Chain and Sprokets

Koolerb

I picked up an 09 FZ6R this week, 20K miles. It needs rear tire, chain, and sprockets. I'm assuming the 16 front, 46 rear is the stock setup because they are worn out. This thing feels like its really revving at 65MPH. Pulls plenty hard for me down low currently. I wouldn't mind trading a little pull for lower revs at highway speeds. Any advice from people with experience that have experimented would be appreciated. Also any brand advice, I'm looking at Vortex 520 right now and a DID chain. There is a huge price differential in chains.

Last edited:

Rumpig

I think 1 tooth up on the front sprocket is 6 percent , 3 teeth down on the rear is 6 percent. On a standard bike 6% is about all you want before it starts to kill off the bottom end. Here's a calculator and the gear and tyre sizes for the 6R.

Attachments

Koolerb

Thinking a 17 on the front would be all I'd do, but I tend to lean towards keeping things stock. Going back and forth on this a bit. Thank you sir.

milepig

My wife's been running +1 on the front for years. A little less buzzy, plus I think it made the speedo a little more accurate.

tdnathens

I also purchased a plus one for my front sprocket. Makes my speedo right on and keeps revs down on the interstate. I don't notice any difference taking off. I just don't have to shift as quick is the only difference I noticed.
Tom

Koolerb

Placed my parts order last night. Now I just have to figure out how to support the bike. I pulled off one side of the fairing thinking I'd find a spot to put supports and I didn't see anything. If anyone has any tried and true methods I'd be interested.

Jerzee55

Placed my parts order last night. Now I just have to figure out how to support the bike. I pulled off one side of the fairing thinking I'd find a spot to put supports and I didn't see anything. If anyone has any tried and true methods I'd be interested.
A paddock stand with paddles that slip under the swing arm... Probably easiest if you want the rear wheel up off the ground, since you will need to adjust the chain length after you install the new one...

Half-Click Up

I’ve been using this Venom setup for 7 years. Best deal out there:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPORT-BIKE-MOTORCYCLE-WHEEL-LIFT-STAND-FRONT-FORK-REAR-SWINGARM-PADDLE-COMBO-/403007162388?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Jerzee55

I also use that system, and it works great. They also have a Combo package that includes a triple tree lift attachment for the front end, which makes it easier to remove the front wheel / forks if you need to do that. You can always get the triple tree attachment later separately if you find you need it. :) It is also a great way to keep the bike up off of the ground if you 'store it away' over winter time.

Koolerb

I grabbed a PitBull rear stand and a set of spools off Craiglist for $85. Jackpot! But when I got home and looked at my swingarm there's no place to screw in spools. I'm guessing holes need to be drilled? Are you guys using spools or just supporting from under the swingarm? I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling my swingarm.

Half-Click Up

I grabbed a PitBull rear stand and a set of spools off Craiglist for $85. Jackpot! But when I got home and looked at my swingarm there's no place to screw in spools. I'm guessing holes need to be drilled? Are you guys using spools or just supporting from under the swingarm? I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling my swingarm.
This is why PitBull stands don't work for our bikes. You specifically need a "paddle" type rear stand that holds the bike by its swingarm.

If you really want to keep your PitBull stand, you can shell out another $70 and install the T-Rex Spool Adapters:
https://www.t-rex-racing.com/2009-2017-FZ6R-Spool-Adapters-p/n67-9sa.htm

milepig

This is why PitBull stands don't work for our bikes. You specifically need a "paddle" type rear stand that holds the bike by its swingarm.

If you really want to keep your PitBull stand, you can shell out another $70 and install the T-Rex Spool Adapters:
https://www.t-rex-racing.com/2009-2017-FZ6R-Spool-Adapters-p/n67-9sa.htm
This is what we put on FZ6r. Had to do a little filing to get a good fit, not a big deal, just something you may have to do if you go this route.

DannyByrd

I picked up an 09 FZ6R this week, 20K miles. It needs rear tire, chain, and sprockets. I'm assuming the 16 front, 46 rear is the stock setup because they are worn out. This thing feels like its really revving at 65MPH. Pulls plenty hard for me down low currently. I wouldn't mind trading a little pull for lower revs at highway speeds. Any advice from people with experience that have experimented would be appreciated. Also any brand advice, I'm looking at Vortex 520 right now and a DID chain. There is a huge price differential in chains.
Would this https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/vortex-yamaha-fz-6r-11-17-v3-chain-and-sprocket-kit/ be good fit?
And you'll find more information here: https://www.600cc.org/threads/sprocket-change-help-pls.33100/

Koolerb

I bought the swingarm attachment for the PitBull stand, worked well. Everything installed, +1T front, stock chainring rear. I didn't have a chain breaker though and installed the 120 link chain just to see how it fit. Axle is toward the rear of the adjustment, one and a half notches left. Just pushed the master link on to hold it together while I decide what to do. I'll probably pull it off tomorrow and remove at least one link.

Last edited:

Den Barrett

I ben searching for the best sprocket combo for my FZ6R for highway touring & fuel economy on very long trips. Any suggestions? (I am running the stock sprockets atm.

milepig

I ben searching for the best sprocket combo for my FZ6R for highway touring & fuel economy on very long trips. Any suggestions? (I am running the stock sprockets atm.
I'd just start with +1 on the front for now and see how that feels to you. Stock chain will fit it fine. BTW, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

itsagivens

T-REX Racing makes a bolt on spool kit for the FZ6R, I use them works great!