Cost for first service

arkkornkid

usually costs me about 60 bucks per oil change and I do the labor myself.
1 gallon amsoil, $45
1 K&N oil filter, $14
even with shipping charges, 1 gallon should be less than $40. Have you checked into becoming a preferred customer? ...it's $20 a year, but if you're like me it'll pay for itself with the first order.

*edit* my bad.... just saw you're in Alaska, so I imagine it does cost a bit more there.

Last edited:

arkkornkid

Basically paid for an hour and 1/2 of labor for a damn oil change. Came out to about $130 bucks. It's funny because the guys called me back and said it was ready in less than an hour and 1/2, so who knows. My next 4k mile srevice is going to cost me about $200. Probably for another oil change.
I just did my second oil change at 2k miles, and it needed it so I'd recommend doing it before you get to 4k. It's easier to do on this bike than it is on any car, so don't feel intimidated to DIY.

Roaddawg

Those of you that don't know how to change your oil should really learn how and save all that money your throwing away to the dealer, really. It is so easy, even a caveman could do it.:) It takes me less than 10 minutes to change my oil now. You don't even need to remove the fairing. Just remove the one fairing bolt on the very bottom right and pull it out of the way slightly to get to the filter. The filter should only be tightened a 1/4 turn after hand tightening, no more. After you get the factory one that seems to be glued on there, it will be easier to take off next time. Use the How-to thread below to help you:

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/fz6r-oil-change-how-15839/

Also, I just switched to the Rotella 15W-40 Heavy duty FULLY synthetic oil, which you can buy a gallon (4 qts only using 3 qts) for under $20 at Walmart. The bike shifted sooooo buttery smooth today, definitely the oil to use by far. :thumbup: So, with the Purolator oil filters (arguably the best) I got for under $5 a piece (you can pay $10 more for K&N to have the nut...but that's three Purolators!) and the oil, it cost me under $20 for an oil change using some top grade oil and filter. That leaves me more money for other things.

OIL: http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/rotella-t-18720/

FILTERS: http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/oil-filter-17743/

Stephenfz6r

Cost of first service

I did mine myself as the dealer could not accommodate my schedule. I bought Yamalube synthetic oil and a filter and it cost me $80 with tax.

NYGirl

$260.25 for first service.. ouch.

Spunky99

$260.25 for first service.. ouch.
They wanted $275.00 in Los Angeles.
I bought Motul 10-40, K&N filter, a vacum gauges and chain lube and did the whole service myself for under $100.00.

Investing in a good torque wrench, socket set and reading the service manual will save you lots of $$ and make sure the bike is maintained better than the dealer can do.

Detrich

yah, mine was around $270 or so too, as i recall at Pasadena Yamaha. a bit expensive, but they are a good, family-run shop. really nice ppl there...

Spunky99

yah, mine was around $270 or so too, as i recall at Pasadena Yamaha. a bit expensive, but they are a good, family-run shop. really nice ppl there...
Dude.....you need to invest in some tools.....Go to Big Lots and start cheap.

I believe in family run businesses but I also believe in letting other people support them. I've been doing my own bike maintenance for 42 years and trust no one with my life but myself.

Insure Gal

Mine's goin in for first service tomorrow. (1650 KL on her now and a little more when hubs brings her back tonight :D) .. simply cause it is just that THE FIRST SERVICE. Want to make sure all of the shavings and crap are out of her.

After that hubs can swing his wrenches on it all he likes ;).

I kinda didn't get sucha warm fuzzy when I called the dealer today and the service dude was like
"Oh see we are not taking appointments for service right now. It's first come first served. Just drop your bike off and we'll have it back to you in a few days.":jawdrop::banghead::banghead: WTF?

Not good enough!!!

I ended up calling my Sales Manager and asked if I would void the warranty if I brought it to someone else... (ie small local bike guru who is actual a track trained mechanic....knows sportbikes inside out:thumbup:)

SM assured me that I CAN infact make an appointment for tomorrow AM and he said he will personally make sure my bike is ready by closing.

I'll give them one chance and if they don't make me happy then off to Bike Guru I go (on stuff that hubs can't do, which won't be much cause hubs can put the perverbial a## in a cat. if ya know what I mean! ;) )

Last edited:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Detrich

i generally go to the dealer while the car- or in this case bike- is still under warranty. and, after that, i try to find a cheaper shop through friend referral...

but, even then- i'm just not very mechanically-inclined i guess. it's not that i don't think it can be fun or that i don't like saving $. it's just that after i work all day, the last thing i want to have to do is more work on my toys... <lol> (even washing/ detailing my cars is painful to me, since it can take several hours to do it right...) i can do simple things like change out my car battery. but, beyond that i just get frustrated and prefer to pay have someone else (dependable) do the work...

hmm, starcraft 2, or change the oil and get all dirty? :p

Spunky99

i generally go to the dealer while the car- or in this case bike- is still under warranty. and, after that, i try to find a cheaper shop through friend referral...

but, even then- i'm just not very mechanically-inclined i guess. it's not that i don't think it can be fun or that i don't like saving $. it's just that after i work all day, the last thing i want to have to do is more work on my toys... <lol> (even washing/ detailing my cars is painful to me, since it can take several hours to do it right...) i can do simple things like change out my car battery. but, beyond that i just get frustrated and prefer to pay have someone else (dependable) do the work...

hmm, starcraft 2, or change the oil and get all dirty? :p
I understand you loud and clear. Enjoy your free time.

Spunky99

Mine's goin in for first service tomorrow. (1650 KL on her now and a little more when hubs brings her back tonight :D) .. simply cause it is just that THE FIRST SERVICE. Want to make sure all of the shavings and crap are out of her.

After that hubs can swing his wrenches on it all he likes ;).

I kinda didn't get sucha warm fuzzy when I called the dealer today and the service dude was like
"Oh see we are not taking appointments for service right now. It's first come first served. Just drop your bike off and we'll have it back to you in a few days.":jawdrop::banghead::banghead: WTF?

Not good enough!!!

I ended up calling my Sales Manager and asked if I would void the warranty if I brought it to someone else... (ie small local bike guru who is actual a track trained mechanic....knows sportbikes inside out:thumbup:)

SM assured me that I CAN infact make an appointment for tomorrow AM and he said he will personally make sure my bike is ready by closing.

I'll give them one chance and if they don't make me happy then off to Bike Guru I go (on stuff that hubs can't do, which won't be much cause hubs can put the perverbial a## in a cat. if ya know what I mean! ;) )
This is pretty typical as far as service goes. They are busy with all the bikes that need service and don't have to or want to get into scheduling. In other words, whatever comes in is what they work on and it is plenty to keep them busy. That means instead of getting the engine warmed up real good and letting the oil drip for 30 to 45 minutes, they warm the engine to maybe 165 on the radiator and drop the oil in 10 minutes max. Slap an oil filter on and look at the various points as required in the manual. They don't do anything extra and don't check the torque on the exhaust headers unless required.
You will get minimum service for the maximum amount they can ding you for because they are busy.

Insure Gal

OK I"M IMPRESSED!!!!

I rolled 1600 KL on Zen this weekend right That meant that the first service (ie check up ) had to be done as per my trusty handy dandy owner's manual.

I call the dealership yesterday to book my appt and am told "We are not taking appts right now, first come first served, drop it off and we'll get it back to you in a day or so..."

"Day or so" did not sit right with me so I called my Sales Manager and he said "yeah we figured that would be the best way to go because the weather has been crappy lately so folks have been punking out of their appointments, it's been ticking off the people who actually are bringing in their bikes cause it's fooling up the schedule."

He assured me that if I dropped her off today he would make sure I would have her back by closing.

Well bright and early this AM she got dropped off

He was true to his word.... a buck seventy nine ( $179.00) and 5 hours later she was ready to go at 2:30

EXCELLENT SERVICE GUYS KUDOS ALL THE WAY!!!

Jason the service manager told Bandit that the mechanic asked him to convey how impressed he was with my break in..... he said it was flawless. He said he could tell from the get go that the bike is well cared for.

jotapeh

Jason the service manager told Bandit that the mechanic asked him to convey how impressed he was with my break in..... he said it was flawless. He said he could tell from the get go that the bike is well cared for.
Huh.

How can they tell? Do they crack open your engine at first service?

Last edited:

Insure Gal

Huh.

How can they tell? Do they crack open your engine at first service?
Don't think so but the mechanic can tell by the way everything is seating (in the valves, clutch, etc ) whether she's been "rode hard and put away wet" though.

I just got quoted $225.00 yesteday from my Yamaha dealer which is for 2 hours labor and parts, so it seems like a fair price to me. One thing he told me was they use bulk oil and not the Yamalube quarts they have in stock. I forgot to ask if it was bulk yamalube, I'll ask next time I pass by.