Crappy gas at BP!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Sage

BP gas is what f*cked my injectors on my Mini, got them all replaced and have used Shell premium and no more problems for the last 12000 miles.. BP is crap.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

behindXgrnXeyes

I also like Chevon/Texaco, even shell.....never a problem either

REFUSE BP, for various reasons as well as bad experience

Marthy, any opinions on the 7 eleven gas stations in the area? I sometimes fill up there, its a good amount cheaper at times...

Spunky99

After the gulf spill and all the damage BP did without cleaning it up or compensating anyone properly. I'll never buy BP again.

MikeN02

Was it a single fuel dispenser thingy or were there 3? I've heard of how you really don't get the premium fuel if it's a single because it still has regular running through it.

Detrich

Sorry to hear that Marty :(

The quality of gas at each station is dependent on how well the station is run. Notsomuch the brand. Crappy gas usually = crappy gas station

That said BP does sucks ass and what they did to the gulf is unforgivable too

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

behindXgrnXeyes

Why are you getting the higher Gas...i know most sport bikes take it (and its better to) but I heard our bikes are at the lower end of that spectrum and Regular is just fine, if anything better to give it reg then the next one up

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Stephenfz6r

I gas at that station before and it was alright. I will be more picky as where I fuel from now on! Chevron, Mobile and Shell. Sunoco is my favorite. They use to have 94 and few of them still sale race fuel 98...

I probably suck the bottom of the barrel. Every single tank has water in it, doesn't matter where you go. The good station keep the tank to a certain minimum so you never get to the water part (Fuel is heavier... so water on top) But the getto gas station... well hit or miss I guess ;(
Generally large tanks at gas stations suck from a suspended pipe as to not pick up the water that forms at the bottom of the tank. Water is heavier than fuel. Water density is 1 while fuel is around .76. The best way to rectify this problem is to let the bike sit and drain the tank off from the bottom and then it should run fine.:iconbeer:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Deanohh

Why are you getting the higher Gas...i know most sport bikes take it (and its better to) but I heard our bikes are at the lower end of that spectrum and Regular is just fine, if anything better to give it reg then the next one up
Most people don't believe this but the difference between reg gas and higher octane is that higher octane has additives that slow down or resist burning so that high compression engines don't pre-ignite or ping or knock. The higher octane does not burn with more energy or make more power or is better for and engine if the engine is designed for and does not knock with regular gas. The reg gas around here meets the octane recommendations for the FZ6 so I run regular and there is no ping, knock etc. Why would I waste money on premium gas when that premium is diluted with more additives to be slower burning than the reg. Seems like my performance is going to be at least the same if not better with the regular.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Jaralaccs

:rant:
The 'save money by not using premium gas' psychosis is just irritating.

reg. $3/gal
premium is $3.3/gal

reg in 5 gallons = $15
prem in 5 gallons = $16.5

don't spend that dollar-fifty all in one place!

12.2:1 compression ratio (what our engines have) is pretty high. an entra dollar is cheap insurance to avoiding long term damage from pre-ignition.
I know what the owner's manual says, but who's to say anyone will actually be able to hear it pinging, over the sound of your exhaust/wind/traffic. Even if you do, you're stuck with a pinging motor until you can find the nearest gas station. It just seems silly not to, but that's just my opinininiononin. /end rant