Cleaning products/techniques ?

pgillen

A noob question.

My FZ6R will soon need to be cleaned. Would forum members care to share what products and techniques they use to keep their FZ6R in pristine condition.

There is a lot of matte black on the FZ6R – engine, frame and plastic panels. How do you treat these areas.

DragonBlu

I use Mequiars Quick Detailer spray after every ride on everything but the tires and seat. Mine still looks like new. Soap and water on the wheels and tires and blow dry. :) I clean after the bike is cooled down,usually the next day.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator

arkkornkid

I use a good quality car wash soap. Hand wash with a mit. The electronics/dash will be fine unless you just keep a constant stream of water on them. A quick swipe with the mit and a rinse won't bother them, they were designed to handle rain. A ride around the block or a leaf blower takes care of the water and then an all over wipe with a shammy to take care of water spots.

Put wax on the painted stuff, mindful to keep it off the black plastics and rubber.... it's a pain to get it off of that. I use stuff called Raggtop on the black parts: it's used on vinyl convertible tops, works really well on the plastics and even the seat as long as you wipe the excess off. Any good vinyl cleaner and conditioner will work, I dislike Armor All.

Between waxings you can use the quick detail spray stuff. And I keep a small dash size California Duster right next to my bike in the garage so when I pull in it gets all the loose stuff knocked off right away before I cover her up.

JSP

Super Moderator
Rain in Redmond? You must not clean your bike often. All I ever saw was dust.:)
Well now that summer is here, thats about all it will be so I'm told ;)

This is my first actual summer here. Last 2 months we have had some decent rains.

I have looked into a couple engine bays here and they are just covered in dust. I think its time to actually start cleaning the bike regularly now, probably. :surrender:

husker525

Meguiars Quick Detailer after a light spray with the power washer. Foam window cleaner works well for stuck on bugs, and Plexus plastic polish works great on all the black matte areas. I wax the rest of the fairings and front fender, and the road grime doesn't stick to the paint. I have not had to use any soap for any area, just the car wash power spray on high pressure rinse.

pgillen

Thank you to the members who responded to my questions. This forum is a terrific resource.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

ME_with_a_B

I use "Turtle Wax - Bug & Tar Remover" with paper towels when I want to quickly clean up the bike without giving it a shower. The stuff smells good, and it really does help get all the crud off the fairings.

Bikegirl88

I dry the bike with a leaf blower