Closest almost-accdent of my life...

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I just had the closest almost-accident of my riding career! :mad::mad:

I left work early to get things ready for a 13 hour drive back to IL. I was traveling in the right lane, and there was a dump truck about a 1/2 mile ahead of me, going slow in the left lane. A pickup truck turns into the left lane and starts to split both lanes, but finally chooses the left lane. Since the dump truck is going slow, the pickup truck is closing in on the dumper. I'm starting to make my way passed the pickup when I can tell he is going to cut me off. I start to ease my way to the far right side of my lane as I'm coming in line with the bed of the truck.

Sure enough, the pickup driver doesn't look over his shoulder and has to swerve to avoid hitting the dumper. :spank: In one smooth motion, I pulled in the clutch, covered and applied both brakes, down-shifted all the way to first, honked my horn, lost the rear tire in the sand/dirt and gravel at the road's edge, and felt the back end walk out to the right!! :eek:

At this point, I've got about a 30 degree angle between the front and rear tire, and I'm getting very close to the curb. I'm now in line with the passenger door of the truck and he realizes he's f'ed up and skids back into his lane. I ride the rear skid out of the slide and proceed on my way home to clean my pants and finish going number 2.

I kept my cool the whole time and didn't panic. I saw the threat before it happened and was able to prepare for it. Situational awareness saves lives!

I just hope this isn't an indicator of how the 13 hour drive to IL is going to go.

JSP

Super Moderator
Glad you kept your head on your shoulders and came out of it!!! Its scary out there!

DragonBlu

Geeze'zus be careful,sounds like you saved your arse 99. Good luck on the trip tp Ill. Be safe! Have a cold one when you get there. :iconbeer:

sammy56

Good work and get use to it. Not sure if you've been riding for many years or just a couple, but you will eventually lose track of all the accidents you've avoided by being a good, diligent and safe rider.
Half the fun in commuting is telling everyone the insane stories you collect!! :D:D:D:D:D

LB

Chucker

Useful tip - use your horn to say "Hey, I'm here" rather than "WTF!!!". When you figured he was going to move over, a little beep or two let's him know you're there.

People tend to use their horn to yell rather than tell.

Detrich

staying cool & not grabbing the brakes on the gravel = good job! we all can learn from this. :) glad you're ok.

Sage

Glad your alright and came out unscathed minus a few skidmarks in multiple places. I agree, sometimes a few small taps on the horn is useful if they are prone to being an idiot and just want to let them know your there and gunna pass

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

CrazyCawi

Whoa! Man I'm glad your okay. Good job on the save. Be careful on your way back home. Just think this entire day that guy will probably check his blind spot from now on.
sad thing is, itll only last untill tomorrow! Ive witnessed a few close call accidents as a passenger in vehicles, it catches em for the next 30-40 minutes but them bam, right back to the old habbits. I myself completly broke myself of all those nasty habbits the moment I got on a bike because I realised how I put others at risk so much! Glad your safe 99! You did so well in preparing for it and im really glad things worked in your favor!:thumbup:

as for mr. notlookingatblindspottruckman..... :spank::spank::spank:

CDN6R

WOW!!,,Now that was scarey! Glad you are OK except for the purchase of "Depends". Maybe we should all wear them when we ride.

ksanbon

Nice save.

One thing that's saved me so far is to expect the unexpected. Assuming that others don't see me and being willing to slow down has helped in avoiding bad situations. Now I'm pleasantly surprised whenever they do see me or show some form of courtesy.

tractorboy

Calm is the key...But thats the hardest part! Staying calm. Funny how 99% of the time you "have a feeling" that someone is "gonna do something".

Had that today.....someone pulled out of a restaurant in front me...not as close as 99's call but all of a sudden as Im seeing him stopped....I said to myself...
Self...hes gonna go for it....

and whammo..there he goes. WOW 99.. I dont know if Id be able to think/reach for the horn with all that in my head at that point but Great for you!

It seems to me that it does not matter if your yellow green or blue or loud or quite...we just dont have the MASS to register in that rushed little brain of the driver....... Hell they do it to other CARS so why not a little bike....

I think all cars should have to ride a bike when the renew their license to see how it feels.......hahaha

Chucker

I use my horn whenever I think someone doesn't see me and could interfere with my course. A couple of little beeps before they pull a bonehead move will do wonders. I can't say how many times I've had someone come to a jerky stop or swerve back when I beeped. I just think I'd rather look like a scaredy cat than have to pull an evasive maneuver. It works!

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

short_guy

WOW!!,,Now that was scarey! Glad you are OK except for the purchase of "Depends". Maybe we should all wear them when we ride.
Does this count as "All the gear, all the time"? :D