Dealer says to buy 2 new tires.

rober04d

The other day I walked by my bike in the garage and happened to notice my back tire was flat. I found about a 3" screw stuck in it. So I call the dealership to see if they have any in stock. The dealership tells me I need to buy a new front tire also because it will not handle right if both tires arnt matched with the same type and wear. The bike and tires are only about 2 months old. Is this just the dealership trying to sell more tires or does he really have a point?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Ya, most people go through 2 rears before a front anyway... Depending on the type of riding you do of course.

As long as its the same tire should be fine.

Spunky99

If you have under 5000 miles on the bike, replace the rear tire only with a stock tire. Leave the front tire alone.
If you upgrade the rear tire, you should match the front tire too.
It depends on what kind of riding you do as far as mileage and the front tire replacement. You could probably go 10K to 15K and maybe more and just replace the rear tire depending on the type of riding you do.

That dealer want's another tire sale and labor in his pocket. I'm surprised he didn't try to soak you for new rims and brakes and rotors too. New bearings and lots of other crap you don't need.