Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Helmet- You have
Gloves- You have

Jacket- I would recommend a good textile jacket with removable rain/wind liner. One that will work in colder weather allowing you to layer under it and can strip down for hotter weather.

Over-pants- Something you can throw over your jeans. Scorpion, Joe Rocket, etc.

Boots- Something with good ankle protection that you are comfortable in.

Just make sure you go try things on and really get a good feel for the items. The best gear is the gear you will actually wear and be comfortable in!

Detrich

CE knee/shin guards to wear under Kevlar jeans. Knox, Dainese, Icon, Fieldsheer etc all make them.

Armored shorts with Thigh & Tailbone protection to wear under the Kevlar jeans. Knox, Dainese, Icon etc all make these.

I have the Knox Multi-Sport Shorts & Cross Knee Guards and Icon Stryker shorts. The Knox stuff is prolly the best, but it's bulky. So, I sometimes wear the Icon shorts instead but I modded mine to add tailbone armor. The stock ones don't come with a tail piece.

danieljardim

Planning to buy all the stuff and have a full suit, but the bank is a little broken right now since i just got the bike. I'm not ready to go super fast ripping the highways yet, so my ride will be back and forth to work on city streets doing top 45 mph. Should I start with jacket and boots maybe?

Sparkxx1

Planning to buy all the stuff and have a full suit, but the bank is a little broken right now since i just got the bike. I'm not ready to go super fast ripping the highways yet, so my ride will be back and forth to work on city streets doing top 45 mph. Should I start with jacket and boots maybe?
Honestly gear doesn't magically work after 60 mph, it works when you get rear ended at a red light. Get what you can, a 45 mph crash is alot worse then it seems. Run as fast as you can in your underwear and then throw yourself on concrete. First of all I doubt you were running more then 15 mph...How will you feel? Sorry if I came out as rude but get what you can. I understand the bank situation cuz I'm broke too. I have a good helmet a good jacket and gloves. Right now I'm about to buy boots and I'm looking to buy a full suit this spring. Good luck! Ride safe!

See red

I love my gx air from cortech. Motorcyclegear.com, the liners are good in pretty much all weather, and no liners it's much cooler for the hot days. Speed and strength shoes comfy as f!!!!!

I would say the deal I got for my jacket was great, it was 115 bucks, has leather over the c.e. for better than average abrasion and impact points.

The shoes after a year and a half are f-in awsome. I have bought two extra pair so when they discontinue I don't have to buy 6 pairs to find something I like again. lol!

KeysRider3

Yes, a good jacket that has armor and a removeable rain/wind liner, and boots that will protect your ankles and tootsies. If you're not going racing (either alone, or with others), you don't have to spend big bucks on footwear. Most of the less-than-racing-footwear on the market isn't much better than a good pair of water-proof, over-the-ankle hiking boots, doesn't offer any better "feel" when shifting, will cost less and last longer, and you won't have to guess what U.S. shoe size a particular manufacturer's European size 47 really fits. Once you can afford them get some overpants with armor for the knee/shin, and hips. Welcome to the club!

See red

There are huge differences in the shoes! Mine have ankle, heel, and toes re-enforcements, not to mention, it has no laces to catch anything, like oh, say your chain..... and it has a shift grip across the toes! So yeh, um huge differences.

They are not even all that pricey but worth the pennys.

Detrich

gear won't prevent an accident or fully protect you in one either. it's just to minimize the permanent damage to your body and reduce recovery time if and when something unexpected happens- which may never even be your fault. simply put, gear can be the difference of walking away from an accident or spending weeks in the hospital.

1. u should not be riding at all, period, unless u have at least the following:
helmet, gloves, boots, riding jacket

2. if u don't care about cutting open your knee caps to the bone, dislocating a shoulder, breaking an arm or elbow, permanent scaring over your torso and legs, busting your spine, and getting permanent nerve damage, then add the following:
knee & shin guards; jacket with ce-rated armor & back protector

3. now if you don't care about fracturing your tailbone, severely bruising your chest , and/ or damaging your hips, then add the following:
ce-rated armored shorts with thigh & tailbone coverage, ce-rated chest protector

even just tipping over at a stand-still will result in pegs digging nice big holes into your shins, bruising your ankles, and fracturing your fingers. so, when you're shopping for gear, look for gear that has good all-around armor coverage. cheap gloves = fractured/ broken fingers and/ or wrists. cheap, soft boots = fractured/ broken ankles and/ or toes.

remember that with gear, something is still always better than nothing. yes- gear is pricey as heck. so, you can always gradually upgrade over time, which is what most of us do. don't expect to spend all the money all at once for the very best of everything right away. but, do realize that every time u hop on the bike without adequate full body armor (top & bottom), you are more at risk.

Sparkxx1

gear won't prevent an accident or fully protect you in one either. it's just to minimize the permanent damage to your body and reduce recovery time if and when something unexpected happens- which may never even be your fault. simply put, gear can be the difference of walking away from an accident or spending weeks in the hospital.

2. if u don't care about cutting open your knee caps to the bone, dislocating a shoulder, breaking an arm or elbow, permanent scaring over your torso and legs, busting your spine, and getting permanent nerve damage, then add the following:

3. now if you don't care about fracturing your tailbone, severely bruising your chest , and/ or damaging your hips, then add the following:
ce-rated armored shorts with thigh & tailbone coverage, ce-rated chest protector

even just tipping over at a stand-still will result in pegs digging nice big holes into your shins, bruising your ankles, and fracturing your fingers. so, when you're shopping for gear, look for gear that has good all-around armor coverage. cheap gloves = fractured/ broken fingers and/ or wrists. cheap, soft boots = fractured/ broken ankles and/ or toes.

remember that with gear, something is still always better than nothing. yes- gear is pricey as heck. so, you can always gradually upgrade over time, which is what most of us do. don't expect to spend all the money all at once for the very best of everything right away. but, do realize that every time u hop on the bike without adequate full body armor (top & bottom), you are more at risk.
Start with used gear from here and r6-forum.com. I've seen great deals on almost brand new items just because members end up not using them.

Bloke

CE approved armoured jacket & trousers (NEVER normal jeans), armoured boots, armoured gloves, lid.
This.

My setup is stupid convenient, most of it fits into a tankbag when I arrive and my bike boots are plain black leather touring boots so suitable to work in.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

danieljardim

Thank you guys. I'm gonna start with at least a jacket and boots. And I'll buy the rest little by little. (I don't wanna be walking around like a zombie missing pieces of my body in case a get into an accident. Hope not)

motogp6r

gear for your body is important and the everyone covered the necessities for your body. your bike needs protection too. you should think about buying frame sliders to protect your bike. there are a few options on the market cut and no cut made by different companies. a good example are these Yamaha FZ6R Accessories, Yamaha FZ6R Frame Sliders. check them out and know there are options on almost every other cycle site out there.

Chevyfazer

Thank you guys. I'm gonna start with at least a jacket and boots. And I'll buy the rest little by little. (I don't wanna be walking around like a zombie missing pieces of my body in case a get into an accident. Hope not)
That's a good place to start, but when funds are available pants are also very important too. Plus IMHO, you get what you pay for, so in other words if you go and get some cheep gear it will protect you in a crash a little but after that one incident your gear will more then likely be garbage, not to mention the little things that give way on cheep gear like seams and zippers for no reason other than poor quality. If you spend a little more money and get some decent stuff it should hold up in a fall pretty well and I'm sure you will feel more confident with the build quality as well, good gear that fits well just feels right, like your wrapped up in a protective tortilla lol

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

danieljardim

After reading this i decided on my riding gear

Attachments