Checking in, new girl on the forum

BA Worx

Hello everyone, my name is Sara and I just bought a 2011 FZ6R this past Friday and absolutely love it! This is my second bike, I started with a 1982 Yamaha Maxim XS400. It is currently my project bike, custom frame, new seat, modified tank, the whole gig. I thought that was fast, with all of 27HP to the rear wheel. Lets just say the FZ6R feels like riding a missile down the street. I plan to get more confident on the bike, eventually working my way up to track days. I have no doubt the bike is capable, I just need to catch up.

I am currently studying Mechanical Engineering and love to spend my free time (what little I have) in the garage customizing, painting, welding, and designing. With that being said, the bike will get a fair amount of work over time, but likely no power upgrades, its already wayyyy more than enough. On the way already are exhaust, wheel tape, adjustable levers, heated grips, and spare headlight to work on a retrofit. Custom paint will be done over next winter, unless I decide to buy a second set of plastics, paint them, and swap out over a weekend. The "Raven" scheme sure is sharp, but I'm not one to leave well enough alone. :eek:

I tend to lurk on the forums quite a bit, not posting unless I feel I have something unique to contribute. Great to meet everyone and I truly appreciate all the knowledge and experience already on the forum from riders much more experienced and knowledgeable than myself.

Ride on Ladies (and Gentlemen) !

Last edited:

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

Welome to the forum and your new bike Sara! I hadn't ridden in over 30 years when I bought this bike a few months ago, so it's been a great reuniting with the sport for me. My son has a SV650 so we really enjoy the rides, and the modding together.

I have found the riders on this forum to be very kind in offering advice and suggestions. I have learned a lot here.

Like you, initially I found the bike to be fast enough as is. However, as my diminished riding skills improved, I did find myself ringing it out quicker that I thought possible! This bike has a very flat power band relative to a lot of other sport bikes. That makes is a great street bike. I think you may find it a bit bland though as you get used to it. Power mods in my sig and what others have done oon this forum truly transform the bike. The only downside is it gets a lot louder. I like it, but some others may not.

Look forward to hearing about your progress, please post up as you go with pictures of your work... it's what keeps this forum alive!

What exhaust did you get?

Cheers,

Rob

djunglew

"Custom paint will be done over next winter, unless I decide to buy a second set of plastics, paint them, and swap out over a weekend. The "Raven" scheme sure is sharp, but I'm not one to leave well enough alone. :eek:"

I would recommend getting the extra set. Paint work is very detailed! Save the originals for if you sell it down the road. I have a front fender you could have to practice on. Just needs a little Bondo. [emoji6]

BA Worx

What exhaust did you get?

Cheers,

Rob
I ordered the Delkevic system with the 13" tri-oval muffler. I spent a few days listening to different setups and the sound (sooooo good ;)) it offered was just too good to pass up. The price was very appealing, though for the right sound and style, price is almost irrelevant. And I get what you are saying about the power becoming more "normal" and over time, less exciting. After riding the FZ around over the weekend, I hopped in my eclipse (engine swap, limited slip, just about everything possible short of forced induction) and it was suddenly slow. Speed and excitement are a relative thing. For now though, I would like to master the power already available before adding more power, and thus more of a challenge. When I started looking for a new bike, I initially planned on a Ninja 300, something modest that I can ride closer to its limits, even if they are not as far of a distance away. But as my brother often pointed out, reaching the limits on something less capable feels good, but then I just want a bigger challenge. I ultimately decided on a non super-sport 600 as a "middle ground".

djunglew, I am looking to find an unpainted set for a good price. It seems like a bit of a waste to spend $500-$600 for a painted set when I fully intend to sand them down and spray my base,mid-coat and clear-coat. I figure if/when I sell it I will simply offer 2 sets of fairings and offer to respray for a custom color if the buyer prefers something different. I have been spraying paint for the last 5 years or so and have come to learn that when a custom color is used, it limits the market of buyers as "one-off" is not what everyone wants. My eclipse, for example, is white pearl with blue ghost pearl over top. It is a love it or hate it color. The engine in my Saturn is violet ghost pearl over gold, very unique color, but it makes people either grin or grimace when they see it.

Last edited:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

djunglew

djunglew, I am looking to find an unpainted set for a good price. It seems like a bit of a waste to spend $500-$600 for a painted set when I fully intend to sand them down and spray my base,mid-coat and clear-coat. I figure if/when I sell it I will simply offer 2 sets of fairings and offer to respray for a custom color if the buyer prefers something different. I have been spraying paint for the last 5 years or so and have come to learn that when a custom color is used, it limits the market of buyers as "one-off" is not what everyone wants. My eclipse, for example, is white pearl with blue ghost pearl over top. It is a love it or hate it color. The engine in my Saturn is violet ghost pearl over gold, very unique color, but it makes people either grin or grimace when they see it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. Post some pictures when you do!

BA Worx

It's a biker thing...

Just a quick update:

Been riding the bike just about every day I can. It has become my primary mode of transportation unless I am running errands. About 4 months and change into owning it and I've got a hair over 3000 miles on it. Can't say enough about how fun this bike is ( I mean, omg clip-ons). Sure, something a little faster would be nice. I am already eyeing my next bike, but that won't be anytime soon. Or maybe it will. Lol, we will see.

Along with miles come maintenance and mods and there has been a little of each. Fluids and filters were changed the first weekend and checked daily in my pre-ride inspection. Chain and tires, sprockets, bulbs and the list goes on. Changed the exhaust, clips-ons, paint and a few other little "tweaks" to make it my own. :eek:

Next modification, and something the bike desperately needs, is the "rider mod" so to speak. Although I have put some decent miles on the bike, my abilities still pale in comparison to abilities of the bike. I have ordered a track suit (and back protector, and armored shorts ...)and looking for the last few things to be "ready" for a day at the track. The goal is not to drag a knee, but learn to connect with the bike and make it an extension of myself. Learn how to really use throttle control, and shifting my weight, to control the momentum and speed of the bike. In all the miles I've been on it, those are the moments I truly love.

For now, here are a few pictures of how it started and where it is at currently.

IMG_20180309_133524.jpg
First day in the garage

IMG_20180501_203855.jpg
2 months and 1200 miles later

20180710_145700.jpg
20180710_145525.jpg
Present day. I like to say it's "mostly stock"....:cool::cool:
-Sara

Last edited:

MrFrzZ

Just a quick update:

Snip
Track riding may become and addiction, so beware. There's nowhere safer to ride your bike. I had my first TD back in May in Georgia and I'm hooked. My wife is going with me in August again and we're getting her gear acquired and ready. Find a control rider and get them to get eyes on you as much as you can. They'll be a tremendous help and will give you pointers as well as encouragement.

Went to Road Atlanta last weekend to help "pit crew" for a couple friends and saw an FZ6R. The kid was riding at a good pace in his group, but he was barely moving on the bike. Lead the bike under you and let it flow smoothly and loosely. Touching down a knee isnt a goal - its a result. I didnt get mine down on the first day, although I was using just about all of the tire. That tells me I need to be off the bike a little more, carrying more speed, and trusting the bike more.

Good luck!

Attached track proof below

Attachments

sti491

GREAT JOB Sara!

Just a quick update:

Been riding the bike just about every day I can. It has become my primary mode of transportation unless I am running errands. About 4 months and change into owning it and I've got a hair over 3000 miles on it. Can't say enough about how fun this bike is ( I mean, omg clip-ons). Sure, something a little faster would be nice. I am already eyeing my next bike, but that won't be anytime soon. Or maybe it will. Lol, we will see.

Along with miles come maintenance and mods and there has been a little of each. Fluids and filters were changed the first weekend and checked daily in my pre-ride inspection. Chain and tires, sprockets, bulbs and the list goes on. Changed the exhaust, clips-ons, paint and a few other little "tweaks" to make it my own. :eek:

Next modification, and something the bike desperately needs, is the "rider mod" so to speak. Although I have put some decent miles on the bike, my abilities still pale in comparison to abilities of the bike. I have ordered a track suit (and back protector, and armored shorts ...)and looking for the last few things to be "ready" for a day at the track. The goal is not to drag a knee, but learn to connect with the bike and make it an extension of myself. Learn how to really use throttle control, and shifting my weight, to control the momentum and speed of the bike. In all the miles I've been on it, those are the moments I truly love.

For now, here are a few pictures of how it started and where it is at currently.

View attachment 40031
First day in the garage

View attachment 40032
2 months and 1200 miles later

View attachment 40033
View attachment 40034
Present day. I like to say it's "mostly stock"....:cool::cool:
-Sara

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

DannyByrd

Hello everyone, my name is Sara and I just bought a 2011 FZ6R this past Friday and absolutely love it! This is my second bike, I started with a 1982 Yamaha Maxim XS400. It is currently my project bike, custom frame, new seat, modified tank, the whole gig. I thought that was fast, with all of 27HP to the rear wheel. Lets just say the FZ6R feels like riding a missile down the street. I plan to get more confident on the bike, eventually working my way up to track days. I have no doubt the bike is capable, I just need to catch up.

I am currently studying Mechanical Engineering and love to spend my free time (what little I have) in the garage customizing, painting, welding, and designing. With that being said, the bike will get a fair amount of work over time, but likely no power upgrades, its already wayyyy more than enough. On the way already are exhaust, wheel tape, adjustable levers, heated grips, and spare headlight to work on a retrofit. Custom paint will be done over next winter, unless I decide to buy a second set of plastics, paint them, and swap out over a weekend. The "Raven" scheme sure is sharp, but I'm not one to leave well enough alone. :eek:

I tend to lurk on the forums quite a bit, not posting unless I feel I have something unique to contribute. Great to meet everyone and I truly appreciate all the knowledge and experience already on the forum from riders much more experienced and knowledgeable than myself.

Congratulations, How did you find the performance and experience ?

Fabes_movin

Welcome to the group.