Cruiser to sport bike

CAIN69TK9

Hello, been lurking for a while now.

Quick back story. Started riding two years ago, did the MSF course and started out on a sportster. Rode that until I couldn't take it anymore and been riding a Fatbob for the last year. Still miss the sportster (48). Anyway.....

The Fatbob is perfect for me and my wife 2 up. I have no intentions of getting rid of it. I do want to get into a sport bike for solo riding, occasional 2 up - she is not very excited about having her butt hiked up in the air on the sport bike.

So, I have been doing tons of research and got three bikes in mind. The FZ6R, Ninja 650 and the Honda CBR500R. Buying new.

I don't like the clam shell riding position, but is ok for a hour or two on our short cruises. That's the main reason I am looking into a sport bike, not super sport though. I'm pushing 40, not interested in tricks or wheeles. However, interstate speeds around here can be 90mph to stay with the flow. Most of my riding is 75 mph plus in light traffic. Mainly a commute but these people drive so fast around here I got to be able to keep up.

I think I should consider myself a new rider when looking at these bikes. Honestly the 500 would fit the bill but for the money I have to consider the 6r and ninja. Plenty of room to grow into the 650 I would think? Just don't want to trade in next year for a bigger bike.

I am going to check them out Saturday and a test ride if possible but not buying until April. So plenty of time to decide.

So help me make a educated decision between the three bikes?

Thanks

lytehouse

Super Moderator
Well I can't offer you much help in deciding between the 3 bikes, I can offer a
:welcome: aboard!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

RoadTrip

Warning! Cruiser guys who get sport bikes often lose their passion for cruisers! You gonna love the handling and spinning up the motor. The FZ6R is the way to go since it has I-4 engine, best sport bike of those 3 for sure.

latony007

You sound exactly like me from your age to starting on a cruiser and having your wife on the back and her not wanting on a sport bike, to no supersport because of the ergos. Except no Harleys for me lol. In fact im selling my cruiser now (suzuki c50) because my brother has a spyder and got me hooked on it so i got a used one recently for my two up riding with the wife or kid, and then use the 6R when i am by myself. Get the 6R. I looked at all the same bikes you are, my brother has a ninja and its a nice bike but not nearly as smooth as the inline 4 of the 6R. If you like naked there are a couple other options like the gladius or the fz09 but if you want faired the 6R is the bike for you. Let us know how it goes.

anson650

In 2009 MCN picked the FZ6R over the Ninja 650. Since then the 650 has been upgraded and MCN went nuts over it. However MCN gives the FZ6R FIVE dots, that's like five stars. Not many bikes get that. I've ridden both and I prefer the FZ6R. Isn't the 500 Honda a 270 degree vertical twin? I think it is and if so it will feel like a V twin, and under powered compared to the other two. I think you'll enjoy the FZ. It's comfortable and has a upright riding position. It looks like a sport bike with out the racer crunch. If your wife doesn't like the seat Corbin makes an excellent replacement.
Good luck with your test rides. Keep us in the loop.
Welcome to the forum, btw.
Anson

pkoko

I would give the FZ-09 & FJ-09 a look. I would also consider any sport touring bike if your budget can handle it.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

CAIN69TK9

Sorry everybody, got tied up with work.

Didn't make it to check out the bikes and looks like another 4 days of snow and ice. Go figure.

Thanks for all the replys, think I have already made up my mind just got to go sit on the bikes. Think the 6r is it though.

Any comparison between upkeep on the bikes? Not which is cheaper to maintain but which has the edge on wear and longevity?

Thanks again..........

latony007

Sorry everybody, got tied up with work.

Didn't make it to check out the bikes and looks like another 4 days of snow and ice. Go figure.

Thanks for all the replys, think I have already made up my mind just got to go sit on the bikes. Think the 6r is it though.

Any comparison between upkeep on the bikes? Not which is cheaper to maintain but which has the edge on wear and longevity?

Thanks again..........
On longevity i dont think you can go wrong with any of them. I would definitaly not get the Honda 500 though. 6R is the better choice, kawi after that.

pkoko

In terms of longevity... if you do the maintenance... Any bike from the big 4 will last 100+k miles.

Rollo1886

Fz6r

I would recomend going with the FZ6r. I came to yamaha from a Harley as well, and I must say that I am pleased. I have been riding for almost 6 years, and the FZ6r has plenty of power for me. I would stay away from the 500r though. I had the displeasure of test riding one, and you are sure to grow out of it very quickly. The only thing "sporty" about the bike are the looks. Go with the Yamaha, you won't be disappointed.

Nmexico

The Honda CBR500R will offer ridiculous good gas mileage. I had one and it got me 60-70 mpg easy. It will not offer much thrills at all. Mild everything at what it does with a motor that I think feels even more electric feeling than the FZ6R. Many on the 500r forums had to get a aftermarket exhaust to get some soul in the sound. The FZ's exhaust is just perfect and sexy sounding stock to me, you hear that spinning sound of the 4 banger and its so sweet.

The Ninja 650 was too harsh for me to ride for hours and hours on the weekend. I ended up cutting ties with it early. I traded her in with only 1300 miles on it for the FZ and don't regret a thing.

Fizzer6R

My advice would be to buy used, not new. That way you won't take the $ hit as much if/when you sell/trade.

Get the bike that stirs your soul the most.

I have a cruiser also, and suggest when you finally have both, make sure if you ever ride them back to back same day, you ride the cruiser 1st then the sport bike, not the other way around. I've done it a couple times and always end up misjudging the power/handling/braking of the cruiser that does not react as quickly as a sport bike, and that can get you into trouble in traffic or just general riding if you're not careful.

It is nice being able to choose either depending on your personality of the day :cool:

latony007

My advice would be to buy used, not new. That way you won't take the $ hit as much if/when you sell/trade.

Get the bike that stirs your soul the most.

I have a cruiser also, and suggest when you finally have both, make sure if you ever ride them back to back same day, you ride the cruiser 1st then the sport bike, not the other way around. I've done it a couple times and always end up misjudging the power/handling/braking of the cruiser that does not react as quickly as a sport bike, and that can get you into trouble in traffic or just general riding if you're not careful.

It is nice being able to choose either depending on your personality of the day :cool:
I currently have a cruiser, the fz6r and now a can am spyder and they all ride and react differently and switching between them does take some paying attention i will agree on that. I rarely ride them both or all in the same day though.

yellolab

I rode Harleys most of my life, then last summer my son bought a CBR250, which I drove....and loved it(just not enough power of course).
From there I bought a 1993 CBR600F2, with 30K miles. Mostly as I test before I took the plunge for a more expensive bike.....and I loved it, just wanted something newer with less crouch.
Found this site Motorcycle Ergonomics
Which allows you to compare crouch/lean etc,.

Last month I ended up buying a leftover(new) 2013 FZ6R for $5100- which I am thrilled with.

My advise, especially for a second bike, is to pick up a leftover like I did. Of course my opinion is biased:)