Direct coil-on-plug reduces the links in the HT part of the ignition and so is less likely to lead to misfires - a lot of yamahas seem to suffer from iffy coils/leads/caps after about 50000miles or 6/7 years, usually with the rider stuck on the side of the road during a downpour (moisture manifests the problem).

I think ultimately companies like Bosch, Delphi and Denso want to have an integrated system whereby each cylinder can monitor it's own emissions and alter advance either completely independently of the main ECU or within a finite range. The manufacturers, be it car or bike, are probably not keen due to the increased cost of such set-ups, but it may come in the next few waves of increased emissions controls.

Some racers swear by pencil coils, as they try to remove all performance reducing variables (1 or 2% misfires is too many for them) - you can buy aftermarket for cars.

Frinksbonkers

from what i remember they also give a much more powerful spark, as its one coil doing one job, not one coil doing two jobs. i just remember how astonished i was with my scooter, it only had 14000km on it, but it used to take a few cranks to fire up, after the coil was put on it fired up as i pushed the button.

I may try to buy some from my mate in Taiwan once I work out the deep of the plugs in the cylinder head, and a way to mount them on a rail to stop them moving.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Spunky99

My old 1999 Triumph Daytona 955i has 3 pencil coils and I have a spare set just in case.