Considering Upgrading..

mtucker

So I've had the 6r now for a little while and bought it as a starter bike because I didn't want to buy a bike with to much power to start riding. Since having the bike I've done a lot of riding with r1's and other 600cc bikes. I am confident in my ability of handling the bike and think I would be able to handle something with more power. I've considered going to a 1000cc bike but will that be too much?? Should I go for a regular 600cc bike like the R6 first? Has anyone else upgraded yet? I may just hang on to my 6r for another year but its something I've been considering..

travstoll

Has anyone else upgraded yet? .
I downgraded on power w/ this bike. I have had an r6, 636 and an f4i as far as sportbikes go over the years. Get what you want. If your goal is to squid it up on the highways pushing 162mph on the 4 lane highways, or trackdays, go for it....Until you ride 50+ bikes, you will have no idea your ideal bike. The 6r is mine. Love it. As long as you are on two wheels, does it really matter what you ride?

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

I would suggest going to a regular 600. 1000cc bikes are a different animal. You're looking at more than double the HP and about the same weight or less.
+1 I wouldn't ever dream of going on a 1000cc quite yet, the thought of wheeling everytime you try to aggressive ride just throws me off.

JonKerr

Elite Member

pilninggas

my 2pence:

ive had quite a range of bikes, i still have my fzr1000. You gotta have, what you gotta have. I like my XJ6 cos it comfortable, economical and simple. I don't think a 1000 will shock you, but you will end up going everywhere at 130mph+.

A mate and I were out yesterday on our bikes (he has also downsized from a thunderace to a kawa versys) and we felt apart from clear A-roads and motorways (freeways/interstate) we are just as quick on 600/650 non sportsbikes.

At one point we went past a pair of coppers who had pulled a car, at 95mph or more in a 40, the coppers could do F.O.! hilarious!

Kappa189

Thinking the same...

Hey everyone -- First post, just got an 09 FZ6R (blue) two weekends ago. I've been riding with a buddy of mine (he has a 650R). A few things I've noticed in the last two weeks that make me feel I want to upgrade.

1) I'm a 6'1'' guy, about 215 pounds. While riding home, my buddy commented how I looked like a "gorilla on a moped". Didn't believe him since the bike felt very comfortable. I had the wife take a picture of me going down the driveway, sure enough, I look a little too big for the bike.

2) On a similar note, I can't see anything behind me! This is a problem! I think I need to purchase some spacers for the mirrors so I can see who or what is behind me without moving my arms in some funky way for a rearward view.

3) The box swing arm has got to be the worst I have ever seen...

4) The power... I'm still in the break in period, so I can't rev above 6,000. However, I feel that I shouldn't have to run through 6 gears just to go 55 mph @ 6,000 RPM. However, this is my first bike with a tac, so you guys tell me. Is this normal?

5) $1000 for an aftermarket exhaust? Are they kidding me? Thats 1/6 of the price of the bike! Thats like buying a new camaro and dropping $5K on a catback system. And this brings up another point. The bike sounds nice, but is wwwaaayyy to quiet. This is dangerous. When I'm on the road, I want to be as loud as possible so people think twice of moving into my lane.

Now, when I was at the bike shop I looked at several models. I previously owned an 01 shadow vlx, great little starter bike but very underpowered. This is my first "sport" bike.

When considering upgrades, is there anything in between the R6 and the FZ6R? I feel the R6 is too far of a jump. I'd even consider other 600cc bikes, the GSXR, the ZX-6R.

I believe I am responsible enough to handle the power of a sport bike, I just don't want to twist the throttle and wheelie or go flying off a turn. Suggestions?

nc_fz6r

Hey everyone -- First post, just got an 09 FZ6R (blue) two weekends ago. I've been riding with a buddy of mine (he has a 650R). A few things I've noticed in the last two weeks that make me feel I want to upgrade.

1) I'm a 6'1'' guy, about 215 pounds. While riding home, my buddy commented how I looked like a "gorilla on a moped". Didn't believe him since the bike felt very comfortable. I had the wife take a picture of me going down the driveway, sure enough, I look a little too big for the bike.

5) $1000 for an aftermarket exhaust? Are they kidding me? Thats 1/6 of the price of the bike! Thats like buying a new camaro and dropping $5K on a catback system. And this brings up another point. The bike sounds nice, but is wwwaaayyy to quiet. This is dangerous. When I'm on the road, I want to be as loud as possible so people think twice of moving into my lane.
Just wanted to comment on two of your points....
1) Most of the 600cc sportbikes you mentioned will still make you look like a gorilla on a moped. They are the same size if not slightly smaller then the fz6r. The only exception might be the FZ6 as it seems to me a bit taller and longer wheelbase.

5) I agree wholeheartedly. And it kills me to think I need to drop 1k in order to increase the safety of my bike by increasing it's sound. I still chuckle to myself when I see the posts of people paying $7k for our bike... and then dropping an additional $2k in exhausts,pcv's, and other performance enhancements in order to get a tiny bit closer to an R6. Why didn't you just buy an R6 and put in bar risers (to make it more comfortable) for the same price??

My advice would be to look for a 2-3 year old FZ1 off of CraigsList..... you'll get the extra power, a 'bigger' bike, and the same comfortable riding position. And you can always slap on the aftermarket fairings to make it look sportier. I've seen 2-3 yr old FZ1's for sale around here for $6-7k.

Last edited:

Superfly

4) The power... I'm still in the break in period, so I can't rev above 6,000. However, I feel that I shouldn't have to run through 6 gears just to go 55 mph @ 6,000 RPM. However, this is my first bike with a tac, so you guys tell me. Is this normal?
Umm the manual states that you should avoid prolonged operation above 5800RPM...then after 1000kms avoid prolonged above 7000RPM...

You owe it to yourself to run that 600 to at least 10000RPM under fullthrottle in 2nd gear and up (if you can, I chickened out around 150km/hr on a side road)

If thats too slow for you then by all means you should just buy an R1 and giver :)

BTW before you say you dont want to hurt your engine you should search engine breakins on the net...basically its pretty much done in the first 100km and you should run the engine through its entire rev range...

JonKerr

Elite Member

Kappa189

I suppose I could just wait for the exhaust after a year, see if I still have the bike.

Im spoiled I suppose, a quick $250 got me some cobra pipes for the cruiser years ago, my chin hit the floor when I saw $1000 PLUS a recommended PC5 or juicebox module. Shooott.. $1500 could go towards an R6!

Does anyone here own an FZ6R and a sport bike? One for the commute and one for the weekend?

nc_fz6r

As for the question of why not just get an R6 if you're going to spend that money? How about I didn't want to. I love my FZ6R. I personally wouldn't want an R6. I don't want that kind of riding position and don't need that much power right now. The upgrades I've done on my bike have been to clean it up and make it look nicer. I'll be doing an exhaust on the bike for the sound and the look. I may see a bit of an increase in power and that's just a bonus. Sorry, but the guys who just throw a slip on onto a stock system for $300, aren't doing it to get huge power gains. They're doing it for looks and sound.

OK I'm off my soap box now. Sorry. :eek:
Hey Jon, my comment was really meant for those that post concerning all the micro-enhancements in horsepower they try to slap on the bike. The reason why you and I would want the 2-bros exhaust is exactly the same.... give the bike a growl. Like you, I prefer the riding position and the smooth and forgiving torque for daily commuter work.

Kappa: I'm in the Apex area... so not too far from your neck of the woods. I got my bike at Triangle Cycles in Durham.

Kappa189

Hey Jon, my comment was really meant for those that post concerning all the micro-enhancements in horsepower they try to slap on the bike. The reason why you and I would want the 2-bros exhaust is exactly the same.... give the bike a growl. Like you, I prefer the riding position and the smooth and forgiving torque for daily commuter work.

Kappa: I'm in the Apex area... so not too far from your neck of the woods. I got my bike at Triangle Cycles in Durham.
Ahh.. very close indeed. I picked mine up at Matison. Talked first with the guys at Team Powersports in Garner, didn't like the sales manager attitude...

Are you a member of any group rides ?

JonKerr

Elite Member

DjOrchie

So the FZ6R does 0-60 in 3.8 sec's and the R6 does it in 3 sec's. Doesn't seem a whole lot faster to me. Plus I heard once you put on the Two-Bros exhaust, do the air intake, and add a Two Bros JuiceBox the FZ6R can do 0-60 in 3 sec's as well.

joloy133

So the FZ6R does 0-60 in 3.8 sec's and the R6 does it in 3 sec's. Doesn't seem a whole lot faster to me. Plus I heard once you put on the Two-Bros exhaust, do the air intake, and add a Two Bros JuiceBox the FZ6R can do 0-60 in 3 sec's as well.
It's not just drag speed. Roll on acceleration, 60 to 80, ultimate top end etc. No denying the R's can flat move! (I don't need that though!)

WenMark

I have had this thought after test riding the FZ1 a year ago I loved it. Well that and my wife said I look too big for this bike as well. I opted to buy the FZ6R due to I needed to get back in the saddle and did not want alot of tickets right away. I'm 6' and well I was 220lbs in December, but I have put on about 10 more lbs due to stress from work and too much home cooking so the bike is really bogging down some. I went to the dealer to negotiate a 2 bike trade a Suzuki Burgman 650 and my FZ6R for either a FZ1 or a Triumph Street Triple. I test rode both and both were great. The dealer being the A'hole dealers that they are never wants to lose any $ so they try to stick it to you. Well I'm no dummy and made a counter offer well they cry fowl and say, but we can't lose that kind of $, well hey I don't want to lose that kind of $ either so were at a stalemate now. I guess I either will keep what I got and be happy or lose some weight and improve performance. There is also the FZ8 that comes out later this year even though they could of done a better job of looks wise it fits the bill between the 6 & 1 models for us bigger guys. Who knows don't be hasty in your choice ride the bikes that you target and do a good amount of research. I think maybe I will take the wife with me next time when I buy my next bike to make sure I dont look like a gorilla too...lol:D

JonKerr

Elite Member

Kappa189

.8 sec in a 0-60 is quite a bit. Besides, a lot of it is the power delivery. The R6 has a much more abrupt power delivery and quite a bit more torque than the FZ6R. That's where newer riders get themselves in trouble is getting on it too hard and exceeding their tires grip. That's why the FZ6R's soft bottom end is so great for a newer rider. No amount of tuning, exhaust, intake work on the FZ6R will get it up to the power and speed of a current (or even past) R6. I mean it's just about double the horse power.
Well, is there a bike that is a next step up before the R6 or other 600cc bike? I was thinking the FZ6 but apparently they don't make them anymore. Maybe we have to wait for the "FZ6R" replacement.

One thing I enjoy about the FZ6R is the insurance premiums... much lower than an R6!!