Custom Exhaust

Y

yellowfz

Some Pics of exhaust :
Last pic was of the slag left on the original down pipes , this was on there when it was assembled at the factory .
Oh , the heat is gone , no more radiating heat from the CAT , yeah .
After riding it seems the bike has gotten richer and does it ever respond well to throttle roll now (WFO) .:)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yellowfz

Noise for your enjoyment :
YouTube - 1linuxfreak's Channel
This is before final touch up paint , but sound is the same .
Will do another vid tomorrow , all I have is cell phone for videos (Motorola Droid) .

Last edited by a moderator:

gizmogirl

Re-think the "richer" statement...

Whether we are talking about our FZ6R or a Mustang Super Cobra....If you open up your exhaust your motor will run leaner. :eek: This has been covered in countless threads on countless sites. Your only issue is HOW LEAN will your mod cause the engine to run and will you cause any piston damage.

The analogy used is that an engine is an air pump and when you mod either the 'air in', the 'air out' or the fuel, the other 'factors ' must be modded as well to accomplish your goal. To forget or ignore the above may cause issues you do not want.:surrender:

FYI.:thumbup:

Y

yellowfz

Whether we are talking about our FZ6R or a Mustang Super Cobra....If you open up your exhaust your motor will run leaner. :eek: This has been covered in countless threads on countless sites. Your only issue is HOW LEAN will your mod cause the engine to run and will you cause any piston damage.

The analogy used is that an engine is an air pump and when you mod either the 'air in', the 'air out' or the fuel, the other 'factors ' must be modded as well to accomplish your goal. To forget or ignore the above may cause issues you do not want.:surrender:

FYI.:thumbup:
I am sorry that comment is not worth a retort .
Show me the post where the results from a wide-band show the rise in AFR and how much of a rise , please , PROOF ! :surrender:
Words without proof , just nonsense .

gizmogirl

Do not be rude with your comments...

If you add more air either through an intake mod or an exhaust mod to a fuel situation that remains unchanged, how could it be richer??
GO to any diesel site, hot rod site or what ever, and the result will be the same. Your motor will run leaner as a pre-determined fuel outlet will be mixed with more air therefore a leaner condition now exists. How lean will be determined by fuel MAP analysis or EGT's, your choice.
You cannot be "richer" without adding more fuel to your equation. Simple physics, mate! All you have succeeded in doing is adding additional air flow, that will be optimized when you add more fuel.
These comments were not written to threaten your existance but to warn you about the potential of damaging your motor.

Read the following from another Yamaha site....

ATTN: Anyone w/ exhaust and no fuel management
I got my black HoleShot slip-ons installed this week on my '09 FJR. Performance/engine wise, the bike is otherwise stock.

I noticed that at idle, the RPM's fluctuate a tiny bit. Maybe 100-200 rpm at most, but the needle moves a bit and you can hear it.

My indy shop says it's a lean condition made noticeable by the new slip-ons. Otherwise, the bike runs great. I haven't noticed any popping on decel yet.

My question is twofold... 1. Does your idle fluctuate a bit, and 2. Can this hurt the bike at all in the long term?

I could get a PCV and a custom map made on the dyno, but it's an expense that I don't really think I need. I like my fuel mileage, I like the power it makes, and the smoothness or vibration reduction that some folks seek with a fuel processor really isn't a concern for me at this point.

This was only an attempt to help......

JSP

Super Moderator
I am sorry that comment is not worth a retort .
Show me the post where the results from a wide-band show the rise in AFR and how much of a rise , please , PROOF ! :surrender:
Words without proof , just nonsense .
You WILL be lean and you WILL need a controller such as a Power Commander. Hardly nonsense. Please research before you start calling someone nonsense. If you remove your cat, and open the exhaust up that is just the way it is. Look up how an engine works and how important the exhaust is in keeping the AFR!

Read:
Motorcycle Fuel Injection Handbook - Google Books

Dynojet Power Commander Frequent

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

jcbrown630

Some Pics of exhaust :
Last pic was of the slag left on the original down pipes , this was on there when it was assembled at the factory .
Oh , the heat is gone , no more radiating heat from the CAT , yeah .
After riding it seems the bike has gotten richer and does it ever respond well to throttle roll now (WFO) .:)
Told ya that bastard was hot!.

BL6RNKY

i dont understand what a power commander is needed for, our bikes are fuel injected, using a premade computer made fuel map, it does not change, our bikes have no 02 sensor so why would changes in the exhaust affect the fuel intake? it should be the same as stock but with less back pressure, some people say it hurts and/or helps, i just want the logic on why a PC affects the bike? even a PC wouldnt change backpressure, so Im not understanding....

JSP

Super Moderator
When you change the system from its premade map... you change whats happening in there. You are now getting more air into the system but not pumping any more fuel in to compensate for it. More air with not more fuel = running lean most likely.

A power commander will calibrate your system to compensate for more air by adding more fuel. More complicated stuff than that as well, but thats the basics of it.

Its very simple stuff when it comes to engines. More air means you need more fuel. More fuel means you need more air or you will be rich. (not $$ speaking)

So you are right it will be the same as stock, fuel wise. But not air wise, because you changed the system. It needs more fuel now. Its just the way it is :D

BL6RNKY

I understand that, but how is the bike getting more air? its getting rid of more air but not inducing anymore,havent changed the intake system, just the exhaust, it should be getting the same amount of air and fuel as stock, but its releasing more exhaust than stock meaning less back pressure and thats the only thing that has changed, so how can a PC or Juice Box help the backpressure? it cant from my knowledge, it may change the map settings improving air and fuel consumption but it can in no way help or change backpressure

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

BL6RNKY

now that makes sense, thanks, that was the kind of explanation i was looking for, i was taught in vocational school 4 cycle or 4 stroke engines go as follows: Suck:Squeeze:Bang:Blow and i understand how cam overlap exists in a 4 cyclinder sportbike engine, thanks for the info and explanation of how it works, i didnt mean to be stupid but didnt understand the logic of it, thanks to all

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

wykon

The whole process is a bit more complicated then air in / air out. Less back pressure mean you have a better ventury effect at hight rpm. It mean the exhaust going out help initially sucking fresh air in ( call cam overlap when both intake and exhaust valves are open) So that said, less back pressure, more air out, more air in, need more fuel because some of it get wasted in the exhaust, more power and less fuel economy.
With a more efficient and better flowing system, shouldn't you also get more fuel economy, as long as you don't hammer on it?