college/employment advice needed

CrazyCawi

How would you guys handle if your soon to be wife isn't enjoying her job anymore and wants to start working part time(enough to keep her benefits) and go to school full time. (We were paying for college as she goes with cash) and she currently works full time and goes to school part time towards her nursing degree. She wants to do financial aid to make up the difference. I don't agree with it at all but I'm an @$$ if I say it that way. Also our pay scale at my job just got cut back by about $1500 a month. She currently has a degree as a surgery tech, and works in sterile processing. She makes like $23 bucks an hour. My thought is....continue making good money and complete the degree part time without debt. Her idea would be to work part time enough to keep her benefits and pay her side of the bills but do student loans for her school. I see the benefit of finishing school a little quicker but I just don't see how creating more debt when you don't have to and you make good money why not use it to it's full advantage....I get you don't enjoy your job anymore(shes the lead and doesn't like how catty the department is with all the women being so childish/vindictive to one another) ....but that's part of life, or am I wrong for thinking that?

I don't want to approach this narrow minded when we sit down to discuss it Thursday on my day off, so Id like to get a little bit of input.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

My wife and I both work full-time and go to school full-time using financial aid. Unfortunately it's the only way we can afford to go. I do get money from post 9/11 GI Bill to help. Both my step-daughters go to school full time as well (my son's only going on 10 so got a while for him). At this point in life we can't afford to take our time getting our degrees. I have about 1 year left for my BS in IT-Information Assurance and Security and my wife will be done in August for her BA in Accounting. Both daughters are responsible for their financial aid. I just turned 39 and my wife is a few years older. If I was younger and didn't want to change careers ASAP I'd probably stick with the no debt option, but I wouldn't be against taking the loan option either. There are grants and incentives as well. How long would she need to go? How much per class/semester? How much could you cover if she went full-time compared to the amount you need for loans? If you are covering most of the cost and financial aid is minimal then it's a no brainer. Just my $.02

I currently have about 90k in student loans which is why Id like to not go the student loan route and just pay cash for hers as we have been but you both bring up good points. she would have about 2.5ish years till graduation as it sits, or 1.5ish years roughly if she goes full time.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

$90K, did you get a PHD at Harvard? LOL!
no, my for about a year and a half I goofed off and partied and worried about work and said screw it to college but stayed enrolled. Failed a bunch of classes at a private school and learned my lesson in more than one way. Also, interest accrues daily, and on larger student loans it means big loans continue to get bigger very fast

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

im right there with you. my girl all of a sudden goes from miss independent I have my own splurging money to I hate my job I want to stay home! same thing she makes decent money and because of that we had been living a certain lifestyle that would be impossible to maintain on only my income. im attempting to be considerate and word it appropriately but if she were to continue to work for another year and we pay all of our debt then her staying home would be very feasible. well only advice is approach it with an open mind as you pointed out, but at the end of the day don't loose someone special over $$ disagreements. Good luck to ya
mine is talking some of those same things......:wtfgun:

Sage

This is my train of thought on that subject, but then again i am nowhere near in your guys shoes and have sort of s/o :p
Totally joking of course, unless this is really how it goes :eek:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

my concern would be that if she already went to school for surgical tech and then immediately doesnt like it, is the same thing going to happen when she finishes the new round of school? If you can avoid the debt and take only one year longer to go to school i would do that.

my nephew went for blood technician graduated and never even looked for a job said i wont like that so ill go to full nursing school. Massive debt and years later he is finally supposed to graduate but still has no job in site.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I think surgical tech is a stop gap.

Could she not look for another surgical tech job in the meantime and continue part time?

Elaborate please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Wait what?
This is a public forum and her work could possibly read this thread... pretty rare chance, but his point none the less.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member