Decision Time: Weigh In and Help Me Decide

MIRIDER

If you're just getting a bike for fun, and you're not going to ride much, insurance cost needs to be a factor as well, unless you're loaded. For me, the insurance on the DN-01 would be twice as much. I only ride for fun, and I couldn't justify spending $100/month on insurance for the occasional ride.
For the Honda $454.00 for one year.

For the Yamaha $480 for one year.

Either way not too expensive, IMHO. I carry a hell of a lot of coverage on my all my insurance plans. Sounds decent to me. So insurance cost isn't going to scare me away.

Chucker

Either way not too expensive, IMHO. I carry a hell of a lot of coverage on my all my insurance plans. Sounds decent to me. So insurance cost isn't going to scare me away.
My mistake. I was so disinterested in it, I assumed the DN-01 was a litre. At 680cc, the insurance would have been the same for me as the FZ6R.

24KMACH

I paid $525 for full insurance on the FZ6R. I'm 67 and could afford anything out there and pay for it cash. The FZ6R was buiilt for me I think.:D I bought it a few days ago without even riding one. My three rides I have taken lately have told me "Money well spent" I belong to a ventage bike club and in 2004 desided to sell all my old bikes and give it up. I still went to the meetings and felt "I need a bike" After looking at everyone made in all brands the FZ6R was the winner. I love it. Did I say I'm 67? :D

CDN6R

24KMACH::: I am not that far behind you,,I am 54 and have had lots of sport bikes in my past and the 6R is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Love it too.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Hellgate

The Honda is ghay...buy the Yamaha.

sammy56

Get one of these:

sammy56

Or this perhaps:

Attachments

anson650

Do you want to ride a scooter or a motorcycle? And it is a scooter without all the storage, and too many gimmicks. One of the things I like about the FZ6R (2010 Black with gold wheels) is that is a simple basic machine. I think the question you need to answer for yourself is, What do I want to do with it?
Good luck,
Anson
Michigan? I lived in Rudyard when I was stationed at Kincheloe AFB.

MIRIDER

I paid $525 for full insurance on the FZ6R. I'm 67 and could afford anything out there and pay for it cash. The FZ6R was buiilt for me I think.:D I bought it a few days ago without even riding one. My three rides I have taken lately have told me "Money well spent" I belong to a ventage bike club and in 2004 desided to sell all my old bikes and give it up. I still went to the meetings and felt "I need a bike" After looking at everyone made in all brands the FZ6R was the winner. I love it. Did I say I'm 67? :D
Nice, you and 24KMach are good to hear from. I'm 44 and wonder how much longer I would want to be on a FZ6R. Hearing from you two lets me know I have a ways to go.
Thank you.

Everyone is throwing me some good input. Even the comments saying "the Honda is ghey." Yeah, yeah, funny, but I wanted real responses and I respect them.
I like the looks of the DN-01, but I like the more aggressive sportier look of the FZ6R better. The DN-01 feels great to sit on and is more comfortable then the FZ6R. But I'm not going to be riding for hours on end. FZ6R is comfortable, just not as much.
I think I would end up questioning my purchase if I pick the DN-01, where I don't think I would have any second guesses on the FZ6R except for color, the 2009 Yellow, or the 2010 Raven and Gold or the 2011 Copper. I really like the Copper that is what turned me onto this bike at a Motorcycle show recently. Then the more I learned of it the more I wanted it.
I must say the only reason this DN-01 jumped into the mix is because a friend saw the huge rebate on it and I was able to talk may way into more savings on the bike and he was going crazy over the deal.
I think maybe he should take the great deal on the DN-01 and I should stick with what I orignially went into the shop to buy the FZ6R.

I'm still open to comments I haven't bought yet, but you guys and gals are helping me see my way clear.

Superzoom

Nice, you and 24KMach are good to hear from. I'm 44 and wonder how much longer I would want to be on a FZ6R. Hearing from you two lets me know I have a ways to go.
Thank you.

Everyone is throwing me some good input. Even the comments saying "the Honda is ghey." Yeah, yeah, funny, but I wanted real responses and I respect them.
I like the looks of the DN-01, but I like the more aggressive sportier look of the FZ6R better. The DN-01 feels great to sit on and is more comfortable then the FZ6R. But I'm not going to be riding for hours on end. FZ6R is comfortable, just not as much.
I think I would end up questioning my purchase if I pick the DN-01, where I don't think I would have any second guesses on the FZ6R except for color, the 2009 Yellow, or the 2010 Raven and Gold or the 2011 Copper. I really like the Copper that is what turned me onto this bike at a Motorcycle show recently. Then the more I learned of it the more I wanted it.
I must say the only reason this DN-01 jumped into the mix is because a friend saw the huge rebate on it and I was able to talk may way into more savings on the bike and he was going crazy over the deal.
I think maybe he should take the great deal on the DN-01 and I should stick with what I orignially went into the shop to buy the FZ6R.

I'm still open to comments I haven't bought yet, but you guys and gals are helping me see my way clear.
Hi Mirider,

A couple thoughts...

First off, since you're not buying the bike for purely practical reasons, you should buy the bike that excites you the most, moves you, gets your blood pumping, appeals to you in subjective terms. If you're getting the bike for fun, get the bike that seems the most fun and truly appeals to you. Don't get the bike that seems like the better value. You'll regret every one of those dollars you supposedly saved.

Secondly, you should really read a bunch of reviews on the DN-01 and check out a DN-01 forum (if those exist). You're on an FZ6R site here and of course you're going to get a biased opinion. I too love my FZ6R. It's a great bike. But if you're serious about the DN-01 read more about it from people who know. Who knows? It might be the most fun on two wheels? Lots of people love scooters. Maybe it's the best of both worlds (scooters/motorcycles). Maybe it's the worst.

Finally, here are my objective/subjective reasons for not wanting a DN-01 at any price:

- too Ugly. U.G.L.Y.
- shifting is fun
- you will feel obligated to explain your odd choice of bike to everyone you meet (although it could be argued that it's good to have a bike that gets attention and starts conversations)

Good luck with your choice!

Last edited:

MIRIDER

Thanks Superzoom, that is why I am backing off the DN-01, I think I will eventually be second guessing that purchase.

I was originally after a FZ6R and that is what I am going to stay with.

I have gone outside of this forum and have done a lot of research on both bikes.

I feel as though the responses have not been overly biased. I think the responses have been fair and a lot of them are the same thoughts and feelings I am having.

CDN6R

MIRIDER::: I am 54 years young and I bought my FZ6R last May(2010) as a new left over 2009(yellow). I have had Super Sport MC's in the past with the last one,before the 6R ,15 years ago (GSXR 750). So I am about 10 years older than you and I find my 6R just right for me. However that does not mean that my eyes do not stray,so to speak. In fact my local dealer that I bought my 6R from,last monthg got in a new 2010 GSXR 600 (White/blue) that is discounted $2500 until the end of this month and offered me a smokin deal on the new Gixxer. Decisions,decisions.... but I think for my old busted up body (Factory worker,retired) I will stay with the 6R.(mind you that may change by the end of the month!;)) As was suggested seek out the DN-01 forum and read up what other say about that bike. Good luck in your choice. Laurence (Laurie) Potter Canada.

Chucker

From Ash on Bikes......

Honda in DN-01 Sale Shock!

The motorcycle world was rocked recently by news that Honda has sold a DN-01! According to sources, who also claim to have seen a DN-01 outside a motorcycle show, Honda hasn't even secretly registered it as a demonstrator or added it to its press fleet of 50 DN-01s, but a man really bought it of his own free will.

The man, who is married to a woman, claims to have chosen the DN-01 because he looks good on it, but then Ashonbikes' own sources know that when the man once had 10 Gold Leaf cigarettes stolen from a coat he'd left hanging up, he took the empty packet back to the corner shop to complain. Obviously he's a few cogs short of a full gearbox, which probably explains his choice.

Even though he wasn't asked, the man said: 'The DN-01 is perfect for my sorts of journeys as it includes heavy traffic, dual carriageways and the odd stretch of motorway.' Stretches of motorway which will look a lot odder with a DN-01 on them...

A spokesman for the Honda dealer which sold the man the DN-01 said. 'We saw him coming.'

Chucker

toddjcruz

Nothing wrong with that bike. I rode it and liked it. Nothing wrong with an auto as well. It's all about what you want, simple as that.

The Honda is a cruiser, made to look like a sport bike. It's got some nice features as well. It sits just like a cruser, but its far more agile and sporty than my V-Star 1100 I had. I enjoyed riding it with that sort of bike in mind. It was peppy, handled well compared to my cruiser. If I was going to commute all the time, the auto would be nice to have, as one of the main reasons I don't ride my bike to work, it's freeway all the way there, and stop and go most of the time. That's just not any fun playing the slinky game so I don't have to work the clutch the whole time.

Now, if you don't have thoes issues and would rather be hitting the curves and enjoying the handling and inline-4 engine, then Fz6R is for you (if you want cheap).

A used ST1300 or FJR1300 is a good true sport-tour bike, or wait for the FZ8 if the FZ6R is just too weak. My FZ6R, it's a light weight for sure, not ultra fast, not ultra comfortable, but I loved the looks and it was a great low cost option that met my needs.

Bike are what they are, desined to appeal to so many different needs. They are like cell phones, tons of phone all doing the same thing. Some with big screens some with keyboard. Each designed for a different person in mind.

The true question isnt what bike is best, the questions will always be: What bike person am I?

Answer that, and then you will find your bike.

Last edited:

wtnotch

You're not alone. When I ride the FZ6R, it just makes me smile. It does just about everything well that I want it to. I'm probably not going to take it to the track, and I'm not going on any 1500 mile trips. I'm 62, and in pretty much the same position. My last 3 bikes were a Ducati S4RS Monster, a custom Harley FatBoy and a BMW R1100RT. I've already ridden the FZ6R more miles that any of those in the same time period.