Chain too Tight?

DakinechicK

Is my chain WAY too tight from the looks of it in this pic? I don't want to wear through my sprockets quickly like that, if it is. How long would they last if I didn't adjust it? Would the ride feel any different?

Please help as I am not sure. I think I know how to adjust it, but unless it will wear through the sprockets super fast, I don't think I will do anything to change it..... Unless of course it helps in some drastic way.

WhiteFZ

Looks too tight to me. The chain is supposed to bow down and form a smile.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member
Last edited:
F

FZ6R_Blue

Is my chain WAY too tight from the looks of it in this pic? I don't want to wear through my sprockets quickly like that, if it is. How long would they last if I didn't adjust it? Would the ride feel any different?

Please help as I am not sure. I think I know how to adjust it, but unless it will wear through the sprockets super fast, I don't think I will do anything to change it..... Unless of course it helps in some drastic way.

It will wear on the sprockets faster and also it wears really hard on the engine. and in extreme situations the chain being pulled to tight like that can cause the chain to snap. check your Manual for chain free play and make sure its in range.

JSP

Super Moderator
Forget the look of it, measure the slack...

And like stated above, it will not only wear your sprockets, it can damage your engine. It will put way too much stress on the front sprocket shaft which is bad.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

DakinechicK

Yeah it's lowered and the chain wasn't adjusted. I'll look into it... thanks guys.

Marthy... you're on my list now! LoL. :rolleyes:

FastFreddy

That is too tight, don't even ride around the block until you readjust.
I know, I've done it too tight before, the sprockets wore quickly after that.

You'll hear the chain grinding away immediately like that.

Nice Gixxer BTW. I bet she handles sweet.

yfz6r

It's better to have a chain that is too loose than too tight. I keep mine really loose, which isn't a problem unless you like to punch it from cruising, which jerks the chain very hard.

Hit a hard bump with the chain too tight, you might see oil pouring out the side of your engine.

JimmyC

A good rule of thumb If it looks like its too loose to you, its probably is ok, make sure it is smiling.

The Slack allows the rear suspension to move freely through its whole range of motion without the chain tightening up and or and binding , it needs a decent amount of slack. That usually equates to about 1-1.5 inches measured 1/2-way down the swing arm.(Check manual for specific requirements) If you can easily touch the bottom of the swing arm with the chain that's usually good enough.

JSP

Super Moderator
If you can touch the swingarm with your chain that is way too loose....

At least on my R6 there is no way in hell I could touch it. Cannot remember the FZ, but I really do not think I ever could with proper slack... Of course the swingarms are different designs but still. Too loose can be just as bad. We had a member have the chain come off while riding.

Keep the slack in the recommended range! Simple as that. No other general rules of thumb, smiling, touching swingarm, etc. Proper slack. Just do it.

You measure slack by pressing down and then up on the chain. That is your distance. Not just up.

Last edited:

Superzoom

+1

Why not just measure the slack correctly? Takes about five seconds.

If you can touch the swingarm with your chain that is way too loose....

At least on my R6 there is no way in hell I could touch it. Too loose can be just as bad. We had a member have the chain come off while riding.

Keep the slack in the recommended range! Simple as that. No other general rules of thumb, smiling, etc. Proper slack. Just do it.

You measure slack by pressing down and then up on the chain. That is your distance. Not just up.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdsdave

So if the chain slack range is 45 to 55mm then when you press down and then up on the chain it should move up and down at least 45mm but no more than 55mm.

Deathdiesel

Hey guys I know this is an old thread, but im having an issue finding a concrete awnser. I have around 1.75-2.0" slack in my chain, is this too much? Yet my chain doesnt really droop at all, like some of the above are saying.

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Bloke

Be sure to measure it right too.

On the European and Australian XJ6 series of bikes with the center stand that comes as standard with the bike the manual says you must measure chain slack whilst using the centre stand. On the fz6r I'm pretty sure it says side stand.

A side stand measure loads the rear swing arm, a centre stand doesn't so there is a dramatic difference in measurement.

BoneJj

Be sure to measure it right too.

On the European and Australian XJ6 series of bikes with the center stand that comes as standard with the bike the manual says you must measure chain slack whilst using the centre stand. On the fz6r I'm pretty sure it says side stand.

A side stand measure loads the rear swing arm, a centre stand doesn't so there is a dramatic difference in measurement.
Sometimes you can get away with having the bike up on a rear stand as well but it's debatable. Best way is to measure while as the book states and then again on a rear stand to see the difference.