Changing the timing

Rumpig

The nub ended up being 0.158" so near enough to 0.040". Definitely noticeable down low just not as obvious when every gear change is 11 000rpm., the +1 front sprocket probably dulls it a bit, other mods are cut the arse out of the airbox and Danmoto shorty + the EJK. Got the FZ6 cams to go in yet, cr10 plugs and 2 short velocity stacks to swap in, last will be a clutch upgrade.

Where the Ign advance really shows up is 3rd gear and up which isn't all "retarded" (lack of better words) like 1st & 2nd. On the FZ, they clearly detuned 1 & 2 and an ignition module would be great or ECU flash.

Be sure to take the time and degree them in. You will need dial indicator and a degree wheel plus the applicable hardware to hold them.
Even the race shops turn bikes out after slotting the oem cam sprockets for +/-4° changes...

Marthy has posted values that helped and those would be a good starting place. Also i made an Excel spreadsheet to aid in valve lash adjustment. Much easier to work with than a chart. Its on the other forum.

Do they make an ignition advance module for the R?

Rumpig

Where the Ign advance really shows up is 3rd gear and up which isn't all "retarded" (lack of better words) like 1st & 2nd. On the FZ, they clearly detuned 1 & 2 and an ignition module would be great or ECU flash.

Be sure to take the time and degree them in. You will need dial indicator and a degree wheel plus the applicable hardware to hold them.
Even the race shops turn bikes out after slotting the oem cam sprockets for +/-4° changes...

Marthy has posted values that helped and those would be a good starting place. Also i made an Excel spreadsheet to aid in valve lash adjustment. Much easier to work with than a chart. Its on the other forum.

Do they make an ignition advance module for the R?
I've bought the gear for it and have bookmarked all the threads too, i'lle sure to triple check everything, I got plenty of time. It gets to the 12 500 rpm limiter pretty quick now.

tonofun

How did you get on with this afterwards Rumpig?

I wouldn't be very confident trying to modify that trigger wheel myself, but I'd be more than happy to pay some £'s / $'s to someone to supply me with one - I'm sure I could fit it easily enough. And that way if anything's amiss, I can just swap back to stock.

I have only ever put 'premium' grade fuel (98/99 RON, UK) in the bike excepting a handful of occasions, so that's not something I would need to get used to either.

Rumpig

Finalimpacts thread has all the info and it's pretty basic to do , you just need accurate vernier callipers. Improves the bottom end, no difference up high.

Finalimpacts thread has all the info and it's pretty basic to do , you just need accurate vernier callipers. Improves the bottom end, no difference up high.
Did you put the FZ cams in your R?

Im on the fence about putting R6 cams in the FZ as most end up loosing midrange but as I know it, no one has degreed them. Just tossed them in staright up.
Also from the R6 the cams are easily 1/2 the mass compared to cast FZ cams.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
You might end up with too much lift on the exhaust cam with the R6's. I had to leave the valve a bit on the loose side of the tolerance to keep 0.040" gap before the valve cap bottom out on the valve guide.

Im not saying it wont work but triple check clearances...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
R6 and FZ6 Exhaust lift #### and spring PN's are identical. The intake however does have more lift and different springs!

No one has had clearance issues yet but again, all were put in straight up as is vs degreeing them. And Im not sure to what detail they checked piston to valve clearance.

I'm intimidated by the flatspot or dip dead smack in thr middle of the powerband at 6k! But degreeing the cams could make this moot point!

// sorry about the thread jack!!!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Rumpig

Did you put the FZ cams in your R?

Im on the fence about putting R6 cams in the FZ as most end up loosing midrange but as I know it, no one has degreed them. Just tossed them in staright up.
Also from the R6 the cams are easily 1/2 the mass compared to cast FZ cams.
Yeah I did the swap, Yamaha should of used them originally, much better mid and top end. The dip at 6500 rpm with the r6 cams does look horrid and I reckon you'd miss the midrange, try degreeing the originals first.
I'm looking at getting the gear to remap too. I'll let you know how I go.

Bruno

My bike:

FZ6 camshaft, camshaft sprockets and cam chain
Stiffer intake valve springs
Remaped ECU (more 2.000RPM for rev limit, way too much by the way)
PCV and autotune
92hp on rear wheel

tonofun

My bike:

FZ6 camshaft, camshaft sprockets and cam chain
Stiffer intake valve springs
Remaped ECU (more 2.000RPM for rev limit, way too much by the way)
PCV and autotune
92hp on rear wheel
Dude, that's pretty impressive ;)

Bruno

What valve springs did you use Bruno? I was planning on adding 1 000 rpm.

Exhaust R6 (07+) for my intake... As the FZ6R (Different from most bikes) uses the same springs on the smaller (And consequently lighter) exhaust valves, i decided to keep exhaust springs... I think R6 (07+) intake springs would work perfectly too, it would make 2kgf more at max lift than the R6 exhaust ones (And 12kgf than the FZ6R ones) on the FZ6R intake with FZ6 camshaft... Intalled force (Valves closed) would be virtually the same (Around 15kgf) for the 3 (FZ6R, R6 exhaust and R6 intake)... Ohhhh, important to mention, R6 springs before 2006 won't work... Intake are dual (You would need to check closely for compatibility, and at least, replace valve seats, maybe locks and etc., for the dual springs setup)... And the exhaust ones would coil bind, believe me, i forgot to consider that and bought them... Thankfuly i compressed and measured before installing, but i lost some money though :( ...

Last edited:

ST3RL0

Exhaust R6 (07+) for my intake... As the FZ6R (Different from most bikes) uses the same springs on the smaller (And consequently lighter) exhaust valves, i decided to keep exhaust springs... I think R6 (07+) intake springs would work perfectly too, it would make 2kgf more at max lift than the R6 exhaust ones (And 12kgf than the FZ6R ones) on the FZ6R intake with FZ6 camshaft... Intalled force (Valves closed) would be virtually the same (Around 15kgf) for the 3 (FZ6R, R6 exhaust and R6 intake)... Ohhhh, important to mention, R6 springs before 2006 won't work... Intake are dual (You would need to check closely for compatibility, and at least, replace valve seats, maybe locks and etc., for the dual springs setup)... And the exhaust ones would coil bind, believe me, i forgot to consider that and bought them... Thankfuly i compressed and measured before installing, but i lost some money though :( ...
With the higher rev limit, it makes sense as to put heavier valve springs in (makes you wonder why the fz6 springs are the same as the fz6r)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bruno

With the higher rev limit, it makes sense as to put heavier valve springs in (makes you wonder why the fz6 springs are the same as the fz6r)

They are not the same at all!!!! Both intake and exhaust springs are stiffer on the FZ6 (On the intake, i'm talking about the force sum of inner and outer springs), making way more force at max lift...

ST3RL0

They are not the same at all!!!! Both intake and exhaust springs are stiffer on the FZ6 (On the intake, i'm talking about the force sum of inner and outer springs), making way more force at max lift...
Learnt something new in that case, because I've been running the fz6 head in my fz6r for the past year.

Bruno

Learnt something new in that case, because I've been running the fz6 head in my fz6r for the past year.

Yeah... Valve spring swap is a big improvement to go along camshaft swap im my opinion... To be honest, it was the mod i felf the most... And interestingly, the biggest improvement i feel (On my butt dyno this time) is in the low and mid range...

ST3RL0

Yeah... Valve spring swap is a big improvement to go along camshaft swap im my opinion... To be honest, it was the mod i felf the most... And interestingly, the biggest improvement i feel (On my butt dyno this time) is in the low and mid range...
Cams are the best bang for buck to be honest.