Chevrolet Customer Service

husker525

Bear with me while I rant. My father retired from GM parts in the mid 80's, after 30 years in the Parts and Service departments. I grew up as a child, learning how to work the parts counter, doing some service advisor stuff, and learning the in's and out's of the automotive dealership. I made lot's of extra money, helping out in the dealerships. We always owned or drove all GM products, nothing else.

Later in life, I switched to Toyota's. I had a 90 mile commute one way to work, and bought Toyota Tacoma's. I put over 300,000 miles on one truck, changing a few belts, batteries, brakes, etc, but nothing more than regular maintenance. I owned 2 Tacoma's for a total of about 500,000 miles, with never one warranty issue, or broken part.

The downside was the power of the truck's small engines, and my growing family, was not conducive to pulling some large trailers on long trips. I had to up size to a full size Chevrolet Crew Cab, Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 gas engine.

The truck drove like a dream, and pulled whatever I needed it to.

The first week I owned it, the console latch came off in my hand, the first time I tried to use it. The dealership refused to warranty it. The outside temperature guage displayed in the rear view mirror, shows 20 degrees higher than what the actual temperature is. The passenger mirror fell off. The lower radiator air deflector fell off driving down the freeway, All were refused to be warrantied. I lived with some of the problems, and just called it a loss, after several discussions with GM. 2 months after owning my new truck, both rear shocks leaked, and I had not even loaded the box, or pulled a trailer, in fact, it was driven on the roads like a car.

Now, the final straw. It was -7 here, a blizzard, with 30 mph winds, and 8" of snow, causing 3-5 drifts in spots. I put my truck in Auto 4wd, and only had 2wd. I tried to switch back and forth, but the indicator stuck in Auto.

I called the dealership. They said not covered under warranty, and they charge a minimum of $98 for a 'diagnostic fee'. It would additionally cost parts and labor to repair the problem, once they did the diagnostic fee.My truck has 32,000 miles on it. I made the appointment, then had an inspiration to call OnStar from my truck.

They did their little on the fly diagnostic check, but had no way to monitor the transfer case, although he did say my truck showed that it did not have a software update for the ECU. He asked me to pull off the side of the road, shut off the truck for 2 minutes, and he would send the update, which would reflash the computer. He stayed with me on the line while he did this. After a couple of minutes, he said the update was sent, and to start my truck up. I did, and the problem with my 4wd was fixed! He just saved me at least $100 from the dealership. I was thinking of dumping OnStar, as I don't use their nav system, but for the money they just saved me, I might consider keeping them.

When my truck is paid off, I do not think I will be returning to GM products. I think Toyota is the way to go. (My friends have Ford Powerstroke diesels, but they have lots of motor and transmission related problems, and Dodges just don't ride smooth enough for me, but that is my opinion)

What happened to customer service?? Warranty work?? Why such a big deal to warranty defective things? The dealership gets paid from GM for warranty work, it is not like they are doing it for free! :mad:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Spunky99

55K on a 2004 Tacoma 4dr 4wd and replaced the battery and brakes.
They gave me the earlier 2003 smaller rotors as I had an early year model so the brakes wear a little quicker but I swapped to drilled/slotted rotors and make sure the rear brakes are adjusted. Still have the original rear shoes. I just have to order 2003 brake pads.

That's it...everything works like it should. Mileage is about 16 mpg on the street as it's 4.2 miles to work so it gets driven cold most of the time on commutes to work and about 22 mpg on the freeway.

I drive the FZ6R most of the time now anyway.

MikeN02

Thanks for the info. My mom actually has a tacoma and no problems that I know of. The only complaints I have about it is it's a fairly new model and she doesn't have power locks/alarm. Someone busted her driver side window and stole her purse.

If I were to ever get a cager I'd get something comfortable like a truck or an SUV

CDN6R

Now I have a '93 V6 Toyota Camry with 206,000 KMS on the speedo. Yes it is a bit old and it does work well BUT parts are God awful expensive. My car has rear disk brakes and the original backing plates rusted,resulting in the emergency brake shoes to malfunction. Nobody,and I mean nobody makes rear backing plates for a '93 v6 Camry and I had to get them from Toyota to get my car to pass saftey inspection,which was due soon. The cost? $425.00 EACH plus installation,which got done at a Mom/Pop Garage

bmw675

sounds more like a dealer problem than a chevy problem.

i have a 2010 f150 now with 8k miles no problems,
previous truck was a 2007 f150 that had 22k when i traded it in and it never seen the dealer after i drove it off the lot.

so although i can not speak highly of ford warranty resolutions, i can about their product.

Well, if you dig enough, you will see that each line up always has a few screwed up vehicles, but as far as customer service and warranty........I think you also got another raw deal! I bought my wife a new 2010 Chevy Traverse last year and have had no problems with the vehicle or customer service! Sounds like you just made out with a bad deal all around! Sucks man!

Detrich

Sorry to hear that u got a lemon :(. It's happened to our family b4 too. And, yes- it sucks. Hope u get it resolved somehow...

Stephenfz6r

Bear with me while I rant. My father retired from GM parts in the mid 80's, after 30 years in the Parts and Service departments. I grew up as a child, learning how to work the parts counter, doing some service advisor stuff, and learning the in's and out's of the automotive dealership. I made lot's of extra money, helping out in the dealerships. We always owned or drove all GM products, nothing else.

Later in life, I switched to Toyota's. I had a 90 mile commute one way to work, and bought Toyota Tacoma's. I put over 300,000 miles on one truck, changing a few belts, batteries, brakes, etc, but nothing more than regular maintenance. I owned 2 Tacoma's for a total of about 500,000 miles, with never one warranty issue, or broken part.

The downside was the power of the truck's small engines, and my growing family, was not conducive to pulling some large trailers on long trips. I had to up size to a full size Chevrolet Crew Cab, Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 gas engine.

The truck drove like a dream, and pulled whatever I needed it to.

The first week I owned it, the console latch came off in my hand, the first time I tried to use it. The dealership refused to warranty it. The outside temperature guage displayed in the rear view mirror, shows 20 degrees higher than what the actual temperature is. The passenger mirror fell off. The lower radiator air deflector fell off driving down the freeway, All were refused to be warrantied. I lived with some of the problems, and just called it a loss, after several discussions with GM. 2 months after owning my new truck, both rear shocks leaked, and I had not even loaded the box, or pulled a trailer, in fact, it was driven on the roads like a car.

Now, the final straw. It was -7 here, a blizzard, with 30 mph winds, and 8" of snow, causing 3-5 drifts in spots. I put my truck in Auto 4wd, and only had 2wd. I tried to switch back and forth, but the indicator stuck in Auto.

I called the dealership. They said not covered under warranty, and they charge a minimum of $98 for a 'diagnostic fee'. It would additionally cost parts and labor to repair the problem, once they did the diagnostic fee.My truck has 32,000 miles on it. I made the appointment, then had an inspiration to call OnStar from my truck.

They did their little on the fly diagnostic check, but had no way to monitor the transfer case, although he did say my truck showed that it did not have a software update for the ECU. He asked me to pull off the side of the road, shut off the truck for 2 minutes, and he would send the update, which would reflash the computer. He stayed with me on the line while he did this. After a couple of minutes, he said the update was sent, and to start my truck up. I did, and the problem with my 4wd was fixed! He just saved me at least $100 from the dealership. I was thinking of dumping OnStar, as I don't use their nav system, but for the money they just saved me, I might consider keeping them.

When my truck is paid off, I do not think I will be returning to GM products. I think Toyota is the way to go. (My friends have Ford Powerstroke diesels, but they have lots of motor and transmission related problems, and Dodges just don't ride smooth enough for me, but that is my opinion)

What happened to customer service?? Warranty work?? Why such a big deal to warranty defective things? The dealership gets paid from GM for warranty work, it is not like they are doing it for free! :mad:
Change dealerships, obviously the dealer you have now is useless. Call the local GM DSM( district service manager) and report them and demand that GM honor their warranty.:rant:

Y

yellowfz

Man that sucks , dealerships are so different .
Did not know OnStar had implemented the OTA updates yet , knew it was coming , thought service departments were still fighting to keep you coming in and have the TECII do the updated ECU flashes , guess they lost . :eek:
05 1500 HD , Comp cam 114 LSA , long tube headers , was running Custom OS Speed Density Tune , but decided to tryout the old MAF tune with Lean Cruise for a while .
Boost and I don't mean a phone company ! :D

CDN6R

My wife has a Pontiac Vibe (Yeah I know same as a toyota Matrix). Our GM dealer has been very good to us,yet I have heard some bad stories from other people who bought cars from the same dealer. I guess that sometimes it is how you approach a problem.(nothing against the OP) Once after a oil change and a inspection,done at our dealer,I noticed some engine oil in our driveway. Thinking that it was my 93 Camry leaking,I parked it on the side of the road to see if the leak persisted. Well it turned out that it was my wife's car that was leaking. After the car was serviced, the mechanic forgot to put the oil cap back on the valve cover and some oil was pumped out all over the engine hood and the engine its self. So I went to the dealer,told them what happened and asked for a refund for the oil I bought to top up the Vibe. Well,, they not only refunded me for the litre of oil I bought, they also shampooed the engine bay and gave us a free oil and filter change the next time it was due. They were very sorry that it happened and I thought treated us quite well.