Decision Time: Weigh In and Help Me Decide

SAFE-T

The DN-01 got mixed reviews in terms of it's performance, and is almost universally acknowledged as an ugly piece of engineering.

In comparison, the FZ6R is almost universally lauded as a great overall bike.

I think that says it all.

CDN6R

The DN-01 got mixed reviews in terms of it's performance, and is almost universally acknowledged as an ugly piece of engineering.

I agree with you,but apparently there are those in the FZ6 Forum who do not agree.:D

MIRIDER

:thumbup::thumbup:

MIRIDER

You're not alone. When I ride the FZ6R, it just makes me smile. It does just about everything well that I want it to. I'm probably not going to take it to the track, and I'm not going on any 1500 mile trips. I'm 62, and in pretty much the same position. My last 3 bikes were a Ducati S4RS Monster, a custom Harley FatBoy and a BMW R1100RT. I've already ridden the FZ6R more miles that any of those in the same time period.
I find your post interesting.
I've always thought of myself as more of a cruiser type of person until I ran into this FZ6R at a show, (2011 Copper to be exact). This bike has grabbed me and it is just a matter of time before I put pencil to paper and get a FZ6R.
I went back to the dealer last night and told them no on the DN-01 and told them that I am interested in what I originally came in for and that is the FZ6R

However, because you say you have had the Fat Boy and a Ducati, bikes that I have shown some interest in. I'm interested as to why you find this bike more appealing to ride, which it must be if you are ridding it more then you did the others. Or do you just have more time now?

My deal is that I want a fun but good toy without the price of the Harley or Ducati. From everything I've heard and looked up the FZ6R seems to be it. My friend almost had me side tracked with the DN-01, but I've cleared my head and I'm back on track.

Superzoom

Thanks Superzoom, that is why I am backing off the DN-01, I think I will eventually be second guessing that purchase.

I was originally after a FZ6R and that is what I am going to stay with.

I have gone outside of this forum and have done a lot of research on both bikes.

I feel as though the responses have not been overly biased. I think the responses have been fair and a lot of them are the same thoughts and feelings I am having.
Cool...

By the way, the DN-01 may have sounded like a good deal for the money (although that's still debatable, as it was crazy overpriced to begin with), the $5500 out-the-door price for the FZ6R is fantastic as well. I paid about $8000 for mine up in Canada, where everything except hockey skates is priced like an exotic import.

Also, and I don't mean to stir the pot (or maybe I do!?!), have you checked out the Sportster lineup? I used to own a Sportster Roadster, and loved that bike to bits, using it as a tourer, commuter, fun bike and even back roads racer. The MSRP prices are close to an FZ6R (although you won't get the great deal you found on an FZ6R).

Performance wise, the Sportsters are inferior to the FZ6R in every way: heavy, bad suspension, low on power. But the Sportsters are reliable, beautiful, and dripping with character, the one thing the FZ6R is deficient in. You'd have to ride one to understand it, but just starting my Sportster gave me a thrill. And it was fun to go slow or fast on it (and I did lots of both). The super torquey engine is a gem, too. I developed an instant emotional attachment to it that I have yet to do with my FZ6R. If you're buying a bike for fun, character ranks pretty high on a list of priorities.

The FZ6R is the pretty girl-next-door whom your parents love and makes good marriage material. The Sportster is the girl with the reputation and the wild streak that you can't stop thinking about.

CDN6R

Actually last year when I was M/C shopping I was looking at a 883 Sportster Iron,, Silver and Black. I have never had a H.D. before and once I saw the Iron,I loved the color and just the whole overall look. The price was not to bad and I did alot of research on YouTube and the internet on this model. So last May I made the trek to Privateers H.D. in Halifax to negotiate a price on a new 883 Iron. The salesman would not take one 1 cent off the suggested list price. For me this was a hard pill to swallow,,you don't pay full list for a new car/house or any other motorcycle. So after much talking I conceded and said ,,,OK I will swallow it and pay full list but you need to give me a deal on a new helmet and jacket. The sales man said `The price on the helmet or jacket is the price you pay`:eek: With that I walked out and never went back.:Flip: On top of that I found out that they charge $300 (plus 15% Tax) for 1st service which I thought was quite pricey. I then went to my Suzuki,Yamaha dealer and bough the 6R. Someday I may have a H.D. Sportster Iron but not for a long time. BTW people I know get 55 MPG (Imperial Gallons) with a Sportster while I get up to 70 MPG while cruising with the 6R.

Superzoom

Actually last year when I was M/C shopping I was looking at a 883 Sportster Iron,, Silver and Black. I have never had a H.D. before and once I saw the Iron,I loved the color and just the whole overall look. The price was not to bad and I did alot of research on YouTube and the internet on this model. So last May I made the trek to Privateers H.D. in Halifax to negotiate a price on a new 883 Iron. The salesman would not take one 1 cent off the suggested list price. For me this was a hard pill to swallow,,you don't pay full list for a new car/house or any other motorcycle. So after much talking I conceded and said ,,,OK I will swallow it and pay full list but you need to give me a deal on a new helmet and jacket. The sales man said `The price on the helmet or jacket is the price you pay`:eek: With that I walked out and never went back.:Flip: On top of that I found out that they charge $300 (plus 15% Tax) for 1st service which I thought was quite pricey. I then went to my Suzuki,Yamaha dealer and bough the 6R. Someday I may have a H.D. Sportster Iron but not for a long time. BTW people I know get 55 MPG (Imperial Gallons) with a Sportster while I get up to 70 MPG while cruising with the 6R.
Hi Laurie,

It's always been pretty normal to pay full MSRP on a Harley. The Sportster lineup for Harley is probably the best "value" that Harley has, so even if you pay full retail, it's a decent value, plus Harleys maintain good resale value. Maintenance is also super simple and you will save money in that way in the long run. You can easily skip the first service, as all it really is is an oil change and checking a few tolerances (but not valves, as they're hydraulic). I did my own first service. Bought the manual.

Although I paid full retail on my Sportster, I can only say good things about Harley of Toronto where I bought it. When I bought a few hundred dollars of accessories, they installed them for free, which I never even asked about.

I hope you're happy with your choice of the FZ6R. I know I am, although I have very fond memories of my time with my Sportster.

CDN6R

Thankyou very much Super.. I know other people who have purchased H.D. products from the Halifax dealer and there was a little wiggle room. If I would have had a bike to trade in it would have been cheaper to buy,but then they would have invested in a used motorcycle to check over and sell to try to make a profit. For them to sell a M/C straight sale with no catch so to speak I would think that they may have been a little more hospitable. Honestly,,we consumers negotiate when buying a house or a car and I do when buying a M/C but I guess H.D. does not do that. They could have had a loyal customer that would have purchased some accessories and I was willing to pay full price on the M/C if I could have had a little off a helmet/jacket. I don't think I was asking for the moon just a little appreation for being a customer. In this day of the economy in the toilet (USA) you would think a U.S. company would be glad to make a straight sale on a bike. Well enough of my rant, sorry for Hi Jacking this thread. Laurence (Laurie) Potter.

sbhoopsfan

Thanks Superzoom, that is why I am backing off the DN-01, I think I will eventually be second guessing that purchase.

I was originally after a FZ6R and that is what I am going to stay with.

I have gone outside of this forum and have done a lot of research on both bikes.

I feel as though the responses have not been overly biased. I think the responses have been fair and a lot of them are the same thoughts and feelings I am having.
I'll be honest I'm 40 now and i bought this bike because of the price, but once i got riding, man i couldn't have made a better choice.

Chucker

My deal is that I want a fun but good toy without the price of the Harley or Ducati. From everything I've heard and looked up the FZ6R seems to be it. My friend almost had me side tracked with the DN-01, but I've cleared my head and I'm back on track.

That's exactly where I was. I'm 46, and by no means NEED a bike. I haven't had one since I sold my Yamaha Vision 550 in 1987 for College money. I started out looking at older bikes and found my way to a new '09 FZ6R that was not much more than a lot of the used bikes I was looking at. I got exactly what I was looking for... a boatload of fun for a lot less than a boatload of money. Honestly, unless my wife decides she wants to tour, I can't see me getting rid of the FZ6R for a very, very long time. I couldn't ask for anything more than I got for the money I spent.

wtnotch

I find your post interesting.
I've always thought of myself as more of a cruiser type of person until I ran into this FZ6R at a show, (2011 Copper to be exact). This bike has grabbed me and it is just a matter of time before I put pencil to paper and get a FZ6R.
I went back to the dealer last night and told them no on the DN-01 and told them that I am interested in what I originally came in for and that is the FZ6R

However, because you say you have had the Fat Boy and a Ducati, bikes that I have shown some interest in. I'm interested as to why you find this bike more appealing to ride, which it must be if you are ridding it more then you did the others. Or do you just have more time now?

Ok, here goes, and this is about as subjective and biased as anything can be.

The FZ6R is really good at a lot of things, but not a standout at any one thing. The fariing is big enough to kill a lot of the blast to the body, but not so big that it feels like a tourer. The engine is powerful enough to be fun, but not overkill for the street. I used to love racing 125cc motocross bikes, so I don't mind shifting to keep the bike in the power band. To me, that's part of the fun. The FZ6R is also a good size for me and I will probably never have a passenger on the bike. Also he ergonomics on the FZ6R can't be beat, and my thrashed back and knees appreciate that.

The Ducati was great over 90mph, and would be fantastic on the race track. Below that, not so special. The FatBoy was fun cruising and listening to the engine, but the handling and brakes were, let's just say, not great. The BMW kicked butt on long rides, but was a bit too big and heavy for canyon riding and around town rides.

That's not to say that the FZ6R is perfect, but it's really a good all around bike that's fun in any situation that I plan on using it for.

Oh yeah, and don't really have more time now, I'm just riding more.

Russ

MIRIDER

Ok, here goes, and this is about as subjective and biased as anything can be.

The FZ6R is really good at a lot of things, but not a standout at any one thing. The fariing is big enough to kill a lot of the blast to the body, but not so big that it feels like a tourer. The engine is powerful enough to be fun, but not overkill for the street. I used to love racing 125cc motocross bikes, so I don't mind shifting to keep the bike in the power band. To me, that's part of the fun. The FZ6R is also a good size for me and I will probably never have a passenger on the bike. Also he ergonomics on the FZ6R can't be beat, and my thrashed back and knees appreciate that.

The Ducati was great over 90mph, and would be fantastic on the race track. Below that, not so special. The FatBoy was fun cruising and listening to the engine, but the handling and brakes were, let's just say, not great. The BMW kicked butt on long rides, but was a bit too big and heavy for canyon riding and around town rides.

That's not to say that the FZ6R is perfect, but it's really a good all around bike that's fun in any situation that I plan on using it for.

Oh yeah, and don't really have more time now, I'm just riding more.

Russ
Russ,

Great explaination.

Thank you:thumbup:

toddjcruz

I would have to agree, the FZ6R isnt great at any one thing. As sportbikes go, its as basic as it gets. There are much better bikes out there, and if I didnt want full bodywork on my bike, the FZ6 was a far better bike than the FZ6R in every way. But after driving bikes without full bodywork, washing and cleaning all that engine stuff was too much to keep doing. That's about the only reason I did it. So much easier to clean the plastic.

That being said, it's really an underpowered bike. I wait for the Fz8 with full bodywork and I'm off and running.

And although I love the zing of an inline-4, fact is, there isnt anything like riding a v-twin Hog (or a v-twin wanna-be hog). It's a totaly different thing, but that doesnt make it bad. There are days I do wish I stil had my cruiser.

Oh well.

Chucker

To each, his own.