cleaning it up

mchury

just curious about any good cleaning products that take bug guts and what not off the plastics. If any one got any good ideas, im all ears.:rockon:

JonKerr

Elite Member

mchury

I actually use McGuire's car wash and spray on wax. After waxing the painted surface, bugs and crap seem to come off easier with a simple washing.
what kind of spray wax?

JonKerr

Elite Member

rleckert

They're both McGuire's. The wash is something like Deep Crystal Car Wash and the wax is McGuire's QuickWax. It's great. I just spray it onto a microfiber rag and lightly wipe it on and let it haze over for a few minutes. Then just wipe it off with a clean microfiber rag. Comes off really easily and takes out any water spots that may have been left. You can use it on a wet surface too so no need to pull out the chamois to get the bike completely dry before you wax. Just wipe it off to get the major excess water off and you're good to go. I only use the wax on the plastics though.

Then between washes, I just wipe the bike off with a microfiber rag and dust and loose bugs etc... just come right off. My black bike can be difficult to keep nice and clean looking and this stuff has helped a lot.
I use the same products and process, it only takes a few minutes, I clean it after every ride and my bike looks as good as the day I got it.

mchury

They're both McGuire's. The wash is something like Deep Crystal Car Wash and the wax is McGuire's QuickWax. It's great. I just spray it onto a microfiber rag and lightly wipe it on and let it haze over for a few minutes. Then just wipe it off with a clean microfiber rag. Comes off really easily and takes out any water spots that may have been left. You can use it on a wet surface too so no need to pull out the chamois to get the bike completely dry before you wax. Just wipe it off to get the major excess water off and you're good to go. I only use the wax on the plastics though.

Then between washes, I just wipe the bike off with a microfiber rag and dust and loose bugs etc... just come right off. My black bike can be difficult to keep nice and clean looking and this stuff has helped a lot.
thanks alot man that deff helped out alot

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
A great way to get bugs off? Take a towel and soak it with plain water. Gently press it onto the windscreen, headlights and fairing like a tight mask. Sit back with some tunes on and have a couple beers. After about 30 minutes, lift the towel off and hose it with a solid stream. Most of them wash off with no scrubbing. Then take the soapy water to her and give her a good bath. No chemicals needed.

JonKerr has a great point! A bike that is washed and waxed cleans up a lot easier afterward.

Polycarbonate is sensitive to ammonia, so glass cleaners like Windex should not be used on polycarbonate such as the windshield and headlight lenses. (Or clear signals)

xplodnstar

It sounds like you're giving the dead bugs a sauna soak. If you rehydrate them enough will they come back to life and fly away themselves?

:p

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Noooooo... they turn into Zombie flies and eat spiders as revenge!

FZ6R-NE

Malco Leather and plastic cleaner....its kinda hard to find but it works better than anything else ive tried.

xplodnstar

Noooooo... they turn into Zombie flies and eat spiders as revenge!
Ha ha ha ha ha!!!! Just in time for Halloween.

Braaaaaiiiiiinnnnnnnnssssss. :p

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
I've always used the McGuire's car wash on my cages, never used the spray on wax 'cause I didn't want to "spray" an entire car, but since there's not much surface on the bike, I thought I'd give it a try.
I just got a bottle tonight and polished my helmet (sorry:surrender:) and it looks great. Can't wait to wash down the bike and give it a shine as well.

Now, what about my jacket? Warm water alone do the job??? Kids were grossed out one night when I had a big bug-grenade on my shoulder.
I just use a light damp rag if I get good bug guts on the jacket. Otherwise I just let the rain wash it off :cool:

I use some stuff called "bike spirits, spray cleaner and Polish!" I wash my bike and once I get back from air dry, I spray this stuff on my bike and wipe it down with a cloth! It works really well! Bike shines more and it is alot quicker than waxing! Heres the web site Original Bike Spirits I would suggest it to anyone with a bike!

Detrich

my bike's windshield came with light (spider web) swirl marks all over, because the previous owner didn't clean it properly... it didn't really bother me at first because i was so excited to get the bike and i didn't really notice it that much. but, now that i've been riding and cleaning, i kinda wish the windshield wasn't swirled up.

does anyone know of a cleaner that will safely remove these swirl scratches on the windshield?

i've tried McGuires clear plastic scratch remover cleaner, but it doesn't seem to do anything. No difference before or after - too mild maybe? I'm hoping not having to spring for a new windshield altogether- though that's not completely off the table.

thanks

Heineken

Elite Member

Detrich

thanks for offering heineken... :) i did some more research online, and turns out the oem windshield isn't that expensive- about $60 and it's fastened with just 6 phillips screws. so, i just went ahead an ordered a new one from a socal reseller online...

i am curious tho... i wonder if the clear plastic scratch remover liquid is just a complete hoax, or if it actually works on other surfaces. it definitely doesn't work on our plastic windshields i guess... the scratches are so fine- yet the cleaner couldn't remove any of them... :shrugs:

mchury

thanks for offering heineken... :) i did some more research online, and turns out the oem windshield isn't that expensive- about $60 and it's fastened with just 6 phillips screws. so, i just went ahead an ordered a new one from a socal reseller online...
Just a tip. Becarefull when putting the stock screws back in because they have plastic heads and strip out very easy. I know from experience. The replacement screws from the dealer arent cheap either. I paid 12 dollars for 4 screws at my local shop :banghead:

Detrich

ack! thanks for the warning mchury... i ordered a couple of oem screws just in case i stripped them... yah, they are like $2 + change a piece. expensive!

is the windshield very easy to replace tho? ie it comes off easily and is easy to install?

thanks
d