Cleaning the Chain from the Dealer

MikeN02

This is about the 3rd time I cleaned my chain and I have a question about my cleaning...

I use this stuff called 360 Chain cleaner that's safe for O-Rings, I spray it on and let it sit, then I clean it with a rag and sometimes toothbrush. Afterwards I spray down inside the chain with lube one side and down the side that's closest to me.

Anyways, I've noticed that I didn't clean the sprocket since I got my bike from the Dealer. They used some type of goo lube, I cleaned it off the chain when I did my first lube. But I didn't get it off the sprockets. Today I washed my bike, and cleaned/lubed my chain + cleaned off the goo. Was it a good idea to clean it off?

The lube I use is a spray.

JonKerr

Elite Member

vitrox

i live on a dirt road, my sprocket is filthy where it contacts the chain. I keep the chain lubed really well, and haven't had any issues.

MikeN02

Yes you want to get the teeth on the sprocket cleaned. That thick goo collects dirt and grit. You want to get rid of that when you do your cleaning. I use a soft plastic bristle scrub brush and Simple Green (they say it's o-ring safe and I haven't had any issues in 6000 miles) then rinse it off well with water while I wash the bike. Once I get the bike dried I put it up on a stand and wipe off the excess water off the chain. Then spray Maxima Chain Guard on and wipe off the excess after it sits and soaks for about 15 minutes.
Thanks, usually I watch videos/ read articles about chain cleaning and they say nothing about cleaning the sprocket, only the chain.

Also, isn't it recommended to ride your bike for about 5 or 10 minutes to warm up the chain and then clean it?

vitrox

i usually clean after i wash my bike, then lube, then let sit overnight at least, that way the lube soaks in fully and doesn't spray all over my undertail and swingarm.

Roaddawg

I've heard NOT to use a brush on the chains as that forces dirt/grit in between the o-rings and such. I just wipe it down real good.

JSP

Super Moderator
I soak it in Kerosene and that gets it really clean. An old "soft" toothbrush works good. Dont use a stiff one as it can push shit into the o-rings.

porky45

Thanks, usually I watch videos/ read articles about chain cleaning and they say nothing about cleaning the sprocket, only the chain.

Also, isn't it recommended to ride your bike for about 5 or 10 minutes to warm up the chain and then clean it?
I always lube the chain after a long ride, everything is heated up, loose and more likely to come off. Let it sit overnight or else you'll have chain spray.

Remember - spray the inside of the chain, not the outside

NewBlue47

I clean my chain with WD-40 - then spray that white o-ring
then I wipe it down real good with gear oil. like a 90 w. That white stuff you spray on the chain makes it like S#%t

What do you think? hurting it??
Junier Member :confused:

Reactions: JT

Riccochet

I use Maxima chain cleaner. I also remove the chain guard and front sprocket guard. Spray, let it sit, wipe everything clean then hose it off. Take a quick spin around the block once or twice to heat it up and spray on the wax. Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes and wipe off any excess. Been doing it this way on street and dirt bikes for decades with no issues. Before chain wax I've used spray lithium grease. Works awesome.

Crpngdth

i have started using this dupont product about 6 months ago and will never look back. the way it keeps the dirt away is simply amazing. using hydrocarbons for chains is a thing of the past all they do is trap dirt and grime because they remain "wet". its o-ring safe as well, right on the can $8.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/DUPONT-CS0110101.jpg

• A high performance chain lubricant utilizing a patented dry wax formulation. DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver doesn't attract dirt and doesn't fling off. Can help chains and sprockets last up to 5 times longer
• Goes on wet, Sets up to a clean, dry, wax film which will not absorb dirt or grime
• Will not absorb abrasive contaminants including paper dust, mill powders, lint and grass
• Patented self-cleaning technology sheds contaminants to minimize or prevent abrasive wear
• Helps chains work better and last longer
• Highly resistant to water wash-off and won't fling off
• Water repelling, helps protect against rust and corrosion

Applications:
• Motorcycle, ATV and go-kart chains (o-ring safe)
• All bicycle chains - mountain, road, BMX, recumbent, etc.
• Garage door chains, springs, rollers and tracks
• Industrial roller and drive chains, fork lifts, conveyors, stackers, forestry/logging chains, paper corrugator stacker and floor conveyor chains
• NSF H-2 listed
• Can withstand temperatures up to 300°F (149°C)

HelmetHair

yah, thats so the lube will soak into the o-rings better. no other reason.
The O-rings are sealed and have grease inside. Nothing should be getting in or out. The oiling or waxing of your chain is an external lubricant to reduce wear on the chain and sprocket.

If something is o-ring safe, it is not going to penetrate or affect the O-rings.

That's why I would personally hesitate to use something like a penetrating water dispersant like WD-40 on an o-ring chain like some do for cleaning.

Pinarello Rider

The O-rings are sealed and have grease inside. Nothing should be getting in or out. The oiling or waxing of your chain is an external lubricant to reduce wear on the chain and sprocket.

If something is o-ring safe, it is not going to penetrate or affect the O-rings.

That's why I would personally hesitate to use something like a penetrating water dispersant like WD-40 on an o-ring chain like some do for cleaning.
After seeing this thread, I started doing some research, and there sure is alot of disagreement on this subject. Kerosene vs WD-40 vs some other stuff. I always figured there was an easy, tried and true way of doing this.

I clean the chain on my bicycle quite frequently - I spray some degreaser on it, then throw some boeshield on every 500 miles or so. In between, I'll add some boeshield, let is sit for a while, then wipe it off.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Alex6

After seeing this thread, I started doing some research, and there sure is alot of disagreement on this subject. Kerosene vs WD-40 vs some other stuff. I always figured there was an easy, tried and true way of doing this.

I clean the chain on my bicycle quite frequently - I spray some degreaser on it, then throw some boeshield on every 500 miles or so. In between, I'll add some boeshield, let is sit for a while, then wipe it off.
Just want to mention that the Yamaha OM advises to use kerosene...

Riccochet

Interesting. Well, I'm not real thrilled about keeping kerosene around the house... :zombie:
Why? You keep a propane tank for a grill? How about carb cleaner, WD40, hair spray, gas for mower/wacker, over cleaner? All a lot more volatile than kerosene, which is basically diesel fuel or fuel oil.

I have over 40 lbs of gun powder in my closet for reloading. It's not like I'm chilling with a couple pounds of Winchester 231 while sitting at the fire pit. lol

bmw675

Why? You keep a propane tank for a grill? How about carb cleaner, WD40, hair spray, gas for mower/wacker, over cleaner? All a lot more volatile than kerosene, which is basically diesel fuel or fuel oil.

I have over 40 lbs of gun powder in my closet for reloading. It's not like I'm chilling with a couple pounds of Winchester 231 while sitting at the fire pit. lol
My initial thought as well. But maybe he's someone that lives in an apt with no garage or outside storage. In that case, I probably wouldn't want a fuel jug of kerosene next to my bed too. :)