Decision Time: Weigh In and Help Me Decide

MIRIDER

I've been shopping for FZ6R for a while now.

I have a yellow or a black 2009 FZ6R lined up for $5500.00 out the door. You all know the bike.

However, I had a friend with me and he said I should consider this other bike at the dealership that I've seen before, but always passed by because it just looks too expensive. I'm just buying a toy, I'm not buying a bike to ride a lot just on every once in a while to have fun.

This other bike is a Honda DN-01 A/K/A NSA750 its Crossover.

I think this is a bike you either like its looks or you don't. I happen to think it is kind of cool looking. Much better in person, but pretty cool on the internet as well.
Anyway this DN-01 is loaded with all sorts of technology and is a $15,500.00 bike. I can get it out the door for $8600.00. Huge savings on an awesome bike. ABS, Automatic (HFT) better components ect.....

So I thought I was set on the FZ6R, but this DN-01 is now in the mix. I'm torn.

You don't see a lot of DN-01's around and I'm guessing it's because of its MSRP.

So, FZ6R great bike no doubt at a good price.
Or the DN-01 which is a heck of a lot more bike (technology wise) at a awesome price?

I'm open to all thoughts and comments.
Thanks.

Attachments

Jet A

Funny, Just looked at this online yesterday!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAJaYjedN5Q]YouTube - Bike test: HONDA DN 01[/ame]

They Automatic Transmission really doesn't appeal to me, however they do look cool. He mentions the riding position a couple times, sounds like it might be a very comfortable ride. For riding, I don't think they compare, but I have not ridden the DN-01. Ask for a test ride!

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CDN6R

All I can say is this. If the DN-01 is dicounted that much,then it is not a very desirable bike.(poor sales)The FZ6R's here in Canada completely sold out by mid summer last year and my local dealer could not get any more to keep up with demand. There is a Honda Dealer across the street from me (Power House) and they felt very lucky to sell both their DN-01's. The DN-01's are a very unique bike and to each his own but myself I do not care for it. Being a 700 cc V-twin and the fact that the bike is heavier than a 6R,I do not think it will be as quick (accelerating) or fast (top speed) as a FZ6R. Now I did not buy my 6R to "race" on the street and compete with other "squids". I bought it because it is comfortable,decent fairing protection (The DN-01 wind screen allows air to hit you helmet far easier than the 6R),good streetable power and great on gas. Auto trans??? Not for me,,,1/2 the fun of riding for me is the complete control of the bike,that is shifting gears. I am a little biased here but give me the 6R any day over the DN-01. If you can take them both out for a ride and compare for your self.

Last edited:

CBanks2343

Unless you are 60+, I would stay away from the DN-01.....it looks like an oversized scooter to putt around on......Auto Tranny? Why would anyone want a bike with an auto tranny? Isn't shifting gears and being able to control it part of the fun? Also, you said you were not looking for something to ride all the time, so why spend the extra $3,100+ on something that you will more than likely be dissapointed in your purchase of???

That is just my .02

Sage

I somewhat like the look, but it's an auto-tranny. And as you said you are looking for a toy to have fun with, so spend less money on the fz6r and use that extra cash customize it to make it your own imho..

nucmedman63

fz6r if looking for fun

Automatic trnsmission:mad: if your looking for a toy there's nothing like going through the gear on the fz

MIRIDER

All I can say is this. If the DN-01 is dicounted that much,then it is not a very desirable bike.(poor sales).
Bingo.
This is bothering me a lot.
There are a ton of new 2009 DN-01 up for sale right now from dealers at 8600 to 9300. Which says to me that no one liked these things and I'd never be able to resell it if I wanted to. I'd have to give it away. Or they are just way over priced at $15500.00.

Leslie0568

Now I did not buy my 6R to "race" on the street and compete with other "squids". I bought it because it is comfortable,decent fairing protection (The DN-01 wind screen allows air to hit you helmet far easier than the 6R),good streetable power and great on gas. Auto trans??? Not for me,,,1/2 the fun of riding for me is the complete control of the bike,that is shifting gears. I am a little biased here but give me the 6R any day over the DN-01. If you can take them both out for a ride and compare for your self.
Totally agree. Automatic transmission isn't fun in a car or especially on a bike. Don't look at the 'great deal'. Think about it.. you have to spend more money to get a great deal. In the end you're just spending more money.

Ride them both... you might be blown away by the DN-01 and want to spend the extra.

FZ6R-HWD

I think your going about this all wrong.

Hi,
I believe that you need to go back and reassess your reason for buying in the first place. You mentioned buying a bike that you would ride occasionally. The two bikes your looking at are completely different. I own two bikes. The FZ6R and a 2009 Road King. For the record, I am 46 and ride a LOT. I am currently going to take the FZ to Daytona and will be on the bike from morning to nite three days straight. I can assure you it is comfortable to ride all day and easy to live with. If you need on bike storage, do what I did, add bags. You can add soft or even GIVI hard bags and make it a 600CC sport tour.

I say if you’re going to spend 15K or 10K then start looking at other bikes. Maybe even a Kawi Concors 14. If you looking to save money you can't go wrong buying the FZ. Cheap, runs great, easy to ride, comfortable and you can adapt it if needed. Yea, it's considered a starter bike but it will serve you will. I am old enough to not buy into the whole "starter bike - girly bike BS" I can easily afford any mass produced bike on the market. I choose to ride the FZ when I want a more sporting ride that can be driven all day in comfort. Cheap to by is simply the icing on the cake. Buy it, ignore the rhetoric and I believe your going to be happy.

Ed

herbie

I've been shopping for FZ6R for a while now.

I have a yellow or a black 2009 FZ6R lined up for $5500.00 out the door. You all know the bike.

However, I had a friend with me and he said I should consider this other bike at the dealership that I've seen before, but always passed by because it just looks too expensive. I'm just buying a toy, I'm not buying a bike to ride a lot just on every once in a while to have fun.

This other bike is a Honda DN-01 A/K/A NSA750 its Crossover.

I think this is a bike you either like its looks or you don't. I happen to think it is kind of cool looking. Much better in person, but pretty cool on the internet as well.
Anyway this DN-01 is loaded with all sorts of technology and is a $15,500.00 bike. I can get it out the door for $8600.00. Huge savings on an awesome bike. ABS, Automatic (HFT) better components ect.....

So I thought I was set on the FZ6R, but this DN-01 is now in the mix. I'm torn.

You don't see a lot of DN-01's around and I'm guessing it's because of its MSRP.

So, FZ6R great bike no doubt at a good price.
Or the DN-01 which is a heck of a lot more bike (technology wise) at a awesome price?

I'm open to all thoughts and comments.
Thanks.
What does you gut really tell you

J.J.

Before I bought my FZ6R I looked at every possible bike. When I was at my Honda/Suzuki dealer the sales guy showed me something that looked like that. I sat on the thing at said no way.
Even if I won that in a contest, it would get sold, no questions asked.
FZ6-R was the best deal out of all the bikes I tried & it wasn't like my first choice. I am glad I ended up with it.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

If you're just getting a bike for fun, and you're not going to ride much, insurance cost needs to be a factor as well, unless you're loaded. For me, the insurance on the DN-01 would be twice as much. I only ride for fun, and I couldn't justify spending $100/month on insurance for the occasional ride.

BDazzler

The Honda DN-01 was intended to be a concept bike. I'm not sure how or why it got pushed through to production, but that's where the big price tag comes from. I have never ridden an DN-01, but I have seen several in showrooms and sat on them. They sit much like a cruiser with very forward floorboards and raked back handlebars.

I am biased. I ride a 2007 Yamaha FZ1 and enjoy the sportiness. I'm sure the FZ6R will have more power, acceleration and way better handling. If your looking for a sporty ride, the FZ6R or the Kawasaki Ninja 650R (if you prefer a parallel twin to an I-4) are the way to go to get comfort and sporty rides.

If your looking for a cruiser/scooter type ride (nothing wrong with that) that will have a bit more comfort and very easy to use (no shifting, combined ABS braking, etc) then, if you like the looks and can afford the extra money, go for it. Even though it is automatic, the DN-01 does have a 'sport' setting that will allow the RPM's to build up a bit more before shifting for better acceleration (poorer gas mileage) and it does offer the option to 'select shift' with push buttons, simular to many modern cars (+ for up a gear, - for down a gear).

Due to the low, forward floorboards on the DN-01, ground clearance is at a minimum. I have seen video reviews that complained that cornering is awful due to so much scraping of the floorboards.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvZuKe7eMSE]YouTube - Review of the Honda DN-01[/ame]

A knock against buying the DN-01 might be a difficult resell later on. One other thing to consider if keeping the DN-01 long term is availability of parts if it doesn't do well and disappears (which it might).

Here's a video that show a point of view ride and explains the auto drive, sport and select shift settings.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbf19NgIks8"]YouTube - Honda DN- 01 2009 1K FSH HPI clear £1 Start DN 01[/ame]

Then there's this owner who loves it. If the looks and ease grab you, there's nothing else like it.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdTNWOMtbDc]YouTube - Honda DN-01 Review Part I[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_i06AVPtBM]YouTube - Honda DN 01 Review Part II[/ame]

As mentioned by others, if your considering dropping over $8000, you can pick up many different bikes for that price, including an older hold over FZ1, or maybe even a new 2011 FZ8 (if you like the naked look) ;) I'm personally not a fan of the looks and I'm almost offended an automatic motorcycle exists, but that shouldn't matter to you, nor do I want it to. There are plenty more videos of the DN-01 on youtube and even more of the FZ6R.

Good luck with your decision. If you can't figure it out just looking and talking, insist on test rides of both bikes! PS, I'm putting in a vote for the yellow 09 FZ6R!

Last edited:

Brock Kickass

Just my opinion, but I hate the DN-01. It seems to be something you buy when you're too old to ride a motorcycle.
It is a very interesting looking bike. I don't mind the look of it at all, but I can't get my head around what is essentially a well-styled giant scooter.
Looking at it, I can't imagine the handling would be in any way thrilling. It is too long and low, with the posture too far back. Looks like something you more sit on than actually ride.
I have never been on one, and don't know anyone who has, so this is only my un-educated opinion, based mostly on looks. (C'mon, though. An automatic?)

e.blackadder

Appeal of the bike aside, please also consider the maintenance. For example the valve check on FZ6R is to be done every 26k miles. Hondas don't usually go over 8k and some of them come with ridiculously small tanks.

Hondas are innovative in their peculiar way. They come up bikes with stability gizmos, fly-by-wire and AT, but they just can't say no to drum brakes, shaft drives and obviously plastic chrome.

My 2 cents.