clutch too much free play

JSP

Super Moderator
That is why it needs to stay within spec. Too much play in the lever will cause grinding/not good shifts. No play in the lever and it can cause the clutch to slip.

S

SkyOrDie

Oh man, I thought we put this one to bed.

The adjuster absolutely changes the friction point. Try it if you don't believe it. You can adjust it so that it never engages, or is always engaged.
First, sorry for the late addition or resurrection of an old thread. I'm just not on here every day... or week.

I can't get a mental image of how the free-play adjustment will "truly" affect the friction point on the clutch. Of course, the friction point will track along with the free-play gap, but you can't set the free-play to spec and the friction point at the same time. If I'm wrong, I can't take your word for it. I'm an atheist, too. I need a mechanical explanation.

To me, the cable pulls a lever on the engine. The free-play only takes out the excess slack. The lever is now ready to put tension on the clutch springs via a push rod. The additional movement required to push the springs enough to disengage the clutch, is a function of plate thickness. The cable is out of the picture.

-Stan

Chevyfazer

The adjustment doesn't physically change the friction point of the clutch it's self, they are referring to the point at witch the clutch begins to engage while releasing the lever, so the clutch friction point it's self is not effected by adjusting the free play, but where you reach it on the lever is, so both of y'all are right

JSP

Super Moderator
The adjustment doesn't physically change the friction point of the clutch it's self, they are referring to the point at witch the clutch begins to engage while releasing the lever, so the clutch friction point it's self is not effected by adjusting the free play, but where you reach it on the lever is, so both of y'all are right
Exactly . And that is why it needs to stay in the correct free play spec. As I said earlier, too much or too little and the clutch is either always engaging causing slip, or it will not fully engage when pulling the lever causing grinding shifts.

I think its just something you have to get used to.

Deanohh

Sky, that is almost right. Once the pressure plate is fully down on the plates with no pushrod contact, that's your starting point. That point will be different as the plates wear,but from there the distance the rod has to move to lift the pressure plate is just the same. Now this can get goofed up cause of the geometry of the short lever that pushes the push rod, but the pushrod/lower lever setting is also adjustable....where you are in effect changing the length of the pushrod.

wHen you squeeze the hand lever, you take up the cable slack and the clearances at the lower lever-pushrod-pressure plate but your hand doesn't know how much of each, so the simple cable adjust at the hand lever usually works.

If you look down at the small lever at the lower end of the cable you see a mark on the lever an a mark on the case that holds the lever. If you move the lever with your finger you will feel the point where the lever/pushrod start to bear against the clutch springs. That is the point where the marks should line up. If this is far off, the wrong part of the little cam will be on the pushrod and might not release properly. That's why you can adjust the pushrod...not usually necessary but can be done on the right side of the engine...some disassembly required. This is where plate thickness affects it...how the pushrod moves and pushrod clearance, not how far you move the pressure plate to release.

Last edited:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Deanohh

Its where the edge of a nickel would fit in that gap where you can see the cable near the pivot of the lever. In your pic it looks close enough.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Ride&Die

I just got back from along ride and had noticed that Ive lost all free play, no matter how far turned it. Does any one know why this would happen, and is it bad? I ride hard keeping revs around 7-10.:confused:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Deanohh

The spot where the marks line up is where the mechanism ideally starts to lift the clutch.

To get more free play you turn the screw in...you know that, right? The other end of the cable might have come loose...you could check that.

FazerWest

The spot where the marks line up is where the mechanism ideally starts to lift the clutch.

To get more free play you turn the screw in...you know that, right? The other end of the cable might have come loose...you could check that.
Thank you so much I had to adjust it inwards yes, i think it has about a nickel worth of space which is what people said is ideal

Ride&Die

Thanks for the input, but had to loosen the locknut under the cow
to gain the free play that is required. I just cant figure out where it went though?

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member