Cartridge fork emulators / RaceTech Gold Valves

SAFE-T

THATS WHY I USE HYPERPRO SPRINGS . there not straight rate springs . soft @first then stiffer as you need them
Hyperpro Suspension Upgrade Review
This kind of thing drives the suspension tuners bananas. Especially the ones that focus on valving to control the way the suspension works.

For the street, I think you need progressively wound springs since the weight of the bike varies (solo vs. rider and passenger) and the street is a lot bumpier than any racetrack. Besides, getting the suspension "just right" is answering the wrong question for most street riders. If you really need the suspension THAT GOOD because you ride THAT FAST, get thee to a racetrackery. Post haste.

Disclosure: I actually have Ohlins Road and Track forks and rear shock on my '99VFR800, and it's AWESOME at 220km/h when you're going through a turn and you hit a bump and the bike just shrugs it off. But I don't regularly ride like this, and at normal speeds the Ohlins feels...disappointingly normal.

hfd1 tuner

Update after track days. Well the ft end is way better short term but as the oil heats up it gets mushy still:surrender: Guess it just needs the r6s ft end bolted to her but then where do I say track bike she is not made for:) Still had a blast at Barber turned some mild 1:46 lap time in the novice group where passing is only allowed on the outside.

Chucker

It's been a while since I've seen much on suspension upgrades. Those of you that have upgraded, how is that working out and would you recommend doing what you've done or would you do something different? I'd like to upgrade, primarily the front, and would like some education before making a decision.

Thanks in advance.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

wtnotch

I started out with the Race Tech springs and Gold Valve in the front, and an upgraded Eibach spring in the rear. I'm still running the Gold Valve in the front, but switched the springs over to Hyperpro progressives to match the progressive spring on the Hyperpro shock that I'm running on the back.

On the street, the bike is much more 'planted' now and the ride is greatly improved. I have a friend that has stock suspension on his 2010 FZ6R and any time I question whether I should have spend the money on the upgrades, all I have to do ride his bike :) There's really no comparison.

Russ

Chucker

I started out with the Race Tech springs and Gold Valve in the front, and an upgraded Eibach spring in the rear. I'm still running the Gold Valve in the front, but switched the springs over to Hyperpro progressives to match the progressive spring on the Hyperpro shock that I'm running on the back.

On the street, the bike is much more 'planted' now and the ride is greatly improved. I have a friend that has stock suspension on his 2010 FZ6R and any time I question whether I should have spend the money on the upgrades, all I have to do ride his bike :) There's really no comparison.

Russ
So did you notice a big difference when you changed your springs from Race Tech to Hyperpro? I would think the Hyperpro might give a better ride with improved handling over stock, but I would think the handling during hard riding through the twisties would be better with the Race Tech, but with a harsher ride. Is that what you experienced?

I think I'm definitely going to go with the Race Tech emulators and new springs for the front, just have to decide which ones. I'll do the rears and add the Gold Valve kit afterwards if it feels like it needs it.

stuna

i have had hypers in my front for a long time , the work well all around:wav:
you just dont know how bad stock is :eek:

Jots S.R.M.C.

I've got the race tec set up..

It's bad ass.. think im riding on 7 or 8 in the back and with these emulators adjusted for my weight 190 and riding style

I actually don't drag my pegs untill I put a knee down - or I don't and just scrape.. but I've been able to change my body postion around to avoid it.. but it still happens.. certain cork screws hit that suspension and the pegs scrape

When I first bought the bike and broke it in / tire scrub to see what they and the bike were capable of - I was SCRAPING the crap out of them..

I encourage any advanced rider or intermediate to go for suspension upgrades with the racetec fork emulators / springs

even for anyone learning to go faster If you havent scraped the pegs before.. your first time could scare you.. and cause u to jerk the front forks and that could be bad.. so go safe- if u go fast- go with race tec

wtnotch

So did you notice a big difference when you changed your springs from Race Tech to Hyperpro? I would think the Hyperpro might give a better ride with improved handling over stock, but I would think the handling during hard riding through the twisties would be better with the Race Tech, but with a harsher ride. Is that what you experienced?
Yep, that pretty much nails it. There wasn't a really big difference changing over to the Hyperpro springs on the fork, but it did balance the bike out more since the rear shock has a progressive spring as well.

Russ

Jots S.R.M.C.

man for me made a HELL Of a difference..

OF course before I couldn't adjust anything.. Now my bike suspension is SET for ME..

no "bouncy" front end.. it feels like a REAL setup race bike suspension wise

Chucker

man for me made a HELL Of a difference..

OF course before I couldn't adjust anything.. Now my bike suspension is SET for ME..

no "bouncy" front end.. it feels like a REAL setup race bike suspension wise
Did you do the whole setup?

Front - Race Tech springs and emulators
Rear - Race tech spring and shock gold Valve

efforex

Did you do the whole setup?

Front - Race Tech springs and emulators
Rear - Race tech spring and shock gold Valve
So i am thinking about doing this next i am just no where near comprehending any of this its a lot to take in including i haven't worked on bikes ever till this one.

I am mechanically inclined with tools if directions are given i can follow but this seems like its out of my league my issue is i am 6'0 ft and 280 pounds i am on a diet and lost 20 pounds so far but i have never even in my football days been able to get under 225 so with that being said i would still be at the 1.0kg spring rate.

How is the install on this is it complicated can things be damaged really easily unfortunately i don't have much family support in the mechanical area its just me that knows the hands on type stuff and don't really have anyone to help so any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Chucker

The fronts are an easy install. I believe there's a "how to" somewhere. The rear shock is a little trickier, as you have to be able to get the weight off of the rear wheel to get the shock out. I took my shock into the dealer to swap out the spring as I couldn't find a spring compressor that would fit.

At the advice of a technician, I decided not to do the emulators. He suggested I try just changing the springs and putting in 15W oil. It works so well, I'm not going to bother with the emulators

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

efforex

I've heard somewhere that the race techs 1.0 can be pretty stiff for street riding and the Hyperpro are more comfortable. I'm 6'3 & the same weight. This was something I wanted to do this year but other things kept coming up.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah i am not sure

what springs did you guys use/ what weight are they. How do you ride on them

Chucker

Yeah i am not sure

what springs did you guys use/ what weight are they. How do you ride on them
I'm 6'2" and 200LB and I have the 1.0 kg/mm forks springs with 15W Belray oil and 19.6 kg/mm shock spring. I don't find them stiff at all, but then again, I was looking for a sportbike ride, not a luxury cruiser ride.

efforex

I'm 6'2" and 200LB and I have the 1.0 kg/mm forks springs with 15W Belray oil and 19.6 kg/mm shock spring. I don't find them stiff at all, but then again, I was looking for a sportbike ride, not a luxury cruiser ride.
So would i need to suspend the front end and completely disassemble the forks and tubes ? i would be very nervous doing this project lol

Chucker

To over simplify it, you just remove the forks, take the caps off, dump everything out, pump them several times while the oil drains out, put the new springs in, add the right amount of oil, cut the supplied preload spacer to the right length, put it in with the supplied washers, put the caps back on, put the forks back on the bike.

I have a triple tree stand. Made it a piece of cake. The shock is a different story, as I had to partially suspend the bike from a garage rafter (can't take all of the weight off or the swing arm drops), remove the shock, and then take it to the dealer for the spring swap. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

efforex

To over simplify it, you just remove the forks, take the caps off, dump everything out, pump them several times while the oil drains out, put the new springs in, add the right amount of oil, cut the supplied preload spacer to the right length, put it in with the supplied washers, put the caps back on, put the forks back on the bike.

I have a triple tree stand. Made it a piece of cake. The shock is a different story, as I had to partially suspend the bike from a garage rafter (can't take all of the weight off or the swing arm drops), remove the shock, and then take it to the dealer for the spring swap. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
I thinking of doing this for sure gonna see what a shop near me would charge cause i dont have the ability to really do it. (no where to lift the bike and all that noise)