Clutch Engagement Question

tho9504

Hello,
When i am about to take off after a red light, i shift to 1st and have to release the Clutch lever almost all the way (85-95% fully released) for the bike to start moving on it's own. Is that normal? I would've expected the clutch to start disengaging half way release of the lever.

It's not a problem but an annoyance. Because i wind up reving the bike by accident all the time for it to move since it's not moving when expected. :confused:

Can i fix this issue by adjusting the dial knob at the clutch lever? If so, do i turn it clock wise (tighten) or counter-clock wise (loosen) to make the clutch disengage and apply power to the wheel by only releasing half the clutch lever rather than releasing it over ~85% to start moving?

Superzoom

You can put the friction zone wherever you want it by turning the adjustment knob.

Clockwise will loosen the cable and cause the friction zone to be at the end of lever travel (when lever is closer to bar) when you pull on it.

Counter-clockwise will tighten the cable and obviously cause the friction zone to occur early in lever travel, which is what you are complaining about.

Feel absolutely free to adjust the friction zone to whatever you prefer. The manual specifies an actual clearance between the top of the lever and the lever perch of free play. I think it's supposed to be about the width of a quarter or two, something like that. Yours may be smaller than that. Remember what yours is right now for reference, then try turning the knob clockwise and see how you like the adjusted friction zone.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

tho9504

Reviving an old thread...
Finally, some good weather so i wanted to take my bike out for a long ride. After warming up, i noticed that when i had the clutch fully pulled in and shifted to 1st gear, the bike was slowly pulling itself forward even with clutch fully pulled in. I think i may have to adjust my clutch cable. Do i need to turn the knob at the clutch lever closewise or counter-close wise to have the clutch more engaged while pulled in?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member