Check Oil Warning Light On & Off?

Detrich

Something odd happened when I was leaving the bike meet tonight.... When shifting into 3rd or 4th gear at around 7000rpms, the check engine oil warning light came on intermittently a few times. And, then it went away. This only happened for the first 10 minutes or so, and after that the light never came back on... I even rode around for another 45 min too...

Ambient temperature was 52* F, and I had already rode the bike to the meet. It was parked outside and it was kinda chilly, but the engine wasn't totally cold, I don't think... Another weird observation is that I only rode for about 50 miles on my trip meter, and I burned up 1/2 a tank of gas? I've been riding a combo of streets & freeways, and I shift at around 6000 or 7000 rpm usually...

Am wondering if I simply need to add oil to the bike or if something else weirdo is going on... This is the first time this has happened...

Anyone else experience this before or know what the cause is?

Detrich

PS. I found this info in the manual... But, even if the manual says it's normal, why am I getting such crappy gas mileage?

Page 4-2: [Check Engine Oil Warning Light Behavior]
"TIP_
* Even if the oil level is sufficient, the warning light may flicker when riding on a slope or during sudden acceleration or deceleration, but this is not a malfunction."

Page 7-13: [How to check engine oil]

Page 9-1: [Engine oil type : regular, non-synthetic]
* Yamalube 4 10W-40 or 20W-50 -OR-
* SAE 10W-40 or 20W-50

MikeN02

Check your tires, with the temperature drop tires tend to drop in psi hence your crappy gas mileage.

JSP

Super Moderator
I've never had the oil light flicker on and off no matter how steep or sudden stop/accel...

Check your oil level? Remember to check it while the bike is upright, and not on its side stand. Also do not thread the dip stick in, just take it out and put it in without threading it to check level. You prob already know this just makin sure... ;)

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

raven6

Something odd happened when I was leaving the bike meet tonight.... When shifting into 3rd or 4th gear at around 7000rpms, the check engine oil warning light came on intermittently a few times. And, then it went away. This only happened for the first 10 minutes or so, and after that the light never came back on... I even rode around for another 45 min too...

Ambient temperature was 52* F, and I had already rode the bike to the meet. It was parked outside and it was kinda chilly, but the engine wasn't totally cold, I don't think... Another weird observation is that I only rode for about 50 miles on my trip meter, and I burned up 1/2 a tank of gas? I've been riding a combo of streets & freeways, and I shift at around 6000 or 7000 rpm usually...

Am wondering if I simply need to add oil to the bike or if something else weirdo is going on... This is the first time this has happened...

Anyone else experience this before or know what the cause is?
it's a sign for you to trade it in on an R6.... :D

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Detrich

i did accelerate a bit hard when the warning light came on. (trying to keep up with my crazy friends... lol one of these days i'll be able to...) and, after i rode around for 45 minutes, i went to get gas, checked the LED with the key on "on" position, started it back up, and still- the warning light never came back on... so, i felt somewhat better about it.

i totally forgot about the tire pressure- i think it's been a month or so since i checked it. so, that's a good reminder. i'll go pick up some Yamalube after work today... (sounds like some sort of japanese sex lubricant- hahahaha. wonder why they dont' just call it Yamaha oil- ie like how mazda calls their oil, Mazda rotary oil.)

thanks for all the feedback everyone. helps a lot. :)

Roaddawg

i did accelerate a bit hard when the warning light came on. (trying to keep up with my crazy friends... lol one of these days i'll be able to...) and, after i rode around for 45 minutes, i went to get gas, checked the LED with the key on "on" position, started it back up, and still- the warning light never came back on... so, i felt somewhat better about it.

i totally forgot about the tire pressure- i think it's been a month or so since i checked it. so, that's a good reminder. i'll go pick up some Yamalube after work today... (sounds like some sort of japanese sex lubricant- hahahaha. wonder why they dont' just call it Yamaha oil- ie like how mazda calls their oil, Mazda rotary oil.)

thanks for all the feedback everyone. helps a lot. :)
A month or so!?!?:spank: You gotta check that more often. That's your lifeline to the road. I check it once a week...minimum.

raven6

A month or so!?!?:spank: You gotta check that more often. That's your lifeline to the road. I check it once a week...minimum.
+1.... once a week at least

Detrich

well, when i first got the bike i used to check the tire pressure every week... but, it never seem to change- at all... LOL so, that's why i only hard check it once a month and visual it each time b4 riding... but, i'll check it more now that i've noticed mpg changes

Detrich

ok, did a few things...

checked my tire pressure, and it was still normal. cold around 32 front, 36 rear. i filled it up slightly so it was 34 front, 38 rear. not much difference.

checked my engine oil after starting it up & warming engine idling for 5-10 min, then waited 5-10 min for it to settle. put the bike upright, checked the dipstick, and the oil WAS indeed very low. it was still within the acceptable range, but just on the low level line. so, i added about 1/2 a quart of Yamalube 10W-40 and re-checked it again. and, then it was at the top line of the dipstick.

it's raining so i'll have to wait til next week to report on the difference. but, i think maybe the low engine oil might have contributed to the lousy mileage? :headscratch:?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Detrich

Thanks Dart!

MikeN02

Wait so you'r oil is high?

You don't want that, you want it between the lower and top mark, right in the middle.

Detrich

no no no... it was really low- ie barely making the low mark. so, i put in about 1/2 a quart and now it's around the high mark.

the manual says anywhere between the low & high mark is ok... i didn't know that yamaha engines burned oil until now, as i'm accustomed to adding about 1/2 quart to my mazda every 7 or 800 miles...

i don't think that i overfilled it. but, would i be able to know or tell that i did- ie what are the symptoms?

i don't think i could've overfilled very much if i did... i could just use a liquid drop dispenser to siphon some out i suppose... but, on the rx-8 if i accidentally over fill it, then i just 9000rpm the shit out of it a couple times to burn up some oil... which it DOES... lol ok, i'm itching for a canyon run again... between driving and riding my gasoline bill this month is way up...

Last edited:

MikeN02

i don't think that i overfilled it. but, would i be able to know or tell that i did- ie what are the symptoms?
Amsoil Dealer Group said:
Overfilling can cause blown seals and oil consumption..

The proper quantity IS in every manual..

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
bikeman said:
I can't say I agree with some, and do with others. In my professional opinion, too much oil is just as bad as too little. It'll hit the crank counterweights causing air bubbles to form in the oil and subsequent air back into the oil system and components - THIS IS BAD. Too low and it can cavitate the pump and even worse air. I think the best oil level is in the middle. Now to check it properly, you must run the bike until pressure builds after it's changed, to fill the filter and nooks and crannies. Then the dipstick is to be unscrewed, wiped and reinserted but NOT SCREWED IN with the bike perfectly level and upright. It's best to check it cold, atleast 10min after running it. This way the oil can drip from the head and crank back into the cases. You'll find that if you check it right away then again after 10min, it can rise as much as 1/2 litre in some vehicles (this info applies to cars as well).
Bikes are different than cars. My idiot friend who doesn't know a thing about motorcycles bought a used Harley since he's into cruisers. Put car oil into his bike and that thing went up in flames as he was riding it.

JSP

Super Moderator
If it is in the thatch it is fine... dont worry about it being too much oil... I put it right to the full line (top of thatch)in any and all of my vehicles. You would have to be WAY over the thatch top to have any issues... I wont ever let it get below the middle of the thatch mark. So I am always between 1/2 and max. You are fine.

Detrich

Bikes are different than cars. My idiot friend who doesn't know a thing about motorcycles bought a used Harley since he's into cruisers. Put car oil into his bike and that thing went up in flames as he was riding it.
Dang that sux.